Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Tokyo Disneyland Resort

I hope they get them...I mean both Lands also need to be redone from the ground up...so hope that happens for both parks soon

Give us a new updated Buzz ride, new Space and make the land look better
I think the entire left side of MK's TL needs to be gutted at the very least, if not demolished and rebuilt meaning:

- Stitch/AE building
- Merchants of Venus
- Restrooms
- Cosmic Ray's

They can't do anything with the Stitch building, so everything up until Cosmic Ray's needs to be reconfigured so they might as well use that type of opportunity to updated Cosmic Ray's. By gutting or demolishing and rebuilding, it would open up a huge portion of land for them to work with to build a new ride that can be whatever they want it to be.

It's also hillarious to me how Tomorrowland Speedway is still gas powered, and how much land it takes up

I would like to see something done with that

Also, if this is a custom Vekoma coaster exclusively for Tokyo, I'm going to sue Bob Chapek

Last edited:
Surprised that OLC went for it, as they're notoriously resistant to tinkering with the classics.
The ride opened in Tokyo in 1983. It'll be 41 years since this ride opened and like MK, it has never been retracked. It received an update in 2007 that was very much like what WDW got in 2009 - all cosmetic to make it look more sci-fi futuristic, but no real change to the ride. Like WDW, it also does not have on-board audio for the trains unlike the superior Space Mountain versions.

I think it got to the point where OLC just said, Hey, we got 40 years out of this ride system and the Space Mountain brand is very strong. Let's knock it down and rebuild with a classy and faithfully inspired exterior design and give people a ride that they can enjoy for another 40 years.

Basically, the ride is past its shelf life and they are doing the responsible thing unlike TDO who seems to not care about MK's SM. One can be hopeful that maybe they will do something after Tron opens, but I wouldn't get too hopeful.

TDL is completely rebuilding their Space Mountain and it looks beautiful!
space-mountain-concept-art-tokyo-disneyland.jpg

It gives me a lot of Shanghai Tomorrowland vibes with the multi-level, the blues and the giant courtyard in front of the attraction, but does a good job of combining a sleek new look that is fitting of Space Mountain with great modern architectural design.

Here's the TRON plaza I was referencing. There's clearly some things this that inspired the new TDL Space area, but they passed on TRON to update the classic attraction and give it a new sleek look that is timeless whereas TRON's aesthetic I feel is already starting to become a bit dated.

Look!! They are building Moana's Journey of Water right beside Space Mountain!!!

Just joking. The budget for this is around $435 million. I wish WDW would do this, including the landscaping, but it would probably $900M and the ride would be cut in half.

The budget for this is around $435 million. I wish WDW would do this, including the landscaping, but it would probably $900M and the ride would be cut in half.

I just can't get my head around how insanely expensive this is going to be.

This better not just contain a rebuilt version of the old ride. For me it's Disneylad Paris' Space Mountain (From the Earth to the Moon) which sets the bar - truly ground breaking when it opened, amazing sound track, and still beats all other Space Mountains IMO.

This better not just contain a rebuilt version of the old ride. For me it's Disneylad Paris' Space Mountain (From the Earth to the Moon) which sets the bar - truly ground breaking when it opened, amazing sound track, and still beats all other Space Mountains IMO.

I guess that I keep reminding myself that Tron and Guardians both approached or exceeded this amount.

Its Tokyo and at this point I trust them more then any other Disney Park

I'm sure the new Space Mountain will be the best version using much much newer tech

Its Tokyo and at this point I trust them more then any other Disney Park

I'm sure the new Space Mountain will be the best version using much much newer tech
Even with it being brand new, it'll depend on layout on if it's better because the Paris Space is easily the best SM right now with it's launch and Jules Verne theme.

Look!! They are building Moana's Journey of Water right beside Space Mountain!!!

Just joking. The budget for this is around $435 million. I wish WDW would do this, including the landscaping, but it would probably $900M and the ride would be cut in half.
You joke, but I bet this will cost the same as Tron, mysteriously

Great to see TDL get a much-needed update for their Space Mountain! I should probably plan a trip for early-ish 2024 to make sure I get that credit. Since they're literally tearing the whole thing down and starting from scratch, I wonder if the ride will get a completely new layout?

I also love the new aesthetic of the "mountain". It looks very futuristic and very Tron-like. Wonder if they will plan to bring the Tron Lightcycle coaster over there eventually?

Ever since the announcement, I've seen a lot of buzz about people wanting an updated Tomorrowland for DLR. While I don't think a total tear-down will be necessary, I think a refresh and retrack could be used. Imagine if they brought Tron to DL and had Space Mountain looking like this right next to it.

Even with it being brand new, it'll depend on layout on if it's better because the Paris Space is easily the best SM right now with it's launch and Jules Verne theme.
I've seen the launch and it is really great but....if they finally make Space Mountain and E ticket as you see other spaceships, meteor's, and planets then to me that will be the best version

I want a SM that finally isn't a room full of disco lights and a Q that is boring....I hope they finally make you feel like your at least in a space station

You joke, but I bet this will cost the same as Tron, mysteriously

My apologies. I was joking about Moana's Journey of Water where that water feature is shown on the art.

I was very serious in that I would not be surprised to find the Tron ends up costing around $400M. The building, lattice work and cover, concrete paths, and WDI's penchant for overcomplicating and overcharging all stack up to a sizable cost.

The ride opened in Tokyo in 1983. It'll be 41 years since this ride opened and like MK, it has never been retracked. It received an update in 2007 that was very much like what WDW got in 2009 - all cosmetic to make it look more sci-fi futuristic, but no real change to the ride. Like WDW, it also does not have on-board audio for the trains unlike the superior Space Mountain versions.

I think it got to the point where OLC just said, Hey, we got 40 years out of this ride system and the Space Mountain brand is very strong. Let's knock it down and rebuild with a classy and faithfully inspired exterior design and give people a ride that they can enjoy for another 40 years.

Basically, the ride is past its shelf life and they are doing the responsible thing unlike TDO who seems to not care about MK's SM. One can be hopeful that maybe they will do something after Tron opens, but I wouldn't get too hopeful.
This is exactly what I was going to say. It wouldn’t surprise me if WDI sold OLC on the Guardians Vekoma ride vehicle to help spread out some of the development costs after the fact.

I don't see it happening for quite some time considering the investment they just put into the parks (and the timeline on this), but please please pretty please bring something like this stateside. DL deserves it more if they can't bring Tron over, but how amazing would it be to see this next to Tron at MK and have a completely reborn land with a cohesive aesthetic?

I don't see it happening for quite some time considering the investment they just put into the parks (and the timeline on this), but please please pretty please bring something like this stateside. DL deserves it more if they can't bring Tron over, but how amazing would it be to see this next to Tron at MK and have a completely reborn land with a cohesive aesthetic?

See this is where I disagree, I know it's already a done deal but putting Tron next to Space Mountain in MK was a stupid decision. For me it's either one or the other to anchor Tomorrowland. Tron looks fantastic but should have gone elsewhere.

See this is where I disagree, I know it's already a done deal but putting Tron next to Space Mountain in MK was a stupid decision. For me it's either one or the other to anchor Tomorrowland. Tron looks fantastic but should have gone elsewhere.
Would've definitely helped out DHS because that park is still desperate for rides even after all the money spent there.

My comment is based on the reality of the situation. I've always been in the camp that thought it was odd to plop it down right next to Space Mountain, but I've gotten over it and in my head it would have just been a different big attraction vs none at all. I thought Guardians made more sense since you could continue the spaceport vibe, but I think when you swap the locations the rides are a little too samey I guess. I would call that cohesion in the Tron at Epcot case, but Guardians would definitely just be Space Mountain but better (from the look of the track layout at least). Tron at Epcot, then Guardians anchoring a new Marvel Land at DHS with a retheme of RnR would have been cool (as long as they didn't touch Sunset Blvd). I think when you look at high thrill/intensity rides, MK kind of needed one. Space Mountain is the closest to that, but maybe not quite there by modern standards. It's also the most visited park in the world, so added capacity is always a good option and Tron is going to eat people.

Anyway, we're getting it at MK and Tron is an excellent excuse to gut Space Mountain in a few years. I'm sure there are some diehards that don't even want new track, but as a part of a major overhaul of the land the new look would work pretty well. Oh, and just bulldoze autopia too unless they can figure out the battery tech and make the course seem futuristic somehow.

Last edited:
Sorry I know this is super late but I just went back and read the impressions on BatB and wanted to put my thoughts down.

I was very disappointed on my first ride. The big thing that Disney dark rides lack these days is any sense of thrill or danger. It's all just happy showtunes. When I saw that huge Beast animatronic in the pre-show I was anticipating that thing getting all up in my face in a dark forest scene. But no, just more happy showtunes in huge warehouse sets.

As predicted though, it is a huge hit with the local audience. I've seen multiple Japanese girls come off of BatB literally sobbing.

Sorry I know this is super late but I just went back and read the impressions on BatB and wanted to put my thoughts down.

I was very disappointed on my first ride. The big thing that Disney dark rides lack these days is any sense of thrill or danger. It's all just happy showtunes. When I saw that huge Beast animatronic in the pre-show I was anticipating that thing getting all up in my face in a dark forest scene. But no, just more happy showtunes in huge warehouse sets.

As predicted though, it is a huge hit with the local audience. I've seen multiple Japanese girls come off of BatB literally sobbing.

I'm not sure if it is thrills or danger that are missing. It's more about heart or soul. The new generation of dark rides seem to focus on the main songs and the retelling of the stories but something gets lost. Little Mermaid has some good animatronics but, even though I typically ride it (because the line is shorter), it still is missing that certain something. Mainly, the rides come across as kind of boring. Pirates isn't really thrilling or dangerous (aside from worrying about getting wet) but it has a great story. Same with Haunted Mansion. Peter Pan is old school and finds a way to tie into that nostalgia. I love Winnie the Pooh (WDW version) and I know that it isn't everyone's favorite. However, you feel invested in the story as opposed to being an outside observer. Maybe that's what is missing.