Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Tomorrowland re-do?

Ok so I had no idea about these spires you guys were talking about and it takes a lot for a piece of Disney World history to stump me. Had to search google. Oh. My. God. Those were SO COOL! And with the water fall effect?! Amazing. I’d absolutely be down for those returning especially since we have such a minimalist entrance sign now.

Supports being painted:
img_6703.jpg

It's weird to see some things removed yet others stay. It's a weird mish-mash of 70s and 90s style that... I'm not sure it works? I know not to judge it till it's done but the project has been so start-and-stop with some 90s aspects removed and others painted white I'm not sure what's going on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can’t say I’m a fan of this update/retheme. I especially dislike the Tomorrowland sign...just too minimalist for my liking. I know the old theme was a bit gaudy but this is too simple for me, there has to be happy medium there somewhere.

Seems like someone finally remembered that they needed to finish this :lol:

I'm curious what the whole area will ultimately look like, since from what I saw a couple months ago, I'll admit it's looking a tad plain and sterile for my tastes. A saving grace being it's still nice and colorful at night.

Also...

It's weird to see some things removed yet others stay. It's a weird mish-mash of 70s and 90s style that... I'm not sure it works? I know not to judge it till it's done but the project has been so start-and-stop with some 90s aspects removed and others painted white I'm not sure what's going on.

Pretty much what Joe said. You've got this weird mix of styles since some elements were painted over instead of removed. One of the best examples are the big fins on the left side of the entryway over AE/SGE, instead of being removed they were painted white and there's a odd asymmetry due to it.

Yeah the columns on the peoplemover are quite dominant all around the land...and they look very 60s/70s in their shape and design

The actual fix would be to essentially start over..but I know that's not even close to in the cards

This is about the sixth different opening date the ride has had since the park reopened and only recently were people actually spotted on it. It clearly hasn’t been of high priority.
I'm not sure they can get it to what they want using the tech it was built with. I think they may hit a wall and call it good enough (lawyers bedammed) or they have to build and install a new control system with lots of sensors and feedback. In any case it may be living on borrowed time after all this.

I'm not sure they can get it to what they want using the tech it was built with. I think they may hit a wall and call it good enough (lawyers bedammed) or they have to build and install a new control system with lots of sensors and feedback. In any case it may be living on borrowed time after all this.
I think they’re trying like hell to at least get it back open by the 50th, and if problems with come after that, then they’ll axe it. Last thing they want to do during the 50th ceremony is have to announce the people mover is “going seasonal”.

From the sound of things over on Magic, Martin doesn't think this is in danger of being abandoned or axed once they actually get it open again.
I don't think the reason it is closed is money as others have posted but I do think they have tech issues that are no longer acceptable to the lawyers. Maybe they can solve them maybe it is too high of a cost to solve, in any case if they could open it they would at half capacity if necessary.
Right now I think Martin is hearing what the company believes at this point. Things can change though if the problem is insurmountable or just too expensive to repair to today's standards of safety.