Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 2020 Old Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean in theory that sounds good, but an official announcement of a cancellation means we get to sit here for 8-14 months with nothing to talk about.
I mean that's on Universal then.

I know it would take some work but they could have a Halloween event in some fashion in CA, They have plenty of outside space.

If they want to do "mazes" they could make some mini mazes in the lower lot...and do something with the Tram like a Haunted "Hay" ride that if they wanted to could focus on the horror films they have made in between places where actors are.

They don't want to do something like that we have Halloween themed food event, or just Halloween themed nights where they play music and photo ops, they don't like that they can have you go on "haunted tours" in the parks where some leads you around telling ghost stories.
They have options, its up to them to survey and find what would work best and or make the most but they CAN have some sort of Halloween event outside this year.

I mean that's on Universal then.

I know it would take some work but they could have a Halloween event in some fashion in CA, They have plenty of outside space.

If they want to do "mazes" they could make some mini mazes in the lower lot...and do something with the Tram like a Haunted "Hay" ride that if they wanted to could focus on the horror films they have made in between places where actors are.

They don't want to do something like that we have Halloween themed food event, or just Halloween themed nights where they play music and photo ops, they don't like that they can have you go on "haunted tours" in the parks where some leads you around telling ghost stories.
They have options, its up to them to survey and find what would work best and or make the most but they CAN have some sort of Halloween event outside this year.
I feel like assuming we arent still in full lockdown, most parks will try to do something for halloween, the extent of that something is just yet to be seen.

I don’t think the lockdowns will end until at least early November or December. Just a hunch.
Maybe it is different because its not in LA but Knotts had even event....so if we are at the same kinda lockdowns now Universal should be allowed to have an outside event.
While it will have a lot of people if they use the front parking lot as the Q to get into the park/security. I don't see a reason why a limited ticketed event can't happen.

But I agree, I think CA will pretty much be shut down for the rest of the year and sure that if Black Friday happens that along with the Holidays will spike cases as well.

I just wish they'd formally announce a cancellation already. One source said it was supposed to happen last Friday, another source said yesterday, and neither came to fruition. Just get it over with.

It will be interesting to see alternative events. I have more faith in Knott's finding some sort of alternative; they really like to take risks with different things (Trapped, first shooting maze, VR mazes). I could see them coming up with some sort of online alternative, a guided tour of some sort, or maybe an "Alone" type maze. After all, they did surprise everyone with their Taste of Calico, which as far as I knew, no one really saw coming. I wouldn't be surprised to see them do something, even if it's on a smaller scale.

After all, the issue with the state (at this point) is that it must be outdoors and socially distanced. While that eliminates up close scareactors, it could bring in a storytelling element, ala Wicked Lit. I feel Knott's and other independent groups (CreepLA, ZJU, Sinister Point, etc.) may find alternatives.

HHN typically doesn't take a lot of risks, so I don't really see them doing much else, but maybe I'll be surprised. Personally, if we can't have a haunt, I wouldn't mind some sort of horror movie memorabilia display.

I just wish they'd formally announce a cancellation already. One source said it was supposed to happen last Friday, another source said yesterday, and neither came to fruition. Just get it over with.

It will be interesting to see alternative events. I have more faith in Knott's finding some sort of alternative; they really like to take risks with different things (Trapped, first shooting maze, VR mazes). I could see them coming up with some sort of online alternative, a guided tour of some sort, or maybe an "Alone" type maze. After all, they did surprise everyone with their Taste of Calico, which as far as I knew, no one really saw coming. I wouldn't be surprised to see them do something, even if it's on a smaller scale.

After all, the issue with the state (at this point) is that it must be outdoors and socially distanced. While that eliminates up close scareactors, it could bring in a storytelling element, ala Wicked Lit. I feel Knott's and other independent groups (CreepLA, ZJU, Sinister Point, etc.) may find alternatives.

HHN typically doesn't take a lot of risks, so I don't really see them doing much else, but maybe I'll be surprised. Personally, if we can't have a haunt, I wouldn't mind some sort of horror movie memorabilia display.
I still thinks there’s a chance we do get HHN but really limited

Universal Parks and Resorts has announced that 2020's Halloween Horror Nights event has been canceled at both Universal Orlando and Universal Studios Hollywood

I'm shocked they announced Orlando's cancellation right now, too. I figured they would try their best to hold that off as long as humanly possible, for it to only be inevitably cancelled anyway. But at least we won't be the only ones suffering and now they know early, too.
I'm glad I came to terms with this months ago lol
But I have officially updated my signature to reflect the current state of things lol

Bringing over from the other HHN thread:

Since the deed is done... Hollywood's decision came last week. Orlando's ax was literally in the past 48-72 hours. From the get-go, it was always explained that Orlando was going to try to make it happen until they couldn't while Hollywood was more likely to get cut. Ultimately, an IP's loss didn't help matters (y'all can spec on that, I'm not going to confirm which) and growing pressure due to the recent spikes in cases made them decide to cancel. While I'm completely bummed, it was the right call. Run the event and no one comes? Why did you risk it... Run the event and everyone comes? Why did you risk it...

There was no easy answer here because even the event's cancellation I'd expect another round of layoffs.

FWIW - I will leave this thread open for a bit, probably a week or 2 - but after that, it's shut down mode.

While I'm happy we finally heard from them...no way in hell it would not have sold out.

The Knotts Event sold out and had to make new dates, a real event with rides/mazes would have had every night sold out...hell I bet they could have in October with the limited amount of people let in had it on every week night and still sold out.

But I get it cases are rising and its a good move...now on to my legally required statement about how I hope they have Halloween themed at the parks because I've talked to friends and they would very much like to go to something like that as well

Hopefully this could lead to an insane 2021, but I think that may be more likely for Orlando. Hollywood tends to always get the budgetary short end of the stick, and I don’t think that would change after such major cost cutting measures like these layoffs. On the bright side, if properly funded, we could see some really hot IPs come to the event since they could be shared with Orlando on an anniversary year. Sadly, 2021 horror releases look like a greatest hits of past Hollywood mazes. Halloween, Saw, Stranger Things, and the Purge all have installments coming out within the next year

Welp, I braced for the worst in Hollywood, and here it is. I was planning to go to Orlando, but I guess that ain't happening this Fall. :(

On the bright side, I think this will be very helpful for Hollywood next year in that they should have more time and resources to save up for next year. It doesn't sound like this year was going to be that great from the get-go, so hopefully they will go all-out next year.

Welp, I braced for the worst in Hollywood, and here it is. I was planning to go to Orlando, but I guess that ain't happening this Fall. :(

On the bright side, I think this will be very helpful for Hollywood next year in that they should have more time and resources to save up for next year. It doesn't sound like this year was going to be that great from the get-go, so hopefully they will go all-out next year.
I think this is the right attitude. Personally, I would prefer they cancel the event rather than attempt a truncated version that would probably end up costing them more money in the long run. It's a really tough pill to swallow, but it's the right call.

Status
Not open for further replies.