Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 165 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not surprised to see Disney hesitate (especially with the optics of "Walt Disney World reopens, but Disneyland doesn't, because this state government says is isn't safe while this one does"), but I am surprised to see Seaworld drag their feet.
SeaWorld already publicly said “by the End of June” (which sounds right for SeaWorld and Uni, with Disney probably hitting shortly after the 4th), so I’m assuming their lack of presentation tomorrow isn’t them withholding, but more of a scheduling conflict.

Reactions: SeventyOne
I'm not surprised to see Disney hesitate (especially with the optics of "Walt Disney World reopens, but Disneyland doesn't, because this state government says is isn't safe while this one does"), but I am surprised to see Seaworld drag their feet.
I think the media would understand why DL isn’t opening given California’s current guidelines compared to FL.

I’m surprised Disney isn’t doing a presentation given their financial situation.

Reactions: Andysol
I think the media would understand why DL isn’t opening given California’s current guidelines compared to FL.

I’m surprised Disney isn’t doing a presentation given their financial situation.

Do they need to do it by tomorrow or is doing it a few days really going to make a difference since it's Disney?

They're probably seeing how the opening of Disney Springs goes before committing to any kind of plan.

They're probably seeing how the opening of Disney Springs goes before committing to any kind of plan.

I am sure they will learn a lot from this DS experience!

I admire that they are being so strict and unbending.

People buying all that food and desserts... where do they go to eat it? Do they have tables set up everywhere outside other than just benches?

They may also want Uni to put their cards on the table first to see what they have to do and don't have to do.
I'm sure they already know what Universal is going to say because they've been working together on determining procedures for reopening. I'd bet Disney just doesn't want the PR risk.

Reactions: Andysol
I'm sure they already know what Universal is going to say because they've been working together on determining procedures for reopening. I'd bet Disney just doesn't want the PR risk.
I'm sure we'll at the very least get word from Disney on when they expect to submit their reopening plan. They're going to have to give some sort of update, i'd think.

Reactions: Clive
Great point

All the Twitter rage of “ZOMG a theme park opening?!?!? Disney wants to kill people and are putting money over lives!” Will now send all that attention to UOR instead.
Then when they come out later, the defenders can say “everyone else is”.

Why these companies care about Twitter reactions, I’ll never know. Yet they do.

It's not about what Universal is going to say. It's going to be what the County/State is going to say about Uni's proposal.

I have to say, one thing that made me laugh while at Disney Springs was seeing the Mulan photo op at the AMC and then looking at the posters for movies that were in theaters back then. There’s still a Knives Out and Rise of Skywalker poster up! :lol:

The crazy thing is that the Mulan photo op can just stay up for the July 24th release, now.

It isn't tough talk. @Joe has it right. They're basically legally obligated to pursue until they're forced to cancel... which is how Florida plans to restart the economy, by kind of forcing it to.

Correct, when it comes to conventions and contracts with hotels and venues, you can't just cancel on a whim on your own. There is serious penalties involved if that happens, to the point where it can effectively kill a convention for good.

In a situation like this, the convention is hoping for the Force Majeure clause to take effect. It's pretty much the only way a convention can be cancelled and the con itself can still go on in the future. This is in every contract and usually it's the hotel/venue themselves and/or a government order which enacts it. A lot of conventions out there have been able to cancel with no problem due to their governments barring large groups during the time they were planning to run.

However if a government is trying to reopen/reopens before a conventions date and the con has yet to cancel...it's gonna' be a rough year for that con.

Status
Not open for further replies.