Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's unreal how big of a blow the arts, in general, are going to take from this. I'm incredibly curious to see what shows look like after all of this in terms of remaining cast members, crowds, what shows remain, etc. I, unfortunately, think we'll probably see some permanent closures after this announcement in the next few weeks.
I know a friend who was getting ready to make his Broadway debut but it got closed right before due to COVID. Other hurtful things with this additional closure:

1. The Music Man (AKA the show that killed Beetlejuice on Broadway. :chainsaw:) is now pushed back to December 2021.
2. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, which not a great script but is a great theatrical experience, is now pushed back indefinitely.

This could be the end of the industry. I'd love to see an Amazon or Netflix or heck even the producers themselves sell digital movies of their shows to help fill the gap in the meantime.

This could be the end of the industry. I'd love to see an Amazon or Netflix or heck even the producers themselves sell digital movies of their shows to help fill the gap in the meantime.
They can’t sell movies they don’t have...

The multi-camera recordings of Broadways are pretty infrequent and, often times, paid for by outside production companies because of how intrusive they are.

The multi-camera recordings of Broadways are pretty infrequent and, often times, paid for by outside production companies because of how intrusive they are.
Of course, but what about the recordings at the New York Public Library archives? (located here online with the list of recordings available in their archive here)

For special access granted and/academic researchers they have DVDs of many things that have been on Broadway, surprisingly the 2020 Little Shop of Horrors and Oklahoma! are already listed on the online archive. Obviously they're not for typical normal usage, but if it's something that can be monetized to help the industry, I wonder why they're not using them. They don't allow currently running shows, but nothing is running. I feel like there should be someway to get it out there, but I'm not sure.

It won't be a Hamilton on D+, but it's better than nothing.

My understanding is that nearly every show IS preserved, and of you're the right person, you cajy arrange to view the recording. Whether they're of sales worthy quality I do not know

My understanding is that nearly every show IS preserved, and of you're the right person, you cajy arrange to view the recording. Whether they're of sales worthy quality I do not know
I think that’s the issue. A single shot recording from the back of the house (which is typically how the preservation is filmed) is going to really interest a small audience of the hardest core theater fans. Most people aren’t going to be interested in buying taped shows that aren’t multi-cam with polished editing. And even those are pretty niche.

Broadway HD (available through Amazon Prime) has a few dozen shows available already.

EDIT - I just did a little more research on it. The preservation films are a part of the contracts with the various guilds for, explicitly, non-commercial use. They’re strictly for research or professional reference. Selling them would require new contracts with the guilds and shows themselves.

Last edited:
I think that’s the issue. A single shot recording from the back of the house (which is typically how the preservation is filmed) is going to really interest a small audience of the hardest core theater fans. Most people aren’t going to be interested in buying taped shows that aren’t multi-cam with polished editing. And even those are pretty niche.

Broadway HD (available through Amazon Prime) has a few dozen shows available already.

EDIT - I just did a little more research on it. The preservation films are a part of the contracts with the various guilds for, explicitly, non-commercial use. They’re strictly for research or professional reference. Selling them would require new contracts with the guilds and shows themselves.
We're talking about shows that people ate happy watching shakycam bootlegs on their phones - the presentation really isn't the issue. It would be free money for the guilds and the shows. It's their right not to be willing to make arrangements, but they're foolish not to

We're talking about shows that people ate happy watching shakycam bootlegs on their phones - the presentation really isn't the issue. It would be free money for the guilds and the shows. It's their right not to be willing to make arrangements, but they're foolish not to
Are people paying for those, though?

If the production teams and guilds are willing to rework the contracts, that would be fantastic. There are issues though, because the performers in the show would now be entitled to their likenesses being used in a different commercial format than normal.

I’d love for it to happen. It’s not easy, though.

So are more USH layoffs coming soon to?

USH just notified about 100 staff employees this week across all departments in a second round of non-union professional and middle management layoffs. Many of whom were already furloughed since August including some very high performing managers and directors who have been with the park for a long time.

Posted it on the Disneyland Resort thread but to share it here--Disney will be completely cutting two live shows from it's program for DLR--one of them being Mickey and the Magical Map at Fantasyland Theater, and Frozen Live at the Hyperion. This will be complete closures--not partial shutdowns.

Posted it on the Disneyland Resort thread but to share it here--Disney will be completely cutting two live shows from it's program for DLR--one of them being Mickey and the Magical Map at Fantasyland Theater, and Frozen Live at the Hyperion. This will be complete closures--not partial shutdowns.
Not surprising, but such a big loss (for DCA especially) if they are indeed closed for good.

Dam....the Frozen one is big. While I'm not a big fan of it like Aladdin, that show is basically a shorter Broadway which almost makes going to DCA worth its 100 bucks.

Mickey show, i thought could come back because its outside but I guess not for a while after they open if ever again they might just make a new show by the time they can bring it back

I’m quite disappointed. Way less about COVID but the lack of creative thinking and solutions.

Through hardship comes innovation. This is the opportunity for film studios to innovate, theatres to innovate, Broadway to innovate.

where are the ingenues creating the evolution of these institutions?

It's unreal how big of a blow the arts, in general, are going to take from this. I'm incredibly curious to see what shows look like after all of this in terms of remaining cast members, crowds, what shows remain, etc. I, unfortunately, think we'll probably see some permanent closures after this announcement in the next few weeks.
Broadway is backed by some big corporations, it's rough right now but they'll be back. I can't say the same things for local arts. Most local theaters are supported by state and local grants. After the incredible costs of unemployment, states will not have money to fund the arts for at least a decade. That is where the biggest loses will happen.

Broadway is backed by some big corporations, it's rough right now but they'll be back. I can't say the same things for local arts. Most local theaters are supported by state and local grants. After the incredible costs of unemployment, states will not have money to fund the arts for at least a decade. That is where the biggest loses will happen.
I think that will also depend per City/Area

Thousand Oaks in CA, arts are sponsored by Bank of America, so in theory that local theater will be up and running again once this is all over. I get emails about them doing Virtual shows every month so seems like someone is still putting money into the arts. Not saying everyone is like this but some area's of CA and NY I think will bounce back way before ten years.

USH just notified about 100 staff employees this week across all departments in a second round of non-union professional and middle management layoffs. Many of whom were already furloughed since August including some very high performing managers and directors who have been with the park for a long time.
Thanks mods. Feel free to delete.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.