Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Universal's "Getting Closer to Normal" Guidelines

Apr 21, 2013
Not sure where I should post this now since the theme park Covid thread is dead. What is current park capacity? Is it still capped at 35%?

I think Universal's cap has been higher than 35%. Only Disney gave a percentage, and even that should be taken with a grain of salt. Universal and SeaWorld seem to have been going to at least 50% from most indications.

I think Universal's cap has been higher than 35%. Only Disney gave a percentage, and even that should be taken with a grain of salt. Universal and SeaWorld seem to have been going to at least 50% from most indications.
We went to SeaWorld on a Saturday a couple weeks ago and they were definitely at more than 50% capacity!! The place was packed before the afternoon thunderstorms rolled through...

Using a percentage of “capacity” is a fuzzy number to begin with. Are they going with the total legal capacity according to fire codes?
Or is it a number based off what they use based off the number of restaurants, stores, and rides are open? If so, then as they open more things up, then it has additional space while only being at their stated number.
I believe they’ve been silently doing it that way, but that’s only my speculation

Using a percentage of “capacity” is a fuzzy number to begin with. Are they going with the total legal capacity according to fire codes?
Or is it a number based off what they use based off the number of restaurants, stores, and rides are open? If so, then as they open more things up, then it has additional space while only being at their stated number.
I believe they’ve been silently doing it that way, but that’s only my speculation
Could very well be. Just interesting as I went to Hollywood Studios yesterday (which was completely booked for all passes) and it was night and day compared to how crowded Universal was on Friday.

Well it looks like Universal (as well as Disney) are discontinuing temp checks and moving to 3ft markers, so I’m guessing we may see an increase in capacity soon enough if there isn’t already.

Well it looks like Universal (as well as Disney) are discontinuing temp checks and moving to 3ft markers, so I’m guessing we may see an increase in capacity soon enough if there isn’t already.
Makes sense. With Universal reopening Sapphire and Surfside, that's a hell of a lot of extra tourists daily. ( Figure average of 3 per room)

At this rate the 3ft social distancing measures will be gone before august

We're gonna adjust the thread to discuss the general changes to the guidelines.

When Kentucky Kingdom reopened last summer, their limited capacity number was based on a 36 sq ft per person for all open areas and probably queue space. The number was also within 1000 people of their biggest attendance day ever. I'd guess that Uni and Disneys numbers are on a similar scale. Percentage of legal capacity, not what their practical capacity is.

I will miss saying "OUCH!" when I get my temperature taken

The 3ft distancing should alleviate some stress on the midways yes?

Around some of the rides when they are "at capacity" there's a huge crowd that forms outside the entrance

This past weekend people were not following the 6 ft rules at all, even people being lackadaisical with their mask wearing indoors which was annoying, but me and my wife are vaccinated and still observed the 6 ft rule to the annoyance of people, glared them down if they got too close in lines indoors.

At the end of the day there are still no vaccines for children under 16 and that's my biggest concern. Until there is, masks should not go away anytime soon, especially during horror nights where people get stupid drunk.

This past weekend people were not following the 6 ft rules at all, even people being lackadaisical with their mask wearing indoors which was annoying, but me and my wife are vaccinated and still observed the 6 ft rule to the annoyance of people, glared them down if they got too close in lines indoors.

At the end of the day there are still no vaccines for children under 16 and that's my biggest concern. Until there is, masks should not go away anytime soon, especially during horror nights where people get stupid drunk.
I don’t understand how they will be able to even serve alcohol at HHN if masks are required. There won’t be many places for people to relax and drink with their masks down that won’t be crowding an already packed event (even if it is reduced capacity). Curious to see how it all goes.

I mentioned in the HHN thread that I've been told that single rider lines will reopen again at several attractions and separate parties will begin riding together again tomorrow. I was looking through Uni's updated guidelines on their site and see no mention of separating groups/removing single riders. Was this ever listed? Assuming no, but wanted to check as I expect this to be more of a silent change rather than an announced one from the way I was told this (and the fact that it's not in today's announcement :lol:).

Agreed. Being at IOA for VelociCoaster, while the park overall wasn't extremely busy, Hogsmeade was almost shoulder-to-shoulder people. And when they had everyone line up for the VC queue during TM previews, we were literally all hearded together in terms of being practically on top of on another outside of the entrance to the ride, almost as if you were in a mosh pit at a concert.