Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 163 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The preponderance of Disney’s operations can’t work from home. Theme park operations and film production has to occur in SoCal. Picking up and moving the Burbank functions would cost Disney millions and cripple how they function for years. And Disney and the state governments know it.
Well, film productions don’t have to stick with SoCal.

But your point stands. Disney’s infrastructure is a beast. They can’t pivot. Even the smallest change in stride requires a Herculean effort. It’s not like they’re singular entity. Disney is multiple film and TV production companies; multiple television networks; multiple content hubs; multiple distribution companies; multiple resorts; multiple parks; they are dozens and dozens of huge businesses that try to form like Voltron, but it’s very cumbersome at the end of the day. More than half of Disney’s employees can’t work remotely.

I feel comfortable saying that I work for a similar kind of organization (in a very dull, non-creative role, fwiw). Everyone on my team — and I assume everyone in our department, but I’m not sure — has been told that we can work from home for the rest of the year, if we want. Same goes for other teams from other departments that I am in contact with — they’ve basically been told they can work from home indefinitely. And I have a hunch that it will turn from “if you want” to “now you have to,” so the organization can save a little on having to make our offices COVID-compatible, which won’t be cheap for anyone in CA.

But our departments make up a pretty sizable chunk of the overall organization. The aspects that aren’t feasible via telecommute are smaller than Disney’s, and they’re much more seamlessly integrated; they can think more creatively because they’re pretty agile by comparison.

I have absolutely zero legitimate insight into this kinda thing, but my sense is that a lot of folks are smelling blood in the water with Disney. Sharks circling, etc.

The preponderance of Disney’s operations can’t work from home. Theme park operations and film production has to occur in SoCal. Picking up and moving the Burbank functions would cost Disney millions and cripple how they function for years. And Disney and the state governments know it.
If only Disney had a competent video game arm...

Well, film productions don’t have to stick with SoCal.

But your point stands. Disney’s infrastructure is a beast. They can’t pivot. Even the smallest change in stride requires a Herculean effort. It’s not like they’re singular entity. Disney is multiple film and TV production companies; multiple television networks; multiple content hubs; multiple distribution companies; multiple resorts; multiple parks; they are dozens and dozens of huge businesses that try to form like Voltron, but it’s very cumbersome at the end of the day. More than half of Disney’s employees can’t work remotely.

I feel comfortable saying that I work for a similar kind of organization (in a very dull, non-creative role, fwiw). Everyone on my team — and I assume everyone in our department, but I’m not sure — has been told that we can work from home for the rest of the year, if we want. Same goes for other teams from other departments that I am in contact with — they’ve basically been told they can work from home indefinitely. And I have a hunch that it will turn from “if you want” to “now you have to,” so the organization can save a little on having to make our offices COVID-compatible, which won’t be cheap for anyone in CA.

But our departments make up a pretty sizable chunk of the overall organization. The aspects that aren’t feasible via telecommute are smaller than Disney’s, and they’re much more seamlessly integrated; they can think more creatively because they’re pretty agile by comparison.

I have absolutely zero legitimate insight into this kinda thing, but my sense is that a lot of folks are smelling blood in the water with Disney. Sharks circling, etc.

Funny you bring this up... we're trying to close a deal for a film we want to make this year, but the script calls for New York City and New Haven, Connecticut. Obviously that's not going to be feasible most likely for many months, so Iceland has come up as a potential solution... we'd have to get creative in how locations are cheated, but it's being discussed...

EDIT: Reading the rest of your reply, I fear your scenario might be more on the uncommon side. I know of at least two major studios that are looking to reopen offices as soon as humanly possible and are taking all the prescribed precautions in modifying operations to make it happen.

Funny you bring this up... we're trying to close a deal for a film we want to make this year, but the script calls for New York City and New Haven, Connecticut. Obviously that's not going to be feasible most likely for many months, so Iceland has come up as a potential solution... we'd have to get creative in how locations are cheated, but it's being discussed...

EDIT: Reading the rest of your reply, I fear your scenario might be more on the uncommon side. I know of at least two major studios that are looking to reopen offices as soon as humanly possible and are taking all the prescribed precautions in modifying operations to make it happen.
Iceland. So hot right now. If only they offered a tax credit, they’d be the new Georgia.

And I don’t work for a studio. The company I work for owns a studio, but I very rarely interface with anyone over there, and like I said, I know those aspects of the organization are trying to be as creative as possible at the moment, in more ways than one. My job, meanwhile, is very boring, I promise.

• Haha
Reactions: Andysol
Blumhouse is about to start filming and production on Universal lot in 3 weeks (just waiting for CA government to okay their plan) and Tyler Perry tudios in Atlanta is already about to allow filming on their lot too.

I wonder how much it costs and how involved it is to install UV neutralizers in existing AC vent systems? Would it cause a serious drag on air flow? I will peek into it tomorrow.
It’s a time/contact issue (the same goes for water UV systems). So you the larger the system, the harder it will be to maintain proper exposure time to the UV due to the increased flow and speed of the system.
Filtration is significantly more cost effective and easier than UV.
Wastewater, which needs to remove decal coliform, e-coli, etc, uses either chlorination/dechlorination or long exposure UV light for sterilization purposes.

No but could move other Disney operations

I think CA needs to wake up and see in the next area many people will be able to work from home meaning business can move out of CA and keep the CEO here if they enjoy the weather.
So Maybe they hurt Disney a little but Disney can fight back if they refuse to work with the company. If a gym can reopen where you sweat on everything then so can a theme park. So I just hope the leaders here allow parks to open by August
California is likely to lose (even more) businesses. That hasn’t been new and this will only increase the amount. But Disney will not be one of them.

Reactions: Clive and Grabnar

You want a cheap New York City? Come to Glasgow.

Isn’t that where they filmed that Brad Pitt zombie movie? They changed all the street signs etc...

Indeed it was, George Square in Glasgow was supposed to be a square in Philadelphia. They filmed in a few areas but that's probably the most iconic along with the Glasgow City Chambers. I was working in the city centre around that time, my ex girlfriend was adamant she was going to meet Brad. She didn't. I laughed. We parted ways not long after that...

So I’m on a plane right now. I’ll write up that experience if anyone is interested (spoiler: not terrible). But I’m also on southwest with 40% reduced capacity.

Masks walking long distance and then on a muggy plane isn’t the most pleasant experience.
But had this thought- what if Disney/Universal went with a “mouth only” face mask for those that chose? Allows people to breathe in through their nose (mucus and follicles to filter) and out through mouth. And even if they breathed out through nose, the air pushes straight down and still passes through mucus and follicles as well.
That obviously would allow you to breathe in air (and risk infection- but if everyone has a mouth mask it really wouldn’t be anymore of a risk), but still allow summer months to be operational. And obviously whoever is wearing a mask of that type would realize their additional risk they are taking while not exposing others to a risk.

That might make people more compliant/comfortable and as a side effect reiterate that the message that masks aren’t for the healthy but for spreading.

Reactions: Jerroddragon
So I’m on a plane right now. I’ll write up that experience if anyone is interested (spoiler: not terrible). But I’m also on southwest with 40% reduced capacity.

Masks walking long distance and then on a muggy plane isn’t the most pleasant experience.
But had this thought- what if Disney/Universal went with a “mouth only” face mask for those that chose? Allows people to breathe in through their nose (mucus and follicles to filter) and out through mouth. And even if they breathed out through nose, the air pushes straight down and still passes through mucus and follicles as well.
That obviously would allow you to breathe in air (and risk infection- but if everyone has a mouth mask it really wouldn’t be anymore of a risk), but still allow summer months to be operational. And obviously whoever is wearing a mask of that type would realize their additional risk they are taking while not exposing others to a risk.

That might make people more compliant/comfortable and as a side effect reiterate that the message that masks aren’t for the healthy but for spreading.
Until you sneeze....

• Haha
Reactions: Andysol
Sorry if this waiver stuff has already been discussed... :eek:O:

How many years will pass before we must endure cavity search before riding the Teacups... eesh
There's no actual waiver you sign, it's just wording on the website basically saying it's on you if you get coronavirus at Disney Springs. Since nobody's actually signing anything (and it's hidden on their website), I kinda doubt this would hold up in court if tested.

There's no actual waiver you sign, it's just wording on the website basically saying it's on you if you get coronavirus at Disney Springs. Since nobody's actually signing anything (and it's hidden on their website), I kinda doubt this would hold up in court if tested.
Suing them for getting it wouldn’t hold up in court either. It’s a known issue you are willingly putting your self into. No chance at suing a company for getting a virus.

Reactions: Nick
Indeed it was, George Square in Glasgow was supposed to be a square in Philadelphia. They filmed in a few areas but that's probably the most iconic along with the Glasgow City Chambers. I was working in the city centre around that time, my ex girlfriend was adamant she was going to meet Brad. She didn't. I laughed. We parted ways not long after that...

Yeah, we all had a good laugh about that when the trailer came out.

Reactions: Jeepers Reaper
Suing them for getting it wouldn’t hold up in court either. It’s a known issue you are willingly putting your self into. No chance at suing a company for getting a virus.
I'm not saying that suing them for getting it would hold up. What i'm saying is that Disney's "waiver" is meaningless and itself wouldn't stand up in court against someone if there was a real case to be had.

Actually it’s posted as you enter Disney Springs in several spots. Still think it’s not going to stop ambulance chasers. Heck they have warnings posted at all the rides and folks still sue them.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Actually it’s posted as you enter Disney Springs in several spots. Still think it’s not going to stop ambulance chasers. Heck they have warnings posted at all the rides and folks still sue them.

The main issue, in addition to the waiver, would be proving your only point of exposure was Disney Springs. Given the long incubation period and the fact you can get it pretty much anywhere, becomes effectively impossible to prove where you got it.

(Also all the effective ambulance-chasers in Orlando are on retainer for the Mouse, so conflict of interest.COVID may be new but people trying to make a buck off Disney are not.)

The main issue, in addition to the waiver, would be proving your only point of exposure was Disney Springs. Given the long incubation period and the fact you can get it pretty much anywhere, becomes effectively impossible to prove where you got it.

(Also all the effective ambulance-chasers in Orlando are on retainer for the Mouse, so conflict of interest.COVID may be new but people trying to make a buck off Disney are not.)
Again, anyone trying to sue Disney isn't going to win. But my point was that their Waiver just itself I don't think would hold up as a piece of evidence in court. Signs are easy to pass by without noticing so unless you make someone actually sign a waiver, it's a pretty useless waiver from my POV.

Reactions: SeventyOne
Status
Not open for further replies.