Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry | Page 248 | Inside Universal Forums

Effects of Coronavirus (COVID-19) On Entertainment & Tourism Industry

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So it should probably be pointed out that unlike Regal, AMC and Cinemark currently plan on staying open:

Alita: Battle Angel has announced a re-release as well. Say what you want about Alita, but the fanbase is RABID and extremely hungry for a sequel. This is a good movie to pick to put back in to at least try and fill a gap between openings if they truly are planning on staying open.

Alita is the only movie I've ever seen in 4DX and it kicked ass. Definitely a fun movie.

What kinds of jobs at the parks are left to cut?!?!?
I would think middle management that survived the last round of cuts would be in trouble.
From what I've heard and am 100% sure on, quite a few supervisors were let go unfortunately and I've also heard recently that a lot of relief leads are no longer getting lead shifts at all.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Journey_On
From what I've heard and am 100% sure on, quite a few supervisors were let go unfortunately and I've also heard recently that a lot of relief leads are no longer getting lead shifts at all.

I wish I knew what all these terms meant... supervisors of what exactly.... and what is a “relief lead”?

I wish I knew what all these terms meant... supervisors of what exactly.... and what is a “relief lead”?
Supervisors of the individual departments (for example, there are normally 5-6 supervisors per department, sometimes more (or less) depending on the size of the department). And UO has "Team Leads" who are in charge of making sure operations in a given area are running smootly. Relief leads are exactly what they sound like - relief for if a lead calls out on a certain day, but beyond that, they normally would be getting scheduled as leads as well, which it sounds like they aren't now.

Reactions: Teebin and Tbad556
Middle Management i'm thinking about wouldn't be hourly. It would be more like UO's Team Captains, who are a middle man between Team Leads and Supervisors.
Was it a case of they needed those positions to do the larger layoffs? I don't know how much hands on a manager would have in this situation.
In any case I was thinking they needed these people to do the layoffs and now their positions are gone?

Reactions: Teebin
Was it a case of they needed those positions to do the larger layoffs? I don't know how much hands on a manager would have in this situation.
In any case I was thinking they needed these people to do the layoffs and now their positions are gone?
There are no positions that are completely wiped out or anything. Each venue has more than one supervisor, so losing one doesn't mean they're without supervisors now or anything. From what I know, at least quite a few venues each lost one.

Last edited:
The positions aren't gone in the supervisors case. There's probably some people who have been working there for so long that they are becoming expensive and can be replaced by people hungry to advance, but also, most areas don't need as many supervisors as they have, simple as that (I know where I worked we had around 5-6, maybe more).

Reactions: Teebin and JoeCamel
Yeah so if I were an executive for D+ trying to test the waters of paid VODs, I would think to would choose Soul and do a $20 release because of its a new movie. (Bonus points if they released Soul in September, and around Thanksgiving time they make it free to watch for D+ subscribers) And If that was a success then push for Black Widow in December. So Black Widow comes around the holidays, and to keep the boring month of January you have WandaVision for a month because of a weekly release. 2-3 months later and Falcon & The Winter Soldier releases. Around the time of February, you get Mulan on there for free like Hamilton. Disney should hire me because that was a pretty good schedule IMO.
okay I got the right idea but the wrong movie

okay I got the right idea but the wrong movie
I’m betting they won’t be the only ones. People are going to be cooped up and bored Thanksgiving and Christmas this year (I know more than a few families not traveling), so I anticipate these doing fairly well.

I’m betting they won’t be the only ones. People are going to be cooped up and bored Thanksgiving and Christmas this year (I know more than a few families not traveling), so I anticipate these doing fairly well.
Croods will be on PVOD definitely. Who knows if it'll go to AMC for the 17-day window or not, but it'll definitely be going on-demand for the family crowd.

Broadway may be the entertainment industry that suffers the most from this. Forget theme parks or television/film... this is the major loss.

It's unreal how big of a blow the arts, in general, are going to take from this. I'm incredibly curious to see what shows look like after all of this in terms of remaining cast members, crowds, what shows remain, etc. I, unfortunately, think we'll probably see some permanent closures after this announcement in the next few weeks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.