What's new
Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 2021 (USH) - News & Info

Someone else can correct me, but I believe this was being considered before Covid.

I recall reading of a house around the Toxxic Tunnel scare zone, which was canned because of well, yanno'. Perhaps that was gonna' be done a la' Dead Exposure, or it morphed into D.E., either way it's just not happening for a while.

...which is ironic, since a house like Dead Exposure would be one of the few things that could fit with Murdy's lazy designs.

Is John Murdy still going to be Creative Director for HHN and how much longer? I heard someone say he’s gonna be leaving soon but idk how true that is

Btw, I am not in favor of a H3 maze. The movie is terrible. No MM = no fun.

Is John Murdy still going to be Creative Director for HHN and how much longer? I heard someone say he’s gonna be leaving soon but idk how true that is

Btw, I am not in favor of a H3 maze. The movie is terrible. No MM = no fun.
He was “furloughed” with the park closures, and there had been chatter about his potential replacement before then. I wouldn’t expect him to serve in the role too much longer.

He was “furloughed” with the park closures, and there had been chatter about his potential replacement before then. I wouldn’t expect him to serve in the role too much longer.
Who’s decision is it to decide his replacement? Is it someone who’s worked with him but actually lives in Cali? I think it’s time for a new creative director to take on this upcoming decade

Who’s decision is it to decide his replacement? Is it someone who’s worked with him but actually lives in Cali? I think it’s time for a new creative director to take on this upcoming decade
Are you asking who decides or who is replacing him? A decision hasn’t been made. That won’t be made until they have to make it.

Let's all remember this still a very real individual whose job we are speculating about. I get that there's a lot of uncertainty over the future leadership of the event, but let's try and stay civil and respectful in this discussion.
Absolutely. Just an interesting topic to bring up that’s all

It's also worth remembering that Murdy is rumored to be retiring basically every single year, so unless it actually becomes official there really isn't much worth speculating about. Plus what Clive already said about being respectful.

After some discussion and a review of the state of play, I'm going to put my chips down definitively: No Halloween Horror Nights at Universal Studios Hollywood this year.

Best to make peace with this now.
Do you think USH will open at any point and time this year?

Complete speculation here... I have the feeling HHN will be rebooted entirely at USH.

Honestly, I'd be fine with that. It's really hard to shake the feeling that the event has been going through the motions the past several years, what was once a great revival that was pushing ahead of the competition is now a good step or two behind the other events which have been stepping up their game.

It needs a shake-up and some new blood in the mix.

Complete speculation here... I have the feeling HHN will be rebooted entirely at USH.
With a two-year break, including a single-coast event, I wouldn’t be surprised if the whole thing gets a complete rework at the corporate level: Better unification of marketing; More uniform design/contracting philosophies. The event could be better on both coast. Orlando could benefit from the innovation of the west coast. Hollywood could benefit from the quality of Orlando’s design.

Just... just work together, guys.

Last edited: