Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 162 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So obviously no one knows the future or how this pandemic will turn out.

The media and others have been using terms like "Post Covid-19 World" or "New Era". I kind of see these terms as buzzwords to make things sound dramatic(even though we are in a very troubling situation).

Do people believe that precautions like wearing masks, spacing queues, virtual queues, limiting capacity...etc...will be permanent? Even if a vaccine or medication is developed?

I know there is no proper answer to this, I am just curious to see what others think.

The media and others have been using terms like "Post Covid-19 World" or "New Era". I kind of see these terms as buzzwords to make things sound dramatic(even though we are in a very troubling situation).

Do people believe that precautions like wearing masks, spacing queues, virtual queues, limiting capacity...etc...will be permanent? Even if a vaccine or medication is developed?

I know there is no proper answer to this, I am just curious to see what others think.

No. Once a vaccine (or extremely reliable, effective treatment) is established and disseminated, I think most of the world will spring back into a familiar status quo, albeit hopefully one with a greater emphasis on basic hygiene and sanitation (i.e. cleaning things regularly, washing hands with soap, etc.)

In Theory, lets say by August we are the same we are now and the Governor keeps allowing the date to be pushed back and Disney World is open...I just don't get why Disneyland would stay shut.

I'd LOVEEE to see the response if Disney is like we are reopening like in Florida. Who would they call in? The cops? Because I doubt the national guard would shut down Disney.

But it will be interesting for sure if cases seem to be going like they are now and CA stays shut down, at what point do Businesses just safely reopen, laws or not.
The state/county wouldn’t call the cops on a corporation like Disney; they fine them and eliminate any tax breaks they’ve been given.

That’s something the state can unilaterally do that Disney can’t do anything about. What are going to do? Move Disneyland?

Reactions: SeventyOne
No. Once a vaccine (or extremely reliable, effective treatment) is established and disseminated, I think most of the world will spring back into a familiar status quo, albeit hopefully one with a greater emphasis on basic hygiene and sanitation (i.e. cleaning things regularly, washing hands with soap, etc.)

Thats what I hope for as well.

When it comes to to building new attractions I hope they can be designed with hygiene and normalcy in mind, with minimal sacrifices to theming.

Being realistic? No significant changes to park design. I think virtual queues were already coming simply due to space concerns and time maximization even before covid-19. Masks I'd like to see become permanent but I'm coming to the conclusion that Americans are too selfish to widely adopt it, but we'll see what happens in the next 18 months.

Architecturally/design-wise I think the largest change will be in airflow. I'd guess that newly designed buildings might have a new specification for or focus on number of air turnovers per hour as well as direction/flow paths. Companies might be more inclined to get better filtration for their air conditioners as well; HEPA substantially cuts down on the number of virus particles, and UV light destroys them generally.

Last edited:
Being realistic? No significant changes to park design. I think virtual queues were already coming simply due to space concerns and time maximization even before covid-19. Masks I'd like to see become permanent but I'm coming to the conclusion that Americans are too selfish to widely adopt it, but we'll see what happens in the next 18 months.

Architecturally/design-wise I think the largest change will be airflow changes. I'd guess that newly designed buildings might have a new specification for or focus on number of air turnovers per hour as well as direction/flow paths. Companies might be more inclined to get better filtration for their air conditioners as well; HEPA substantially cuts down on the number of virus particles, and UV light destroys them generally.

By permanent use do you mean them being required or the USA adopting them culturally? Besides the obvious health benefits is there another reason you would like to see them adopted? Just curious.

Thinking in terms of the US (and mostly theme parks):
Things like increased sanitization, availability of hand sanitizer, and movement towards mobile ordering will probably become permanent.
I think most temperature checks will be temporary, but I could see some walk-through temp checks staying in places that already have security theater infrastructure in place (Cruises, airports, parks?, etc.).
Requirements for masks, distancing, and strict capacity limits are likely temporary, but I expect them to be around for at least a couple years until a vaccine has widespread adoption and COVID-19 is no longer "a thing".

Reactions: redy2468

FWIW, when people talk about a “new normal,” I think what they are referring to is life with COVID-19, not necessarily post-COVID. Nobody knows when a vaccine will be attainable, let alone completed. Could be next year, could just as easily (if not more easily) be two or three years. Point being: As the curve flattens and things reopen, there’s going to be a period of time (however long it is) where we have to live under the constant threat of the virus. That's going to create a lot of change in the immediate, and it will probably change a lot of things permanently, just hard to say what, exactly.

I feel like traditional queues will be more or less a thing of the past; virtual queues will be a huge asset in social distancing, and eventually they'll just become the norm. I also think the parks will enforce "one way" forms of egress as they reopen, and then that could just sorta become a new normal as people get used to it. (It's more efficient, when you think about it.) Hopefully masks are normalized, like they are in Asian countries, and you won't get looked at twice for wearing one.

One of the people I know called back to Universal is a scheduler called in to start creating schedules for the first week of June.
To respond to this one more time... if TMs are being scheduled for the first week of June, that means it should be reflected on the schedule they would normally receive Thursday as that's two weeks out from the week of 5/31-6/6.

It's possible we hear rumblings about it Thursday, otherwise they'll be calling people to come in if they really want them for the first week of June.

I'm optimistic about the future of tourism and travel after this pandemic. Every time I've traveled to Europe (yes, I realize how privileged this sounds, and I know I'm lucky to have visited frequently), I've caught something on the plane ride there, or the plane ride back home. I'm hoping this pandemic minimizes the number of sick travelers, has more travelers wearing masks, and requires airlines and tourist destinations to be proactive in sanitation efforts.

As for the theme park industry as a whole, this will be a positive change towards better healthcare coverage and sick leave for employees of the parks.

By permanent use do you mean them being required or the USA adopting them culturally? Besides the obvious health benefits is there another reason you would like to see them adopted? Just curious.
I mean the US adopting them culturally, but if I'm being completely honest I'd be 100% fine for them to be mandatory during cold/flu season. That's just me personally because I know a lot of people with really bad hygiene who just cough into open air, etc.

I feel like traditional queues will be more or less a thing of the past; virtual queues will be a huge asset in social distancing, and eventually they'll just become the norm. I also think the parks will enforce "one way" forms of egress as they reopen, and then that could just sorta become a new normal as people get used to it. (It's more efficient, when you think about it.) Hopefully masks are normalized, like they are in Asian countries, and you won't get looked at twice for wearing one.

Virtual queues are already super successful. F&F:Supercharged has one and I never see it with a long line!

I mean the US adopting them culturally, but if I'm being completely honest I'd be 100% fine for them to be mandatory during cold/flu season. That's just me personally because I know a lot of people with really bad hygiene who just cough into open air, etc.

Virtual queues are already super successful. F&F:Supercharged has one and I never see it with a long line!
I think F&F doesn't have a long line for 'other' reasons, namely not many like the attraction....Heck they rarely even use the virtual line for that attraction anymore anyway. They even cut down on the number of trams running, and often only use one instead of the original two together, and then only two halfs on the whole loop.....and previously they quit the virtual line on the Pter. Fliers and ended the test run on Despicable Me after two weeks....so no, the virtual line really only has been successful for Fallon, mostly because it's a different type of attraction with the numerous pre show sets.

Last edited:
As we have seen tourism star back up again regionally, the only change in behavior I've seen is additional space between parties in lines.

2-6 feet between family groups in line at the check out counter. They then go pick a table directly next to another party like they've never heard the term social distance.

As far as parks go, the only long term change I see is little additional sanitation of public surfaces, and extra hand washing/sanitizing. As people accept CV as normal the current measures will largely disappear.

Reactions: Mad Dog
As we have seen tourism star back up again regionally, the only change in behavior I've seen is additional space between parties in lines.

2-6 feet between family groups in line at the check out counter. They then go pick a table directly next to another party like they've never heard the term social distance.

As far as parks go, the only long term change I see is little additional sanitation of public surfaces, and extra hand washing/sanitizing. As people accept CV as normal the current measures will largely disappear.
Reality.

I think F&F doesn't have a long line for 'other' reasons, namely not many like the attraction....Heck they rarely even use the virtual line for that attraction anymore anyway. They even cut down on the number of trams running, and often only use one instead of the original two together, and then only two halfs on the whole loop.....and previously they quit the virtual line on the Pter. Fliers and ended the test run on Despicable Me after two weeks....so no, the virtual line really only has been successful for Fallon, mostly because it's a different type of attraction with the numerous pre show sets.

I think Grabnar was making a joke...

Companies might be more inclined to get better filtration for their air conditioners as well; HEPA substantially cuts down on the number of virus particles, and UV light destroys them generally.

I wonder how much it costs and how involved it is to install UV neutralizers in existing AC vent systems? Would it cause a serious drag on air flow? I will peek into it tomorrow.

Reactions: Mad Dog
The state/county wouldn’t call the cops on a corporation like Disney; they fine them and eliminate any tax breaks they’ve been given.

That’s something the state can unilaterally do that Disney can’t do anything about. What are going to do? Move Disneyland?
No but could move other Disney operations

I think CA needs to wake up and see in the next area many people will be able to work from home meaning business can move out of CA and keep the CEO here if they enjoy the weather.
So Maybe they hurt Disney a little but Disney can fight back if they refuse to work with the company. If a gym can reopen where you sweat on everything then so can a theme park. So I just hope the leaders here allow parks to open by August

No but could move other Disney operations

I think CA needs to wake up and see in the next area many people will be able to work from home meaning business can move out of CA and keep the CEO here if they enjoy the weather.
So Maybe they hurt Disney a little but Disney can fight back if they refuse to work with the company. If a gym can reopen where you sweat on everything then so can a theme park. So I just hope the leaders here allow parks to open by August
The preponderance of Disney’s operations can’t work from home. Theme park operations and film production has to occur in SoCal. Picking up and moving the Burbank functions would cost Disney millions and cripple how they function for years. And Disney and the state governments know it.

Status
Not open for further replies.