Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 30 (UOR) - Speculation & Rumors (2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love going multiple times to see what changes throughout the event in each house.

For 29, Depths of Fear was really weak in the beginning of the event and dramatically improved as time went on.

Plus I get a kick of watching people in the house with me get scared

Here’s the thing with me: The first time I ever went through a haunted house was my rehearsal for Screamhouse while they were filming the “The Art of the Scare” documentary.

That’s a 19 year-old me.

99C3ED23-C4FB-4431-8335-967C1C9A91B0.png

Lights were on. Every effect was explained. Every design decision was discussed. That was my first experience with any haunt. And then I proceeded to go through that specific house several times during the run from the perspective of a student, not a guest. I studied it because I wanted to design them. Because of that, I trained myself to take in a whole lot of a house immediately. I very rarely miss where scares or effects are and, by default, my mind dissects the how of it very quickly. To me, going through a haunted house is like watching a magic show where you’re able to figure out 90% of the tricks after one viewing. The second viewing confirms and gets me to 98%. It would take something pretty amazing to get me back to that show a third time.

This goes double for HHN houses because the performers are not granted a lot of improvisational flexibility. I prefer local haunts because the performers are able to let loose, so there’s a lot more “holy crap, that was awesome,” moments where I’m caught off-guard. They also tend to be far more experimental with effects. I have to be surprised before I can really enjoy a haunt, and HHN very rarely surprises me (their use of the vortex tunnel in Dead End was, to me, their last great surprising effect).

Haunts have formulas and, generally, Universal adheres to those formulas to a T. And that’s totally fine for their market and fans who want a comfortable party atmosphere. I’m remarkably private, so going to the event with a large group friends (especially multiple times) is not really an option. And that was before I left Florida. Now? Not a chance. The party atmosphere is a hindrance, not a draw.

I know in the fan community it makes me a pretty massive outlier. Whatever. I can enjoy the artistry of the event from home.

I've found the most interesting way is to do this:

1st run: go in blind
2nd run: see what I missed the first time
UTH Tour: get backstory and Easter eggs I might have missed
3rd run: Spot those things during the show
4th run: Make sure that my girlfriend gets every single scare through the whole house
Or literally blind if it’s super sunny outside still.

im strongly hoping for some kind of drink limit. dear god we need a drink limit

I don't see how they do this - people are going to pregame before arriving/in the garage/in CityWalk/during Stay n Scream long before the HHN booths open.

UO should bump up security, support the bartending staff if they cut someone off and trespass folks who abuse things. I just don't see how they can realistically limit drinks during the event when the damage will have already been done before it starts.

I don't see how they do this - people are going to pregame before arriving/in the garage/in CityWalk/during Stay n Scream long before the HHN booths open.

UO should bump up security, support the bartending staff if they cut someone off and trespass folks who abuse things. I just don't see how they can realistically limit drinks during the event when the damage will have already been done before it starts.
There’s no way they’re going to enforce a drink limit. A huge portion of money brought in during HHN is alcohol, and figuring out a way to track the amount of drinks per person seems complicated/expensive.

I post this every year, but get a pair of migraine sunglasses if you're doing S&S. These are what I use and I'm able to 100% see once I walk into the houses.

I finally bought these last year after ignoring your yearly post for a while haha. Highly recommend +1. My vision was a bit limited walking around prior haha but eyes fully adjusted from scene 1. great cheap investment

So with the photo spot stickers being put throughout scare zone locations does this mean there will be no roaming scare-actors and only photo ops this year in the streets?

Status
Not open for further replies.