Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Brightline Station Coming to Orlando

Brightline is now giving subtle indications that the Brightline West project between LA and Vegas is their next priority with aspirations of breaking ground in 2021.

This is unsurprising given that MCO-Disney-Tampa has no right-of-way secured and environmental reviews not yet begun.

I'd say there's approximately zero chance that a Disney station opens in 2023.
FWIW, MCO-Disney and MCO-Disney-Tampa are two separate goals for Brightline. The Disney leg was set to open a ways before the Tampa leg in almost ever timeline.

Brightline is now giving subtle indications that the Brightline West project between LA and Vegas is their next priority with aspirations of breaking ground in 2021.

This is unsurprising given that MCO-Disney-Tampa has no right-of-way secured and environmental reviews not yet begun.

I'd say there's approximately zero chance that a Disney station opens in 2023.
I would question the dates given for Tampa, but Disney is a key source of ridership for them.
Their focus on the West Coast makes sense. That route actually is true high-speed rail as it goes over 200 mph (High-speed rail is over 180 mph). With the newly advertised extension to LA Union Station, it also is an extremely viable route.

Last edited:
This is old news now, but the SunRail board did approve a study to look at using the Brightline extension tracks to get SunRail to the airport. However, it sounds like immediate plans for SunRail to Disney have been scaled back:
SunRail, Brightline consider getting on board for Orlando airport link

In new news about the Orlando to Miami line, Brightline has now scheduled their tunnel push under the 528 in Cocoa (at US 1) for mid to late March. This is going to be a pretty unique process that involves, in part, sliding the tunnel sections with an active roadway running just above them. There is full overnight closure of 528 scheduled for March 14-15, after which the 528 will be reduced to one lane in each direction while they jack the tunnel sections into place. Then there is another overnight full closure scheduled for March 29-30, which should be for fully reopening the road. (This is all from their latest construction advisory.)

Apparently the decision of following the 417 or the 528 from the Airport (an eventually beyond to Tampa) has to be made by July 31st. The claim is it will cost almost twice as much to run along the Beachline to the Convention Center/I-Drive/EU area versus following the 417 from MCO directly to Disney.

He gives gives off a pixie duster kinda vibe at times, but this is a good overview of Brightline/All Aboard Florida as a whole and he goes over the planned route to DS and the route that OCCC/Universal/I-Drive all want.

He gives gives off a pixie duster kinda vibe at times, but this is a good overview of Brightline/All Aboard Florida as a whole and he goes over the planned route to DS and the route that OCCC/Universal/I-Drive all want.

This was really interesting and shows just some of the challenges with changing our infrastructure. Of course, this does not address how many more buses are going to be needed to transport guests from Disney Springs to their resorts. Mass transit options such as light rail or Brightline should be better alternatives but we need to come up with ways to reduce some of the associated costs. Another question for me is how much space will be available on each train and what will the schedule be like? I can see the trains being overwhelmed quickly and that is where Mears will come out smelling like roses because of the bus transportation that they will still be offering.

This was really interesting and shows just some of the challenges with changing our infrastructure. Of course, this does not address how many more buses are going to be needed to transport guests from Disney Springs to their resorts. Mass transit options such as light rail or Brightline should be better alternatives but we need to come up with ways to reduce some of the associated costs. Another question for me is how much space will be available on each train and what will the schedule be like? I can see the trains being overwhelmed quickly and that is where Mears will come out smelling like roses because of the bus transportation that they will still be offering.
I was thinking we may see Disney add additional Skyliner routes or some other systems on property. A Skyliner or two branching out from Springs would really help eliminate some of the buses which are a HUGE expense to the company.

I was thinking we may see Disney add additional Skyliner routes or some other systems on property. A Skyliner or two branching out from Springs would really help eliminate some of the buses which are a HUGE expense to the company.
I've said it before and I'll say it again: Skyliner expansion is highly unlikely. There is a singular additional route it has been considered for, and it would mandate a decent amount of downtime for the existing system to facilitate the change.

Eventually (perhaps in the next ~10-15 years) Disney has a transportation masterplan featuring a major system that would run directly through the entire resort and connect to other transit networks. Skyliner is not that method due to the gondola system's lack of versatility and speed.
The reason why Skyline was able to sub in the Epcot DHS area is because the routes were small enough to make travel time negligibly different or significantly faster than bus transit. The same would not be true of longer legs going to Say Disney Springs or AK Lodge.

fails to mention parking costs with a rental car. For small families ride share seems the best option. Of course dealing with smaller children and car seats factors in also. I guess we will have to wait till teleportation is invented to really get easy transportation.

Now Hunter's Creek is saying they'll fight to keep the Brightline route from running through their area. This could end up changing the route to the northern route along 528/Convention Center/EU to avoid legal delays and costs.

Last edited: