Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

The NBA Experience

Disney’s just the rent collector here, so no, not even close to their worst as they didn’t invest in it. This is all on the NBA.
I don't know if this is true - I thought it was Disney's $75M.

As for the worst investment... I mean... Rocket Rods.
That's a good one, especially since it was meant to be the centerpiece of new Tomorrowland.

As for the worst investment... I mean... Rocket Rods.

That would be my vote. Downtime and issues galore, short lived yet leaving behind one of the biggest long-term visible corpses around. Not to mention with how much it damaged the infrastructure, the only viable fix is most likely a costly and lengthy project where who knows when that'll actually happen...circling right back to being left with one of the biggest visible corpses around.

For some buildings, you can close it and it can blend in. You just can't hide that track which sprawls all through Tomorrowland.

On the merch side... yeah, I saw the bubble merch they made and while there was a few things that I may have been interested in, the price is obnoxious and I could tell nothing was selling and it would be at the outlets soon enough.

Yeah who wouldn't want a t-shirt to commemorate this wonderful memorable season lol. What were they thinking?

Seems fitting as I created the thread (god it's been that long), but yes. It's dead, Jim.

Details on what will occupy the space will be shared at a later date; as the closure does not violate any deals Disney has with the NBA/WNBA; nor their partnership with the Orlando Magic.

To sum it up best on my thoughts:

Last edited:
Wasn't even actually open for a full year. Only about 7-8 months before it closed due to COVID. Gotta wonder what they'll come up with to put in here. It's not a small building, although not nearly as big as Disney Quest was either since CityWorks takes up a lot of the former plot of land.

Only surprise is the news wasn't dropped on Friday after the markets closed.

No one showed up to a celebrity grand opening, this thing was doomed from the start.
This closing doesn't really look as bad on Disney as it does on the NBA though, so not as much of a need to dump it. And the NBA isn't listed on the NYSE.

If I had to guess, I think they'll just break the building up in to two to three parts and put in multiple tenants to replace it instead of just one large one.

Most of us had 'what the hell is Disney thinking' thoughts when they first opened it up, after a poor showing of a similar concept in CitiWalk. They should have listened to us. :lol:
It would have saved them mucho bucks.....and to add...for all those people clamoring for a Wrestling type theme place at CitiWalk.....well, the same thing would happen. Too
small of a niche demographic.

CityWalk was a restaruant? That was totally profitable? But was evicted? And it's CityWalk not Citi?
OK, let's get picky about spelling.:hail: :lol:....and...bet Toothsome is making way way more money than NBA did, which was also retail besides being a themed NBA court restaurant at CityWalk. ...and by the way, Joe, you spelled restaurant wrong.

A thought that came to mind on something that could be a good replacement here in the Experience section (once COVID is more or less under control) would be an Escape Room. The building could house a bunch of them - think Star Wars themed, Disney animation, and they could do something with Dr. Strange or GotG at the very least to try to work around the Marvel contract.

I'm surprised they didn't do ESPN in general, a much wider audience than just the NBA. I'm a big NBA fan and it was the most boring $45 I've ever spent.
They didn't because Disney has no interest in putting their own concepts into DS. They want to collect rent off of third parties. Plus, they got CityWorks to build a sports bar next door, which is all that the ESPN Zone at Disneyland ever really was anyway. Sure there was a small arcade, but you can't build an ESPN place and theme it around specific sports since ESPN runs on licensing deals. The sports they show now they may not be showing in 5 years.

Mini-golf, all day. If NBA Experience was $10 and mini-golf was $30? Mini-golf. Even as someone with a passing interest in the NBA, there is not a thing that entices me about the place.

Wraping back to this, a glow in the dark with projection mapping mini golf course with 3, 18 hole courses featuring Modern Disney Classics, Pixar, and Star Wars seems like a great idea. Especially since the Pixar mini golf in NYC seems to have been a hit.

Wraping back to this, a glow in the dark with projection mapping mini golf course with 3, 18 hole courses featuring Modern Disney Classics, Pixar, and Star Wars seems like a great idea. Especially since the Pixar mini golf in NYC seems to have been a hit.
Disney already has two outdoor mini-golf courses though. Wouldn't that just be eating at their own business rather than give someone who doesn't like mini golf a different option?

Disney already has two outdoor mini-golf courses though. Wouldn't that just be eating at their own business rather than give someone who doesn't like mini golf a different option?
Those courses are decades old. Close em.

These would be way easier to access than those two plus there's always that persistent rumor Fantasia Golf is on the chopping block for more hotel expansion. Plus adding an indoor experience will help when it's raining.

So a Bob Iger pet project that was dead because everyone in Orlando said was a bad idea turned out to be a bad idea and died? Huh.

Expect those are always packed and Disney Quest was always the rainy weather backup for the "and more" portion of the Water Park Fun & More ticket that, although not still sold, would certainly be similar to whatever wholesale product they offer to their UK/S American partners once that bounces back.

Those courses are decades old. Close em.
No, the Fairways course is hard enough that it's amazing for people who play actual golf.