Halloween Horror Nights 30 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors (2021) | Page 165 | Inside Universal Forums

Halloween Horror Nights 30 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors (2021)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With having an actual larger scale competitor just down the road, do we think perhaps this could scare them away from raising ticket prices substantially as rumored. I'm just thinking like another theme park with haunted houses for only $30 a ticket could take a decent chunk of the local general public away. Or would that just be a drop in the bucket to them? I guess we'll find out .....
soooooon >:)

I think corporations move too slowly--and I think Universal is (rightly) confident enough in their HHN brand--that prices go ahead as planned. That said, if HoSO is a hit, you might start seeing last-minute specials involving Friday and even Saturday nights come late September. BOGOs or something popping up on social media.

I will say Sept. 10 just became the best night to visit HHN this year.

Universal won’t adjust anything to HHN this year. The only thing you may see is much smaller price increases in the future.

HoSO still has a long way to go to actually start pulling from HHN in a quantitative way that Universal would notice. The HoSO price this year doesn’t make it a direct financial competitor; it’s a supplemental event for people who can afford HHN or a replacement for people who can’t afford HHN. HHN will remain the market driver.

Universal won’t adjust anything to HHN this year. The only thing you may see is much smaller price increases in the future.

HoSO still has a long way to go to actually start pulling from HHN in a quantitative way that Universal would notice. The HoSO price this year doesn’t make it a direct financial competitor; it’s a supplemental event for people who can afford HHN or a replacement for people who can’t afford HHN. HHN will remain the market driver.

Exactly, I don’t think Bill Davis is shaking in his boots here but competition is good for customers, even if it’s pushing slightly harder for pride.

As an out of towner who flies down one weekend, does HHN, then has a couple days where we do Food & Wine at Epcot and then do something else (Top Golf, Andretti, whatever), then a couple more days at HHN the "following weekend" there's a huge missed opportunity. If there was another haunt available on Mon and/Tue we would definitely do it. And if it was only $30, we'd instantly splurge on express passes since it's so cheap compared to HHN.

Just feel like the B-Team events have a ready audience if they'd cater to them instead of mirroring HHN. Because if it's a choice between HHN and anything else, it's no choice at all.

(edited to make sense after crappy original post)

Last edited:
I'm really rooting for SW's HOS to work, it would be a welcomed yearly addition to my HHN haunt weekend

Also, just having another haunt in town is always a good thing

A successful SWOHoS is good for the market, period.

As an out of towner who flies down one weekend, does HHN, then has a couple days where we do Food & Wine at Epcot and then do something else (Top Golf, Andretti, whatever), then a couple more days at HHN the "following weekend" there's a huge missed opportunity. If there was another haunt available on Mon and/Tue we would definitely do it. And if it was only $30, we'd instantly splurge on express passes since it's so cheap compared to HHN.

Just feel like the B-Team events have a ready audience if they'd cater to them instead of mirroring HHN. Because if it's a choice between HHN and anything else, it's no choice at all.

(edited to make sense after crappy original post)

See this is where I am too. If they offered some off HHN days I think they could clean up what HHN is leaving on the table. I'm flying in Tuesday and leaving the next Monday, I'd consider HoS if they were offering it Thursdays or Monday.

Twitter saying hhn Hollywood lost the rights to Halloween 3
Apparently they removed the shamrocks

Feels like this would be a good post for the Hollywood thread since HW is the only park with visual confirmation that they're getting one. An the shamrocks getting removed doesn't mean they lost it. Since back in 2019, they put up the façade for KKfOS and the tent was a dead giveaway, a little while later they covered it up. A whole façade is too big to take down and hide, unlike those shamrock signs which could be easy to remove and put back up.

However Ringwraith's post earlier does indicate things are a changin', so that could be the case.

Last edited:
See this is where I am too. If they offered some off HHN days I think they could clean up what HHN is leaving on the table. I'm flying in Tuesday and leaving the next Monday, I'd consider HoS if they were offering it Thursdays or Monday.
The “problem” is that that isn’t when the audience exists. HHN achieves it because Universal has 6 on-property hotels, two theme parks, a water park, and an entertainment district that draws a global audience. They sell multi-day vacations, which allows (read-encourages) guests to do everything they want during the week.

SeaWorld understands they’re a regional park that relies predominantly on local guests and field trips to survive. Locals aren’t showing up on a Monday night, even to HHN. The amount of tourists who use them as an add-on isn’t enough to bank on, and that number would be even smaller for a Halloween event.

From SeaWorld’s perspective, there’s not enough on the table to pursue.

EDIT -
Please not. I don’t really need Creepshow twice. I know Creative likes the IP but Scarezone and house is an overkill
It wouldn’t be in the street also.

The “problem” is that that isn’t when the audience exists. HHN achieves it because Universal has 6 on-property hotels, two theme parks, a water park, and an entertainment district that draws a global audience. They sell multi-day vacations, which allows (read-encourages) guests to do everything they want during the week.

SeaWorld understands they’re a regional park that relies predominantly on local guests and field trips to survive. Locals aren’t showing up on a Monday night, even to HHN. The amount of tourists who use them as an add-on isn’t enough to bank on, and that number would be even smaller for a Halloween event.

EDIT -

My group (we've each missed a few years) has been coming down since HHN14.

I realize the event is MOSTLY local, but my group of 6-12 people would pay to have something else to spend our money on.

I do a family trip as well later in the season...and not throwing shade, but SeaWorld could use some crowd when we come down late in the Haunt season.

Definitely room for everybody...so long as you don't mind getting "sloppy seconds." There's definitely demand for it....not so much for Sept and Oct Thur, Fri, Sat and Sun nights.

EDIT -

Yup, HHN has added dates on a Monday in the past (during hell week mind you, in 2018 & 2019) and the park was absolutely empty both dates.

Definitely room for everybody...so long as you don't mind getting "sloppy seconds." There's definitely demand for it....not so much for Sept and Oct Thur, Fri, Sat and Sun nights.
So, let’s say they need 10,000 people a night to break even. Hypothetically, market surveys indicate that on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, there are 60,000 locals and 40,000 tourists in town actively looking for something to do. And let’s say a quarter of them are inclined to attend HoS.That means they only need to attract 10% of those people to break even, which is likely because 25k are inclined to attend. The numbers support the event.

Now, let’s say it’s Monday night. They still need 10k to break even. But now, because it’s a week night, only 20k locals are actively looking for an activity and there are only 15k tourists. The inclination towards HoS remains at 25%, but now they need to pull 3x the percentage of available people of what they needed on the weekend, and less than 9k are inclined to attend. That means you are far more likely to lose money on Monday. Even if that tourists number increase by 5k specifically inclined tourists (meaning there are now 14k inclined to attend), they have to pull 70% of that number where they only needed to pull 40% the day prior.

It’s not about anecdotal numbers. It’s about profitability, market share, marketing, overhead, consumer trends and if the juice is worth the squeeze.

SeaWorld doesn’t think “non-HHN” nights are. And until they pull a marketshare percentage that implies otherwise, HoS will remain a weekend only event.

A successful SWOHoS is good for the market, period.

Unrelated to anything, but I like your signature :]

Also, just wanted to say that I think having another haunt in the area (especially one that I assume is going to be pretty decently funded) is going to made the haunt game even more exciting. I hope this pushes both Universal and Sea World creatively!

Status
Not open for further replies.