Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The Old HHN 30 Speculation Thread (2020)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because the second something dumb happens (and potentially has a higher chance of being separately reported considering the event may be under a microscope for even running) all the blame will be put squarely on Universal (you can debate whether it’s rightfully so or not, but either way) by the media.
This is sad but true. Now a days when something happens good or bad it is posted everywhere online and maybe even gets covered on the news. The few ruin it all. It’s very unfortunate but it’s the times we live in.

There was no throwback post today on any of the platforms. Really thought we’d see Fear or something today to represent 20. Maybe they are preparing for a post on a Friday afternoon(tomorrow)? While the parks expect a bigger crowd this weekend for the 4th to promote it and get ticket sales?? I don’t know, just some wishful thinking.

Two things I've thought a lot about after reading through old pages:

Hearing about the Hill House house only taking place inside the manor is kinda disappointing. The show is so much more than the actual house, the true horror of it is the trauma that each family member suffered from for years. Someone else pointed this out, but if you've seen the sixth episode of The Haunting of Hill House, you know the direction that the house could have effectively gone in. It's the most impressive single-take work I've ever seen (and I thought 1917 was the film of 2019). The way it all seamlessly flows back-and-forth between the time periods while building up the dread is stunning. If they could have somehow captured that time and location flow in the house, it would've been really cool. I'm quite a fan of the show and think the first season is as close to a masterpiece as it gets. I think they could've gone for a more cerebral experience that captured the trauma than just trying to make it about the various ghosts in the house. But I also get why they probably didn't even consider replicating that aspect, since something like that would only capture super fans like me and wouldn't thrill the general public. I'm still super excited for it though. I'm interested to see how much they utilize the kids.

And also- sorry if I'm taking this off of the topic, but I think my perspective as a 21-year old Gen-Zer is valuable when it comes to this particular debate: Billie Eilish is extraordinarily popular and her following seems to be much more diverse than we've seen from similar phenomenons like Bieber and Swift. I don't know anyone in my age group that does not like her. Her stuff is very atypical of a regular star, some of her music videos that she's come up with are more horrific than a few of the houses I remember from last year. I believe that in a normal, covid-less year, her house would bring in more young people than Stranger Things. I think you guys should trust the creative team on this one! :bolt:

I don't know anyone in my age group that does not like her.
Funny, I'm also a Gen Zer and I don't know anyone who DOES like her. I'm not denying she isn't popular or liked, just saying that using your own friend group as the sample size, which many people have been doing on this forum concerning this topic for months now, is inherently flawed.

... if you've seen the sixth episode of The Haunting of Hill House, you know the direction that the house could have effectively gone in. It's the most impressive single-take work I've ever seen .

If you are a fan of single take, there is a fight scene in episode 1 or 2 of season 1 Netflix Daredevil series, maybe 3-5 minutes long, in a narrow hallway and the adjoining rooms off the hallway, that is one camera, one continuous take, with the cameraman moving in and around the actors throughout the scene.

Worth a look if you appreciate that kind of film stuff. I had never seen anything like it before. Should be easy to find the right episode and time stamp with a google, since it appears you have Netflix.

If you cant find it for free anywhere, you could always watch the Kill Count Version of it. Thats what I do if I dont want to spend the money on a horror movie. I can PM you a link if you need it.

Appreciate it buddy. I haven't looked for it yet, but if I run into difficulty I will definitely hit you up on that. I always try to watch the source material for IP houses if it isn't too daunting, so I definitely want to watch it for sure.

People should start making peace with the fact they might be able to go twice, hit 6-8 houses total (not a night, total), no shows, no alcohol, and no friend hang outs. Prepare now. Hopefully it doesn’t come to fruition but it could and would.
Wait, you're saying we go through all the effort and hit maybe 3-4 houses total in an entire 7-8 hour night? Ouch. That might actually make me rethink going tbh. I can handle all the restrictions and I'm fine with doing things a different way. But, at the end of the day, with there being at least some danger involved, it's gonna be tough to justify in my head if I'm only getting through 3 or 4 houses in an entire night. Like you said, hope that doesn't come to fruition. I guess we'll see over the next few weeks or so.

Last edited:
Funny, I'm also a Gen Zer and I don't know anyone who DOES like her. I'm not denying she isn't popular or liked, just saying that using your own friend group as the sample size, which many people have been doing on this forum concerning this topic for months now, is inherently flawed.
I don’t think whether she’s liked or not is what’s important, it’s more her popularity. Your friends may not like her, but they know her. That goes for the majority of Gen Z. Whereas you take an artist like Rob Zombie and he goes mostly unknown by Gen Z. I didn’t know who he was until I watched House of 1000 Corpses in preparation for last year. Their goal is to attract new, younger fans, and so long as something is popular in their generation, it will attract crowds. It worked on me in 2018 with Stranger Things. I didn’t really like the show, but I knew what it was, so it brought me to HHN. Same with Eilish, I’m not much a fan, but I am excited for her house because I know her.

I want to point out Rob Zombie has gotten mazes...and bet you 9/10 people going to the event don't even know who he is or listen to his movies or even see his films.
I mean they may have seen the Halloween reboot but most people don't know its him.

So just putting out there these events are kinda bringing big brands to be celebrated and things you may not know to get you into them...like last year with Creepshow which was a great maze even if I've never seen the film or source material

Also in my opinion this is a good first song to listen from her.

Last edited:
I seem to remember having a "hot take" about the app....

Only just now seeing that TPU rumor of how HHN will deal with crowds this year.... that's about the exact opposite of what I had heard so far.

Edit to add: read it - the TPU folks obviously don't have a good grasp on what Parks Technology is capable of pulling off.

Get ready to stand around refreshing the app over and over and over again to try to get VL reservations.

I don’t think whether she’s liked or not is what’s important, it’s more her popularity. Your friends may not like her, but they know her. That goes for the majority of Gen Z.
To be honest, most of my friends are not familiar with her. But that's really entirely besides the point of my post. Just sick and tired of everyone making these sweeping generalizations both for and against Billie coming.

Appreciate it buddy. I haven't looked for it yet, but if I run into difficulty I will definitely hit you up on that. I always try to watch the source material for IP houses if it isn't too daunting, so I definitely want to watch it for sure.

Wait, you're saying we go through all the effort and hit maybe 3-4 houses total in an entire 7-8 hour night? Ouch. That might actually make me rethink going tbh. I can handle all the restrictions and I'm fine with doing things a different way. But, at the end of the day, with there being at least some danger involved, it's gonna be tough to justify in my head if I'm only getting through 3 or 4 houses in an entire night. Like you said, hope that doesn't come to fruition. I guess we'll see over the next few weeks or so.

With stay and scream, we typically hit 3-4 in the first 90 minutes! (Usually 3, but one of them twice for a total of 4). 3-4 in one night would be a significant downgrade.

Yikes.

Speaking of which, I would also assume stay-and-scream itself will be nixed. Way too congregated.

I would think the opposite. It's better to have two smaller masses of people socially distancing already in the park, than to have them adding to the already gigantic mass of people at the gates (that they probably won't have room to properly socially distance as-is).

Edit: Alternate thought...They re-think HHN entry and try and do something more like Not So Scary where people trickle in after a certain time, then the event officially "starts" at 6:00. Not sure how they would kick everyone else out though. I feel like a lot of people end up "sneaking" into NSS as-is.

With stay and scream, we typically hit 3-4 in the first 90 minutes! (Usually 3, but one of them twice for a total of 4). 3-4 in one night would be a significant downgrade.

Yikes.
We hit 6 in the first 120 minutes without Stay and Scream - the one exception was Fri, Nov 1 last year which was the busiest night of the entire event. It took us 135 minutes to get through our 6th house (I remember seeing 8:15 on my phone as we walked out of Graveyard Games). It's ALL about time management and having the opposite plan of everyone else.

And, yes, 3-4 in one night (whereas we average roughly 12 houses with all shows and spending time in scarezones) is such a significant downgrade that it really begs the question of "is it worth it?". I promise not to b!tch about the extra precautions, wearing a mask, distancing, pulsed queues - I totally get the issue at hand. BUT, if I go through all that to only get through maybe 3 houses in 7-8 hours, the risk/inconvenience may outweigh the reward for me personally. And that makes me sad :(

So I was just thinking about this and it could be extremely dumb but I was wondering let’s say Texas chainsaw and bride of Frankenstein are in are same sound stage. Chainsaws are extremely loud is there any chance that you would be able to hear them from a different house and if so wouldn’t that mess up the believability from the other house?

They're actually just sound queues. They can't use real chainsaws inside any building (tent or otherwise) because of the exhaust fumes.
Omg I feel so stupid and can’t believe I never thought of this :lol:
As far as stay n scream goes since there’s more then likely no alcohol this year that makes finn and duff brewery pointless so why not just throw the stay n scream people in the house queues? You are waiting in the sun for about a hour any ways might as well put you in a bigger space

Last edited:
As far as stay n scream goes since there’s more then likely no alcohol this year that makes finn and duff brewery pointless so why not just throw the stay n scream people in the house queues? You are waiting in the sun for about a hour any ways might as well put you in a bigger space
As I understand it: It’s during stay-and-scream that the queues are being set up. It’s the transition time from regular park to HHN, such as setting up scare zones. Although I suppose they can rethink all that to make this work.

Stay & Scream is not going to be the insanity it was last year. They can just as easily open up the entire back portion of the park (MIB, FFL, possibly Diagon) for Stay and Scream if they wish to add capacity.

Status
Not open for further replies.