Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Halloween Horror Nights 2021 (USH) - News & Info

We discussed this. Our flight in is to Burbank with arrival at 9:35 am. I figure we are in our rental by 10:30am. (We are flying Southwest which is in meltdown mode right now). We did not want to do Universal on a Sat nite from years if reading this place. We were going to work our way down the Griffin Observatory, The Walk a Fame, La Brea Area to Santa Monica. I figure any place for haunts on Sat would be ridiculously busy so we were reluctant. Considering where we are coming in at going up to Valencia and SSMM made the most sense. But, would have done numerous Six Flags haunts. It is my Son's 18th birthday trip and he's a Senior and we were going try and snap some pics at the obvious places. So logistically it just flowed working down to the Pier and position ourselves for Universal on Sun with a sleep late morning. Monday allows for sleeping in a bit. And still getting somewhere around 12. Since our next two nights is in the Disney area, Knotts seemed pretty close with 6pm closing, allowed for us to get back and hit up Downtown Disney dinner.

If you are thinking Knotts is not miserable experience on Sat, I'm listening. I wouldnhave to switch up hotel stays on Sat night as that's too much back and forthing it in a "Mustang or similar" ride at over $4 bucks a gallon.

But we do want to do the pier, homeless issues or not, and we plan on being back one day for other stuff and San Diego.

Our flight is out of SNA at 9:30 on Wed.

I'm huge craft brew fan, any suggestions beside what's around the parks. I've had over 30 different Oktoberfest styles this year. I love Marden style lagers. I suspect Dufftoberfest is a Mass produced macro version but what the hell.

Anyone had the Fruity Pebble Churros?

We discussed this. Our flight in is to Burbank with arrival at 9:35 am. I figure we are in our rental by 10:30am. (We are flying Southwest which is in meltdown mode right now). We did not want to do Universal on a Sat nite from years if reading this place. We were going to work our way down the Griffin Observatory, The Walk a Fame, La Brea Area to Santa Monica. I figure any place for haunts on Sat would be ridiculously busy so we were reluctant. Considering where we are coming in at going up to Valencia and SSMM made the most sense. But, would have done numerous Six Flags haunts. It is my Son's 18th birthday trip and he's a Senior and we were going try and snap some pics at the obvious places. So logistically it just flowed working down to the Pier and position ourselves for Universal on Sun with a sleep late morning. Monday allows for sleeping in a bit. And still getting somewhere around 12. Since our next two nights is in the Disney area, Knotts seemed pretty close with 6pm closing, allowed for us to get back and hit up Downtown Disney dinner.

If you are thinking Knotts is not miserable experience on Sat, I'm listening. I wouldnhave to switch up hotel stays on Sat night as that's too much back and forthing it in a "Mustang or similar" ride at over $4 bucks a gallon.

But we do want to do the pier, homeless issues or not, and we plan on being back one day for other stuff and San Diego.

Our flight is out of SNA at 9:30 on Wed.

I'm huge craft brew fan, any suggestions beside what's around the parks. I've had over 30 different Oktoberfest styles this year. I love Marden style lagers. I suspect Dufftoberfest is a Mass produced macro version but what the hell.

Anyone had the Fruity Pebble Churros?

Won’t have time to get into everything right now, but Knott’s is the grandaddy of theme park haunts and it seems a bit of a waste to plan on going and not seeing at least some of the event. You could easily do a few rides and a few of the mazes on a Sat. Night. I’ve heard their scarezones are exceptional as well. Will it be packed? Yes, but packed for Knott’s is like a 50 min wait for a maze versus HHNH’s 2+ hours.

LA Haunted Hayride is another option and is absolutely delightful. It’s located on the valley side of Griffith and you could easily do everything there in a couple hours, even on a weekend night.

Being from NC and moving to SoCal, I don’t find the micro breweries that exciting here. Lots of IPAs and sours, which I enjoy, but right now I’m having a hard time even finding good pumpkin beers in different stores. Haven’t even attempted Oktoberfests, so I don’t have any recommendations.

Regarding the homeless: same rule as every major city applies - don’t talk to strangers. Don’t engage and keep walking and you’ll be fine. Had this happen to us yesterday walking down Hollywood and had to remind my partner where we were.

Speaking of which, there’s an excellent Pink Floyd exhibit happening at the Vogue Museum on Hollywood. Lots of their gear, posters, concert props (including puppets and inflatables). Takes about 2-3 hours to go through everything. That’d also give you a chance to see some of the walk of fame (not worth seeing every block, but always a fun surprise seeing one of someone you admire - yesterday was Angela Lansbury!).

Anyways, just a few thoughts. Whatever you decide on doing, I hope you have a great trip!

I tried to sell my Wife on letting me spring for After 2PM Express tickets last night for my visit this coming Sunday. She wasn't having it with the massive difference in price compared to the regular after 2pm tickets.
You know your wife better than me (obviously, lol) but I’d really consider revisiting this conversation. The fact of the matter is, it’s going to be jam packed. Even a “quiet” night at Hollywood HHN doesn’t guarantee you’ll do everything. The Express ticket is pretty much the only way to ensure that. Yes, you can grind and really hustle between the mazes, but that’s not an enjoyable experience at all, especially if it’s your only night going. Spending the extra money is a pain but 100% worth it when you get there and you can take your time enjoying everything.

Goes double for Knott’s. It’s a bigger park with more to see and do. I went on a Sunday this year and it was a madhouse — three hour waits for the marquee mazes and rides. But I had Fast Lane, so it wasn’t an issue at all, and I think a Fast Lane Knott’s ticket is less expensive than even a HHN general ticket.

So yeah, spring for the front-of-line tickets wherever you go. Unless you spent every dime to your name just to get to LA, it’s absolutely worth the additional cost.

You know your wife better than me (obviously, lol) but I’d really consider revisiting this conversation. The fact of the matter is, it’s going to be jam packed. Even a “quiet” night at Hollywood HHN doesn’t guarantee you’ll do everything. The Express ticket is pretty much the only way to ensure that. Yes, you can grind and really hustle between the mazes, but that’s not an enjoyable experience at all, especially if it’s your only night going. Spending the extra money is a pain but 100% worth it when you get there and you can take your time enjoying everything.

Goes double for Knott’s. It’s a bigger park with more to see and do. I went on a Sunday this year and it was a madhouse — three hour waits for the marquee mazes and rides. But I had Fast Lane, so it wasn’t an issue at all, and I think a Fast Lane Knott’s ticket is less expensive than even a HHN general ticket.

So yeah, spring for the front-of-line tickets wherever you go. Unless you spent every dime to your name just to get to LA, it’s absolutely worth the additional cost.

You’d know about Knott’s better than I, as I’ve opted to wait until Halloween night to attend. But, the early entry route I’ve posted for HHN has worked every night, including sold out nights. It’s been my choice to skip TCM and Halloween a few times, but you can 100% see everything doing early entry at USH.

You’d know about Knott’s better than I, as I’ve opted to wait until Halloween night to attend. But, the early entry route I’ve posted for HHN has worked every night, including sold out nights. It’s been my choice to skip TCM and Halloween a few times, but you can 100% see everything doing early entry at USH.
Oh, I don’t doubt that at all! And if you have an FFP and you go multiple times per season and your goal is to just kinda bang things out before things get overly crazy, then it’s a great plan for sure.

But I just think if someone is coming for one night, maybe they’d want to go at a more leisurely pace? Maybe they don’t want to do the houses in that exact order. Maybe they’d prefer to leave the park for a bit and have dinner at City Walk rather than eating quickly somewhere before running to the next house? I mean, that’s how I’d feel if it were me.

Oh, I don’t doubt that at all! And if you have an FFP and you go multiple times per season and your goal is to just kinda bang things out before things get overly crazy, then it’s a great plan for sure.

But I just think if someone is coming for one night, maybe they’d want to go at a more leisurely pace? Maybe they don’t want to do the houses in that exact order. Maybe they’d prefer to leave the park for a bit and have dinner at City Walk rather than eating quickly somewhere before running to the next house? I mean, that’s how I’d feel if it were me.

True, but I think they mentioned they can’t do express for Universal as it’s too expensive. In that case, you could do the 2 PM entry and get your money’s worth by seeing everything HHN has to offer.

True, but I think they mentioned they can’t do express for Universal as it’s too expensive. In that case, you could do the 2 PM entry and get your money’s worth by seeing everything HHN has to offer.

It is too expensive

We could do it, but it is an obscene amount of $640 for two people vs $240. I'd almost go for VIP for just the Sun Nite and skip any daytime only stuff. I think we are going to try the game plan laid out for 2pm entry and if we are just not enjoying ourselves, slow down and stay till they close.

My main concern now is that I want to purchase these tickets when I get off work. If I go for the express, I'll be out a lot more if the Southwest shenanigans continue and make no mistake this is pilots protesting the vax mandate no matter how they spin it. American's union is warning that this may happen there as well.

Last edited:
It is too expensive

We could do it, but it is an obscene amount of $640 for two people vs $240. I'd almost go for VIP for just the Sun Nite and skip any daytime only stuff. I think we are going to try the game plan laid out for 2pm entry and if we are just not enjoying ourselves, slow down and stay till they close.

My main concern now is that I want to purchase these tickets when I get off work. If I go for the express, I'll be out a lot more if the Southwest shenanigans continue and make no mistake this is pilots protesting the vax mandate no matter how they spin it. American's union is warning that this may happen there as well.
Gotcha. Yeah, then you’re good doing early entry and following that route for HHN. Over in the Knott’s thread, there’s some discussion about how you can see their event without Frightlane, even on a packed sold out Sat. Night.

It is too expensive

They have an after 11 pm express pass that costs around $90 that you might want to consider...at least they did a few weeks ago. We were able to hit every maze except for TCM before 10:30, then used the after-11 express pass to do everything again (plus TCM this time) heading out of the park. It was a good compromise. I haven't been since opening weekend, so I'm not 100% sure if they still offer this every night, or if it's still $90. We bought them in the lower lot just outside of the Mummy queue.

Has anyone heard rumblings of the event being extended to November yet? I'm guessing some cast members would know! Also, when did they announce the extensions in the past? I really want to go on Nov 6th, but I hate the uncertainty! I know before it's always been like the very last week before Halloween that they announce Nov dates, and I think 2019 already had the dates pre-planned. But it's my favorite time to go because it's the most empty and cheapest nights, so I'm really hoping it happens!

Anyone? Anyone???

Has anyone heard rumblings of the event being extended to November yet? I'm guessing some cast members would know! Also, when did they announce the extensions in the past? I really want to go on Nov 6th, but I hate the uncertainty! I know before it's always been like the very last week before Halloween that they announce Nov dates, and I think 2019 already had the dates pre-planned. But it's my favorite time to go because it's the most empty and cheapest nights, so I'm really hoping it happens!

Anyone? Anyone???
I recall in 2015 they extended it and announced it functionally last minute, basically like a week ahead if I'm not mistaken

Sorry if this is a repost, but anyone see this? Wish they could add this route to the Tram!

Is this new and part of the VIP experience or something? Heard nothing about this, but it does seem like a fun upgrade option. Wish we knew more about what the heck this is.

Is this new and part of the VIP experience or something? Heard nothing about this, but it does seem like a fun upgrade option. Wish we knew more about what the heck this is.
Pretty sure this is from the promo thing they did for the movie. They did a Q&A on the backlot with the cast and director, and then they also had some experiential activations happening. Media invite only. Could be mistaking it for something else, but I'm pretty sure this is from that event.

Yeah, I'm 95% sure that was a promotional attraction only, not open to the public. I believe it was put on by JFI, who are the same people who do Creep in LA.

They actually seem to do a crapload of promotional events like this are invite only. They did one for AHS 1984 and are about to do one for the upcoming I Know What You Did Last Summer series. The latter was opened to the public, but tickets were extremely limited and snapped up super quick. The vast majority of them are not open to the public. Wish they were.

I haven’t heard anything about an extension and wouldn’t hold your breath. It’s difficult enough to keep the event acceptably cast right now.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed!

Yeah, I'm 95% sure that was a promotional attraction only, not open to the public. I believe it was put on by JFI, who are the same people who do Creep in LA.

They actually seem to do a crapload of promotional events like this are invite only. They did one for AHS 1984 and are about to do one for the upcoming I Know What You Did Last Summer series. The latter was opened to the public, but tickets were extremely limited and snapped up super quick. The vast majority of them are not open to the public. Wish they were.
Seems like such a waste to put all this effort in just for it to be for YouTube, basically. Makes no sense.

Anyone? Anyone???
:look:

All I'm going to say is that I'm glad I decide to spend the extra money for the 2pm Express.

I've been to Disneyworld between Christmas and New Years and wasn't that crowded.