Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 160 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don’t know if anyone saw this, but someone is eager. I know there are many variables but this is exciting

I'm hoping they open soon in Florida....test out the system then roll it out in California not too long after. Sometime in late July or early August

My plans are still active for next month but I'm guessing that this is going to change soon enough.
I’m currently in the process of booking a Royal Caribbean cruise for next month as crazy as that sounds, only for the fact that they are offering a “lift and shift” deal. After booking, you can shift dates to next year, which are well over double the price.

I’m more than willing to throw down $1400 on a cruise that would otherwise be $4000 next summer and I don’t have to pay any extra to make the move.

Although you better bet I’m buying travel insurance :lol:

I’m currently in the process of booking a Royal Caribbean cruise for next month as crazy as that sounds, only for the fact that they are offering a “lift and shift” deal. After booking, you can shift dates to next year, which are well over double the price.

I’m more than willing to throw down $1400 on a cruise that would otherwise be $4000 next summer and I don’t have to pay any extra to make the move.

Did the same with some Southwest flights I booked recently... stumbled across the same sort of lift and shift policy, so I booked the cheapest flights in that window and then immediately changed them to the dates I actually wanted with no fare increase. Saved $40 each direction :lol:

Reactions: SeventyOne

Travel insurance has become a tricky situation here in the UK as COVID will no longer be an excuse not to travel in new insurance.

The kind of deal that you’re getting is probably a sign of things to come as companies need cash flow.

It’s becoming a buyers market.

Here in the Netherlands we are "slowly" going back to normal. The past months my city center wasn't that crowded but this happened this weekend:
View attachment 12216
A lot of Germans jump over the border into the Netherlands for their entertainment and to eat fries (for whatever reason they are better here than in Germany I guess). Shopping has the 1.5meter rule implemented and only "to go" food can be bought as restaurants are still closed. I'm waiting for the second wave of Covid-19 in 3, 2, 1...

wow. We were in Amsterdam when everything shut down. Before that day it was relatively busy, but nothing crazy. But after that day. The city was so
much quieter. Nothing like that.

Reactions: tielo
Did the same with some Southwest flights I booked recently... stumbled across the same sort of lift and shift policy, so I booked the cheapest flights in that window and then immediately changed them to the dates I actually wanted with no fare increase. Saved $40 each direction :lol:
That’s been going on for a few months. I’ve made quite a killing on it, actually. Lol
Congrats!

Yeah, TMs are still going to have to go back, retrain for safety positions at attractions, set the rides up for the distancing standards, etc. I don't have a single Team Captain/Lead friend that has been called back in yet. Might be jumping ahead of ourselves here with the assumptions. I think they'll wait a bit longer to see how the phased reopenings shake out.

I'll take that bet. I'll say no.
Seconded. I only see smaller, local players going public with reopening plans. At best, Universal and Disney say they are opening more of their shopping/dining districts. Maybe even a hotel.
I'm gonna third this based on everything I know.

Places like Fun Spot opening soon-ish and maybe the attractions at Icon Park sounds like something that might happen, but the vibe i'm getting is Disney and Universal are looking at Late June/Early July. Like I said in a previous post, I know a lot of Full-timers in a very essential position at Universal (and there's a lot of communication between everyone) and the most i'm hearing is that they're getting jobs elsewhere for the time being.

Even though they're being paid?
They're being paid at 80% and the amount paid is based on the average amount of hours worked in the weeks leading up to the closure. So if you were already out due to coronavirus or weren't able to work as much as normal, then it's possible some of them are getting paid very little right now. I have a friend who was out since February with a real bad sickness and because of that, she's getting paid nothing right now even though she's full time.

Also, some people just need fulfillment and a sense of purpose.

@Nick, I'm sorry for your friend. That really stinks. :( I usually work 32 hours a week, and I happened to pick up an additional day during President's Day weekend to get that holiday pay - that really helped me out when they calculated my average pay till 4/19 and then the 80% afterwards.

I'm seeing some changes in my hours. During the pandemic, I had been scheduled 1-2 days a week. For this next schedule, I'm working 3 days. Talks of prepping for opening of the resort. I don't take that to mean like, in 2 weeks or anything.

Reactions: JoeCamel
Status
Not open for further replies.