#HHNForever - Orlando 2020 | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

#HHNForever - Orlando 2020

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Uni's behavior definitely indicates a certain level desperation. They're doing a 4 month pass for the price of 1 day is a huge indicator, but that doesn't excuse the mentality. They're a part of Comcast a company that publicly reported that as of 6/30/20 had $13.93 billion in cash on hand. Cash flow was positive for the quarter, and that's with the theme parks shifting to a loss of over 90% of revenue. These actions aren't by a small business trying to survive, but a major conglomerate trying to smooth out quarterly reports.
I definitely hear you. However, small businesses can't give us many of the experiences that Universal can provide. This move maybe shows their relationship to Comcast and maybe a tighter leash that Comcast has on them, more than anything else. If this is what they feel they have to do, I trust them.

Anyway, I would think they'd want to feature Billie next year? If not, that's going to make a lot of people on a certain FB group very very happy...
They didn't complete her house before the cancellation, so it's kaput. I've also heard she is not returning next year, but anything can happen.

I haven't been following this thread, but seeing chatter on Twitter, so thought I'd jump in.

If they do a smaller, amended "add-on" event on select evenings, I'd call it "Fright Nights," but that's me.

One way to keep it separated from the real HHN, but also pay tribute to its origins.

I definitely hear you. However, small businesses can't give us many of the experiences that Universal can provide. This move maybe shows their relationship to Comcast and maybe a tighter leash that Comcast has on them, more than anything else. If this is what they feel they have to do, I trust them.

After everything we’ve seen recently I wish I still had your faith + optimism.

I was out of state when they had a Cabin in the Woods house in Orlando and I couldn't make it. Was I pissed? Yes. Did I get over it and keep returning year after year?

To be fair, when they had the Cabin in the Woods house, you weren’t told months in advance that everything had been cancelled, and then changed your plans, just to have them potentially say “Nevermind. People should come to the parks for some spooky goodness.”

If anything, I hope the marketing messaging confirms one way or another whether this will just be a preview, or if this will be our on,y chance to see these houses.

I’ve been hearing the rumors, to the point I believe it’s at least getting discussed, but have not independently confirmed anything yet.

That said, I think it’s going to be daytime ops for two big reasons. First, nighttime ops requires additional staff to run the actual park, PLUS house performers and management. With all of the cuts Universal has made, hiring theme park ops and house staff in three weeks is a massive hiring initiative that I don’t think they want to attempt it because all those people are now just on the books with likely nothing to do in November. Daytime house, however, means you only have to contact entertainment roles (that weren’t “laid off” in the first place), who know it’s a seasonal gig.

Second, they’ve already announced HHN is canceled. Any sort of nighttime event with haunted houses, regardless of how it’s marketed, is going to be perceived as HHN by the layman. Either way, it creates a bad look—either Universal is indecisive or manipulative. Daytime ops, however, doesn’t carry that same risk. It is, even on its face, something very different in a very different time. If the houses run Wednesday through Sunday, Universal is successfully pulling more people into the park on weekdays. That’s what this needs to be focused on.

I’ve been hearing the rumors, to the point I believe it’s at least getting discussed, but have not independently confirmed anything yet.

That said, I think it’s going to be daytime ops for two big reasons. First, nighttime ops requires additional staff to run the actual park, PLUS house performers and management. With all of the cuts Universal has made, hiring theme park ops and house staff in three weeks is a massive hiring initiative that I don’t think they want to attempt it because all those people are now just on the books with likely nothing to do in November. Daytime house, however, means you only have to contact entertainment roles (that weren’t “laid off” in the first place), who know it’s a seasonal gig.

Second, they’ve already announced HHN is canceled. Any sort of nighttime event with haunted houses, regardless of how it’s marketed, is going to be perceived as HHN by the layman. Either way, it creates a bad look—either Universal is indecisive or manipulative. Daytime ops, however, doesn’t carry that same risk. It is, even on its face, something very different in a very different time. If the houses run Wednesday through Sunday, Universal is successfully pulling more people into the park on weekdays. That’s what this needs to be focused on.
Could they sell add-on tickets to the houses DURING the day time though. Still charge for access to this special offering, give you a barcode to scan at the houses, but require a daytime ticket to the parks to even be in the parks to be able to use another pass to visit the houses?

The old double dip, if you will.

Could they sell add-on tickets to the houses DURING the day time though. Still charge for access to this special offering, give you a barcode to scan at the houses, but require a daytime ticket to the parks to even be in the parks to be able to use another pass to visit the houses?

The old double dip, if you will.
Yep. A lot more income for a lot less infrastructure.

I haven't been following this thread, but seeing chatter on Twitter, so thought I'd jump in.

If they do a smaller, amended "add-on" event on select evenings, I'd call it "Fright Nights," but that's me.

One way to keep it separated from the real HHN, but also pay tribute to its origins.

If something does actually happen, I think this is a good idea. Or call it 29.5 or maybe HHN 30 Preview or Sneak Peek. Something like that would work. But I agree with others in that next year needs to be HHN 30 no matter what happens this year.

Consumerism is Universal!

Well, they are owned by what's considered by many, to be the greediest cable company out there. And that's saying a lot.

However, they and a limited amount of others, are the only ones that can allow us to walk through and ride our favorite movies. As long as we keep feeding the beast, they're going to keep giving us a product we love, but one can't work without the other. Now I don't know about everybody else, but I'm not going to stop selling my soul to the corporate devil anytime soon.