Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Kings Island General Discussion

Someone brought up that it might be because they use different wheels for testing. I wouldn't expect this thing to be as fast on opening day.
What? I've never heard of that before.
This is true for B&M. They bring several sets of wheels with different formulas for the polyethylene. Harder is faster and rougher. Softer is slower and smoother. They try and strike a balance.

So, we can now reserve space at Kings Island. I thought that I was going to go on July 7 but my friend coaxed me into golfing instead. He argued that he doesn't want to wear a mask in 90 degree heat. I couldn't really argue with him but I might still go very soon, even if it is by myself. Or maybe in the evening, if spots are available. KI has only put out a July schedule. August and later months will be posted later on.

One additional note. The park is only open until 7:00 PM.

So, we can now reserve space at Kings Island. I thought that I was going to go on July 7 but my friend coaxed me into golfing instead. He argued that he doesn't want to wear a mask in 90 degree heat. I couldn't really argue with him but I might still go very soon, even if it is by myself. Or maybe in the evening, if spots are available. KI has only put out a July schedule. August and later months will be posted later on.
Your friend is very wise. :) ;)

You can't go wrong with a B&M Giga

It is making it very difficult to not just sign up and go. One friend didn't want to wear a mask all day. I'm about ready to just go myself, masked up, to just ride Orion, Banshee, and Diamondback. Maybe even Mystic Timber. Ride them and then probably clear out. Maybe Stunt Coaster if the line is short.

It is making it very difficult to not just sign up and go. One friend didn't want to wear a mask all day. I'm about ready to just go myself, masked up, to just ride Orion, Banshee, and Diamondback. Maybe even Mystic Timber. Ride them and then probably clear out. Maybe Stunt Coaster if the line is short.
If I lived close enough I would go

Throw in a few beers between the coasters and it sounds like a delightful day.

Throw in a few beers between the coasters and it sounds like a delightful day.

I'll let you have my beers. I am kind of waiting to see how the first week goes with just season pass holders. Then, I'll firm up a decision. KI has not released their August schedule yet and so I don't know how that will look.

Orion update: The ride opened to rave reviews, with the drop and intensity in some areas getting a ton of praise. Apparently there is, in fact, airtime on the non-wave-turn thing. Night rides are said to be absolutely fantastic and unforgetable.

The line for Orion today is MASSIVE. Stretches out to beyond Backlot Stunt Coaster, near Beast.

Orion update: The ride opened to rave reviews, with the drop and intensity in some areas getting a ton of praise. Apparently there is, in fact, airtime on the non-wave-turn thing. Night rides are said to be absolutely fantastic and unforgetable.

The line for Orion today is MASSIVE. Stretches out to beyond Backlot Stunt Coaster, near Beast.
The new area looks great

And the lighting package with the soundtrack at night is simply magical

Can't go wrong with a B&M Giga...hyper....whatever you want to classify Orion as

Fury 325 is still waaaaay higher on my bucket list than Orion.

Alright. I had several hours between meetings today and figured that I could go to Kings Island on my lunch hour. That's what I did. The temperature screening was a breeze, helped no doubt by the fact that the park was not busy that early (took an early lunch). Walked in and saw the familiar summertime view of the Eiffel Tower (1/3 scale but still larger than Disney's) and International Street. Since I didn't have time to spare, I quick-walked to Orion. The park was clean and everyone was wearing masks. On a side note, masks actually help some people look better, including myself in some people's eyes. I had arrived at 11:05 and waited in a line outside of the ride queue as Orion wasn't open yet. After 15 minutes or so of cycling empty trains, they let us in. Nice queue and has some covered areas that will help on those days when you are in the slow moving line on a hot afternoon. I asked for and rode in the back row.

The lift is fairly quick, even for a chain lift, and we were cresting before I had time to really look around and compare how big Diamondback looked (too far away to compare in all honesty). The first drop was good and then the wave turn was pretty nice. From there, it seemed like just three more hills and done. The ride felt too short, as if it were missing about half of the layout. Plus, it felt just a little higher than Diamondback and Diamondback definitely has more positive/negative g-forces. I had read that people grayed out on the upward helix on Orion but it didn't faze me. I actually gray out on Backlot Stunt Coaster's helix following the launch but not on Orion.

Overall, it's a good ride but not a great one. It will be loved by the general public for certain. However, for me, it showed that they need to diversify their coaster lineup with some different manufacturers. It just felt too similar to Diamondback but without some of Diamondback's defining moments. I enjoy Millennium Force far more as a giga. After riding, I hustled back out to the car and returned to my subterranean lair and resumed my work day.

It’s very telling when the GCI (although it’s a good one) is the best thing going in your park full of colossal roller coasters. Idk what it is about KI but they just don’t have that banging attraction that brings them in yet. Even Orion is just like ehh. Yeah it’s fun but I’m not making a weekend out of it like I would for Fury in Charlotte or the CP 4 in Sandusky. They just keep missing the mark at KI.