Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Studio Tour

Went to the park Monday and did the studio tour for the first time in a year or two. Went through all of the metro sets and even little Europe. Does the tour still go through Wisteria Lane? Haven’t done that in a very long time. Tour guide said they were setting up to film there though. Might be why we missed it.

The new picture car lot that replaced Whoville was very meh and hastily made. Having Kong and Fast and Furious be virtually the same attraction isn’t ideal. I do think the tour would benefit from axing one of those attractions. Maybe it’s just my nostalgia, but I did prefer the days of variety in the backlot tour attractions (parting the sea, collapsing bridge etc.) but overall still very fun, also great that they dropped all the FF interruptions throughout the tour. Way better without them.

Went to the park Monday and did the studio tour for the first time in a year or two. Went through all of the metro sets and even little Europe. Does the tour still go through Wisteria Lane? Haven’t done that in a very long time. Tour guide said they were setting up to film there though. Might be why we missed it.

The new picture car lot that replaced Whoville was very meh and hastily made. Having Kong and Fast and Furious be virtually the same attraction isn’t ideal. I do think the tour would benefit from axing one of those attractions. Maybe it’s just my nostalgia, but I did prefer the days of variety in the backlot tour attractions (parting the sea, collapsing bridge etc.) but overall still very fun, also great that they dropped all the FF interruptions throughout the tour. Way better without them.

Wisteria Lane is not always used and I believe they use the excuse of filming going on. You really can't see down the street due to the curve to see if anything is going on.

I agree that F&F and Kong are the same, yet I like Kong better.

I would like to see the F&F become a part of the park.

Just my opinion, but the tram will be axed anyways in the future. Again, just an opinion.

I agree, mainly would not mind if FF was in the ride if it was practical effects but as is now just a 3D show.

Wisteria Lane and the New York Metro sets have been very hit or miss on my last few trips. Sometimes we skip right past Metro but do get Wisteria Lane, and vice versa. Little Europe has been consistently visited, at least.

Definitely agree that there's a rough repetition between Kong and Fast & Furious.

Just my opinion, but the tram will be axed anyways in the future. Again, just an opinion.
I agree, mainly would not mind if FF was in the ride if it was practical effects but as is now just a 3D show.
Really? I’m not sure we’ll see the tram leave anytime soon. It’s Hollywood’s main draw. Maybe as filming becomes more on site or CG? Way down the line though

yes, and not even a particularly good 3D show. A reskin of T23D would have been a better 3D attraction/ stunt show opportunity. Too late for that now though. And I’m pretty sure Kong will go before Supercharged, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Wisteria Lane is not always used and I believe they use the excuse of filming going on. You really can't see down the street due to the curve to see if anything is going on.

I agree that F&F and Kong are the same, yet I like Kong better.

I would like to see the F&F become a part of the park.

Studio tour is the best experience in the park. I ride it every week and enjoy it even if some of it seems repetitive. I would dump F&F and black box the ride. Randomly have experiences based on a bunch of different universal films. Maybe updat the host of Jimmy Fallon bits. It will be around for a long time.

I've been on the mindset that if anything is happening to the Studio Tour in the near future; it'd be a change-up to have it be oriented into a Warner Bros. Studio Tour like experience. Something that focuses rather than to stimulate the feeling of "Films being simulated" to a grander version of the VIP experience's Studio Tour. Something that has active museums that rotate props, costumes, and picture cars; to match that of NBCUniversal products being developed.

Continue going through the backlot and front lot, by personalized trolleys, that can specifically tailor for per group tastes and preferences; while saving spending costs from simulated sequences (perhaps with the exclusion being Kong 360, as I could see them toying around and redoing that).

I think the Studio Tour has value for USH. But not as part of the current lineup.

The only thing with making the tour a smaller, upcharge attraction, you'd be losing a high-capacity attraction with nothing to replace it with.

I'd argue you would--as the Studio Tour Plaza could easily make up for a mini-land of some kind; especially if the tram garage is being moved somewhere else on property. Assuming they don't have something included with the Transportation Lot (which is definitely possible); there are places like the old pit-stop area back in the 80's and 90's that could be used for something like that.

That would allow Universal to continue expanding, if a second park is completely out the option for the USH property, perhaps going into the hillside in the process.

The only thing with making the tour a smaller, upcharge attraction, you'd be losing a high-capacity attraction with nothing to replace it with.

I've heard numerous proposals to make the Studio Tour a discrete experience or upcharge, but this is the point I always circle back to. Without the Studio Tour, Universal Hollywood is not a full-day park. It's a more significant attraction to the theme park than Kilimanjaros is to the Animal Kingdom in both scale and soul. Without it, the park loses a key component of its identity and becomes merely a collection of disparate attractions - many of them not even rooted in Universal properties.

We can talk about making the Studio Tour its own thing when Universal adds 8 more significant attractions elsewhere in the park. Until then, I just don't see it happening.

You would lose the one aging attraction in favor of MULTIPLE new lands and rides! Possibly even a 2nd gate. There's so much potential here as the tram is nothing special anymore.

I've been on the mindset that if anything is happening to the Studio Tour in the near future; it'd be a change-up to have it be oriented into a Warner Bros. Studio Tour like experience. Something that focuses rather than to stimulate the feeling of "Films being simulated" to a grander version of the VIP experience's Studio Tour. Something that has active museums that rotate props, costumes, and picture cars; to match that of NBCUniversal products being developed.

Continue going through the backlot and front lot, by personalized trolleys, that can specifically tailor for per group tastes and preferences; while saving spending costs from simulated sequences (perhaps with the exclusion being Kong 360, as I could see them toying around and redoing that).

I think the Studio Tour has value for USH. But not as part of the current lineup.
The tram is an easy attraction to "fix." It is a bus ride. Change some of the scenery that the guests see. People act like it is a dated Fantasyland attraction. It is not, it is the highlight of the park for most people.

I might be crazy but I remember hearing some rumors about the studio tour becoming a seperations paid attraction a while back? Maybe late 2019? It was shot down pretty fast.

without a doubt the Studio Tour is the highlight for most people. On my most recent trip we had a ton of out of state families that were completely enthralled from start to finish. Like Clive mentioned, without the Studio Tour the park looses its main draw. There are ways to revamp it without making it separate from the theme park. Although, as I stated earlier, a lot of people who aren’t frequent visitors still love it in its current form. Hard to change anything when that’s the case, and it’s still bringing in profit.

Last edited:
Described in plans submitted recently for USH:

"As described in the attached Project Description, the applicant proposes to install film sets on the Falls Lake site as part of the Universal Studios Tram Tour. "

Thoughts?