The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020) | Page 340 | Inside Universal Forums

The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't doubt it, I mean Eillish is a hot commodity in the music world right now, she conquered the awards, the music world, she's green as money to people so of course she's going to be top dog in the music world and it definitely caught interest from Universal in working with her. It's not that Slipknot, Maiden and Zombie aren't legends and don't deserve a spot, it's like I said before, it's what the trend is nowadays, flavor of the month and all that stuff, I'm not bothered by it, but if I was given the choice, I'd honestly would have passed on her and let Hollywood deal with it, if anything I'd trade for Slashs' Clown 3D house lol but if I wanted to get the event skyrocketing a bit and have people rushing to the event, especially her fans, you'd have to bring her in whether her own house or show.

Last edited:
I'm not sure anyone is actually questioning this but...

If you go by Google Trends popularity over the last 2.5 years or so and compare the bands/artists that have been brought up, it's not even close.
  1. Eilish has more than 5x the average 'interest' of
  2. Slipknot which has 2x the average 'interest' of
  3. Iron Maiden which has 2x the average 'interest' of
  4. Rob Zombie
Ellish is very popular but she doesn’t fit in hhn iron maiden,slipknot and rob zombie do.

I'm not sure anyone is actually questioning this but...

If you go by Google Trends popularity over the last 2.5 years or so and compare the bands/artists that have been brought up, it's not even close.
  1. Eilish has more than 5x the average 'interest' of
  2. Slipknot which has 2x the average 'interest' of
  3. Iron Maiden which has 2x the average 'interest' of
  4. Rob Zombie
There's very few artists from any genre of music that are even within the same hemisphere as Billie right now, that's how popular she has become in just a short period of time.

But I think I've given up on trying to convince some of the HHN community on why featuring Billie is such a good move. No matter how many statistics and reasons we give, they inevitably shift the goal post.

Speaking on music.

I'd love a slipknot (and the like i.e Mushroomhead, Iron maiden, etc) house or zone or concerts even. They are still big but not as much as they were in their heyday. Plus they license their imagery to at least two haunts I know of. No clue how tight the deal is though.

That being said, heavy metal is in a re-growth stage right now. It might be worth exploring in the near future.

But as for now, part of marketing events in this era is drawing influencers to your event. The amount of "organic reach" HHN will get by having an exclusive Ellish ANYTHING is not worth ignoring.

My problem with the move is her crowd seems to skew younger... But I also understand having 40+ year old guys screaming at your face some pretty messed up lyrics isn't everyones cup of tea(Love me some slipknot btw, have a soft spot for RZ, but it is literally in every single haunted event soundtrack ever. Can we move on?) The event (and imo all halloween events) need to expand beyond the taste of those still stuck in the years of the early 2000's and modernize their imagery and soundtracks and tap further, and more organically into the new-age social media paradigm. Billie, in that regard (especially with a rumored lagoon show) is the perfect candidate to bringing her followers and social media influencers to the event.

I’m all for doing what makes money but to me Billie is one hit song with a couple less popular songs that sound the same. Fine if you want to add her music to a house to flaunt her name and bring more sales in but if she has a full maze of her own it won’t be at the top of my list to go in. Also the teens are right if you’re gonna do an Iron Maiden house might as well be Bobby “Boris” Pickett and the Crypt Kickers as far as they’re concerned.

There's very few artists from any genre of music that are even within the same hemisphere as Billie right now, that's how popular she has become in just a short period of time.

But I think I've given up on trying to convince some of the HHN community on why featuring Billie is such a good move. No matter how many statistics and reasons we give, they inevitably shift the goal post.
To be clear, I'm personally not pro Eilish at HHN. I don't see the fit and I'm not a fan of her music. However, it's plainly obvious that she is very popular, and I think trying to use the likes of Slipknot/Iron Maiden/Rob Zombie as comparables in drawing power is just silly.

I’m all for doing what makes money but to me Billie is one hit song with a couple less popular songs that sound the same. Fine if you want to add her music to a house to flaunt her name and bring more sales in but if she has a full maze of her own it won’t be at the top of my list to go in. Also the teens are right if you’re gonna do an Iron Maiden house might as well be Bobby “Boris” Pickett and the Crypt Kickers as far as they’re concerned.
You don’t advertise a song on a playlist. You advertise a house.

If iron maiden is going to get a maze popularity wouldn’t be an issue. They have had way less popular ips come to the event and they were fan favourites ( killer klowns).

Here’s the thing to remember:

Hollywood got Alice Cooper because Murdy wanted to meet Alice Cooper. Orlando got Alice Cooper because Murdy wanted to hang out with Alice Cooper a second year.

Orlando got Penn and Teller because Penn and Teller wanted a house at HHN (and they performed at Fright Nights).

The rumor surrounding Eilish is that Marketing wanted Eilish, and they forced the house on Orlando.

Rob Zombie happened because it was a double-book with HoTC.

Orlando doesn’t seek these things out. They happen by circumstance or are forced on them higher.

Can we stop talking about Iron Maiden?

Last edited:
Are we sure Billie fans aren't already going? I mean, she's a fan of the event and people are lemmings, so they've probably tried to see her there. Also, I've heard her music involves the type of themes prevalent at HHN. Just thinking out loud.
Let’s say general pop culture public has money to spend and wants to go places, what would appeal to a ‘see and be seen spender’ more: the Gathering of the Juggalos or Coachella? Go see Terrifier or IT? Party in Ocean City, MD or Ibiza?

Like @Legacy said HHN already has the Rob Zombie/Slipknot/Iron Maiden crowd, but in order to keep the gates open they also have to make some room for the general public everybody-has-heard-of-it crowd. So with the horror visuals + sound, and the overall current cultural relevancy, that’s where Billie Eilish fits in.
My problem with the move is her crowd seems to skew younger... But I also understand having 40+ year old guys screaming at your face some pretty messed up lyrics isn't everyones cup of tea(Love me some slipknot btw, have a soft spot for RZ, but it is literally in every single haunted event soundtrack ever. Can we move on?) The event (and imo all halloween events) need to expand beyond the taste of those still stuck in the years of the early 2000's and modernize their imagery and soundtracks and tap further, and more organically into the new-age social media paradigm. Billie, in that regard (especially with a rumored lagoon show) is the perfect candidate to bringing her followers and social media influencers to the event.

j feel like there is gonna be a huge overlap over the fans of stranger things and Billie Eilish, stranger things brought up a lot of teens to hhn.

i am not sure who is bigger, Billie or stranger things. i mean, realistically speaking, will Billie Eilish bring the crowds stranger things did? i dont know.

stranger things was so massive, i am sure the overlap is huge already

and Billie Eilish is big in America and europe, but iron maiden is gigantic world wide, they had one of the biggest concerts of all time in Brazil, massive giant crowds.
crowds that Rob zombie would only dream of lol
iron mayden is a global juggernaut, probably billions of fans. (bigger than metallica)
i fully understand Billie Eilish is the hot new thing, but can she get these crowds world wide? i think a hhn house would bring in foreign tourists
while Billie Eilish will bring in local teens

XOq4mVd.jpg

Here’s the thing to remember:

Hollywood got Alice Cooper because Murdy wanted to meet Alice Cooper. Orlando got Alice Cooper because Murdy wanted to hang out with Alice Cooper a second year.

Orlando got Penn and Teller because Penn and Teller wanted a house at HHN (and they performed at Fright Nights).

The rumor surrounding Eilish is that Marketing wanted Eilish, and they forced the house on Orlando.

Rob Zombie happened because it was a double-book with HoTC.

Orlando doesn’t seek these things out. They happen by circumstance or are forced on them higher.

Can we stop talking about Iron Maiden?

with the success of rob zombie as a zone, would they not want to repeat something similar? maybe not a house, but another rock scarezone? another rock band?
specially when so many people praised the scarezone?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ringwraith
with the success of rob zombie as a zone, would they not want to repeat something similar? maybe not a house, but another rock scarezone? another rock band?
specially when so many people praised the scarezone?
You do realize the “success” of anything A&D creates is successful because of how A&D creates it? It could have just as easily been a colossal failure. It wasn’t successful because it was Rob Zombie; it was successful because it was well designed.

Orlando has had decades of opportunities to bring in rock bands. They have never sought them out themselves though. We have no reason to believe they’ll do so now.

And you can talk about Iron Maiden’s popularity in Brazil, but HHN isn’t advertised in Brazil. It’s advertised in....um... that’s right. America and Europe.

I mean, Iron maiden is big... But is how many 45+ year old people are dying to go to a Theme park to experience a house based on their music? And how many "metal influencers" are actually out there? The bands time hasnt quite come and gone, and they certainly are popular enough, but what bankable draw will their ip actually have? Might as well do an original and spend less money for some of these acts mentioned, and less headache getting the needs of the artist met to make the deal and design the attraction. I assure you, Billie would be more than worth the headache. Iron maiden? Probably not.

Reactions: OhHaiInternet95
On the Iron Maiden Vs Billie discussion, the former has more fans NOT on social media but will spend lots more money because they have it than the later which will "advertise" what they are doing more on social media but spend much less money at an event. Not sure which is better for the event business wise?
As for Scarezones, if they eliminate them I will skip this year. They need to do what they think is right for safety, but HHN without zones is just not worth the thousands of $$$ I spend to go every year. I personally think they will have zones, just modified to keep staff safe. They already have a disclaimer for guests, their bigger concern is keeping employees safe I would think.

You do realize the “success” of anything A&D creates is successful because of how A&D creates it? It could have just as easily been a colossal failure. It wasn’t successful because it was Rob Zombie; it was successful because it was well designed.

Orlando has had decades of opportunities to bring in rock bands. They have never sought them out themselves though. We have no reason to believe they’ll do so now.

And you can talk about Iron Maiden’s popularity in Brazil, but HHN isn’t advertised in Brazil. It’s advertised in....um... that’s right. America and Europe.

why do you hate iron maiden? you sound upset.

I mean, Iron maiden is big... But is how many 45+ year old people are dying to go to a Theme park to experience a house based on their music? And how many "metal influencers" are actually out there? The bands time hasnt quite come and gone, and they certainly are popular enough, but what bankable draw will their ip actually have? Might as well do an original and spend less money for some of these acts mentioned, and less headache getting the needs of the artist met to make the deal and design the attraction. I assure you, Billie would be more than worth the headache. Iron maiden? Probably not.

true but this could also be said for killer klowns from outer space, i know one IP is a movie and another one is a music group, but the age of the fanbase has to be the same, i mean, how many teenagers were fans of killer klowns from outer space were there before they came to hhn?
killer klowns from outer space as a property didnt even had a huge fan base to begin with, what you are saying about maiden is true, but if we look at the movies that hhn used, there are some IPs that appeal to 45+ people (even Rocky horror picture show is one of those properties)

i guess your post makes me wonder why something like killer klowns from outer space was even used for HHN, killer klowns from outer space is a very small IP.
about the headache to get them, you are right, but i already said before that these bands might say no or be hard to work with. that is true, the only reason iron mayden is being brought up is because their mascot is tailor made for HHN and their cd covers would fit as rooms. (but iron maiden is not even my favorite band, i dont really listen to them much) i guess the rob zombie/ billie eilish ips makes you wonder about other music groups. and iron maiden also fits the retro 80s vibe they have for retro houses at hhn. every year seems to get their retro 80s house, maiden would fit

at the end of the day, it will be very interesting how successful billie eilish is, how good the house is, and im curious what other teen band they bring for hhn, because if marketing wanted billie eilish, they probably want other music groups too

On the Iron Maiden Vs Billie discussion, the former has more fans NOT on social media but will spend lots more money because they have it than the later which will "advertise" what they are doing more on social media but spend much less money at an event. Not sure which is better for the event business wise?
As for Scarezones, if they eliminate them I will skip this year. They need to do what they think is right for safety, but HHN without zones is just not worth the thousands of $$$ I spend to go every year. I personally think they will have zones, just modified to keep staff safe. They already have a disclaimer for guests, their bigger concern is keeping employees safe I would think.

what if they make scarezones with no actors but with puppets and special effects? or a couple of actors controlling the effects? would you go?
maybe all scarezones get actors on stilts, that could be a possibility too, have stages, puppets and a couple stilt actors?

Last edited:
why do you hate iron maiden?
I don’t hate Iron Maiden. I honestly don’t care about Iron Maiden. I can’t think of a single one of their songs. It’s entirely possible I’ve never even heard any of their music before.

What I hate are unnecessary and incessant conversations about what is or isn’t “appropriate” for HHN. If it shows up, someone decided it was appropriate. It’s not our place, as fans, to pass judgement on it. It’s there. Move on.

There are objective reasons why Billie Eilish is rumored, just as there are objective reasons why previous albums appeared beyond “appropriateness,” and there are objective reasons why Universal hasn’t pursued other bands. Personal opinion doesn’t matter. The situation just IS.

But, there’s now two pages of discussion about a band with no connection to HHN other than “want,” stemming from fans who refuse to accept that Universal is more interested in marketing to teens and early 20-something’s who like pop music than cater to the taste of fans who are showing up to the event regardless of what the houses are.

If you want to talk about Iron Maiden, Rammstein, Slipknot, or Kenny G, take it to the Wishful Thinking thread. If you’re sore that Universal could bring Billie Eilish to the event, tough. Her visuals work. The music can work. If you can’t see that, that’s your own lack of creativity. Every year, there’s a least one anticipated, “I don’t know how this will work,” house that ends becoming a fan favorite. I HOPE it’s Billie this year. I hope Beetlejuice is a wet fart and Billie Eilish is a GOAT, because the petulant gatekeeping on the topic has been infuriating.

That’s what I hate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.