Anime at Universal Parks & Resorts | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums
  • Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
OK, so Universal is where you go to "ride the movies" so yes, I'm using movies as a basis.

But for the sake of discussion (don't want to say argument) let's talk about your specific example of Target since I regularly visit 3 different ones by me.

Each one has a section, on the back wall by electronics that has horror figures, some Funkos, weird stuffed animals, and some Anime stuff (figures, Funkos, shirts in boxes, keychains, pins, etc). I'd say this section is about 20 feet wide.

The toy section is huge, like 10 isles, and it has a bunch of Jurassic World, Stranger Things, South Park, Simpsons and other popular Funkos. It also has an entire aisle, both sides, for Jurassic World Dominion right now. When the new Minions movie comes out, it will have an entire isle dedicated to it. Plus stuff randomly peppered through the store and by checkouts. Minions band aids make end cap displays in the healthcare section, Mandalorian branded goldfish and Stranger Things Doritos get displays in the food section. Up front by the checkouts they have trading cards and random "mystery packs" of minions and other IP.

Why are the Anime toys not in the toy section? (Granted Bakugon stuff is). Why are their shirts not in the clothing section? Why aren't any little things like pins up by the trading cards/collectibles? Why is their stuff all concentrated in a 20' section on the backmost wall of the store behind the obsolete (due to ebooks) book section?

Because it's niche.

Again, supply and demand and the resulting advertising based on sales. If the stuff sold really well, it would be in the high traffic areas. 60sqft on the back wall of a 100,000sqft big box store doesn't equal huge popularity. In fact, the section usually spans about 2 aisles and the endcaps opposite of it at 2 out of the 3 Targets (the third has $10 blu-ray deals) is the clearance section. The least valuable and desired stuff in the store is in the same area for 67% of my local stores.

A lot of people love it, a lot of critics hail the movies and give them great reviews, but sorry...the general public, by and large, doesn't care.

A themepark has to appeal to the masses to be profitable, much like Target had to be profitable so there is no business case for putting Anime stuff in prime locations using up valuable square footage.

Yeah, the Tonight Show is my fave movie. Anyway, I never said a major attraction would be based on a property, just that anime has become very popular here.

Dude, you can chill. No idea why you have a deep need to prove Anime is not a thing.

DBZ, Sailor Moon, Demon Slayer, My Hero Academia all have tons of merch.

Anime is really only niche to the older generation.

I was kind of shocked that Naruto seemed to be one of the most popular costume IPs from the people watching I did in my neighborhood last Halloween.

No, it's still niche. Just because it's more popular with a younger demo doesn't change that fact.
I think when you're talking about widespread appeal among a large demographic, particularly one that is a primary demo for Uni, niche just doesn't feel like the right adjective.

Disney created a channel with Anime as a primary block. I think that's something.

I think when you're talking about widespread appeal among a large demographic, particularly one that is a primary demo for Uni, niche just doesn't feel like the right adjective.

Disney created a channel with Anime as a primary block. I think that's something.

A block on a secondary channel, correct? Seems pretty niche.

and I say niche not to disparage the genre, because it seems a lot of these pro-Anime discussions comes from trying to validate the genre instead of the logistics of it all. For example, Star Wars is huge here, but I wouldn't expect a theme park land in China. If USJ doesn't even have a permanent attraction for anime, why should we expect one here stateside?

and I say niche not to disparage the genre, because it seems a lot of these pro-Anime discussions comes from trying to validate the genre instead of the logistics of it all. For example, Star Wars is huge here, but I wouldn't expect a theme park land in China. If USJ doesn't even have a permanent attraction for anime, why should we expect one here stateside?
Yes, it was a secondary channel built with the idea in mind for the next generation before Cable's decline started.

A seasonal attraction doesn't seem completely out of the question when Uni still has Fievel taking up space.

Yes, it was a secondary channel built with the idea in mind for the next generation before Cable's decline started.

A seasonal attraction doesn't seem completely out of the question when Uni still has Fievel taking up space.

I'd say it is as Universal doesn't even do seasonal attractions for anything, let alone Holiday layovers. I've yet to hear a convincing argument when all signs point towards it not happening other than "It has fans".

USJ technically does bring One Piece and Conan back every year with new experiences...so a permanent fixture just a new experience every year with One Piece being a markup of $40 USD per person for the show with 99% Guest satisfaction rating.

It’s worth pointing out that this whole discussion started because a rumor was presented with no concrete basis.

There is no evidence that anything beyond the existing Hello Kitty store is being considered for Universal at this time. Pokémon is rumored for Japan and could potentially make its way stateside somewhere down the line.

While anime’s popularity has grown in the U.S., it simply does not have the mass, cross-generational appeal that Universal looks for when choosing attraction IPs (outside the aforementioned outliers).

USJ technically does bring One Piece and Conan back every year with new experiences...so a permanent fixture just a new experience every year with One Piece being a markup of $40 USD per person for the show with 99% Guest satisfaction rating.

That’s not permanent, it’s a seasonal experience that lasts 5-6 months.

It’s worth pointing out that this whole discussion started because a rumor was presented with no concrete basis.

There is no evidence that anything beyond the existing Hello Kitty store is being considered for Universal at this time. Pokémon is rumored for Japan and could potentially make its way stateside somewhere down the line.

While anime’s popularity has grown in the U.S., it simply does not have the mass, cross-generational appeal that Universal looks for when choosing attraction IPs (outside the aforementioned outliers).

and just to add onto this point, I’ve heard it’s possible that the Hello Kitty store may be on the block.

That’s not permanent, it’s a seasonal experience that lasts 5-6 months.

and just to add onto this point, I’ve heard it’s possible that the Hello Kitty store may be on the block.
I've been in the USF Hello Kitty store dozens of times. I rarely see more than a couple of people in the store. The Betty Boop side seems busier. I would bet that Hello Kitty has not done
anywhere close to the sales numbers they expected.

It's always fun to read people's justifications as to why their pet IP should get represented in the parks....

With all of the IP's they do own that are under represented or not represented at all, they aren't going to bring "insert Anime IP they don't own here" to the parks and give it a ride/land/big presence. A store, or just a presence in a store is the most you can expect for the foreseeable future.

It's always fun to read people's justifications as to why their pet IP should get represented in the parks....

With all of the IP's they do own that are under represented or not represented at all, they aren't going to bring "insert Anime IP they don't own here" to the parks and give it a ride/land/big presence. A store, or just a presence in a store is the most you can expect for the foreseeable future.

It's why I've maintained that I genuinely do not see it outside of Pokemon and expanding Sanrio's presence.

A presence that unfortunately it's smaller presence seems to not be making the strides it should have.

Reactions: fryoj and Coolbfitz
Not to be mean, but those who say Anime is not niche and/or think it’s actually mainstream need to interact with more people outside their immediate group of peers

but what do the trades know.

Heck, the closest thing to Anime at Universal Florida is the Hello Kitty (which is huge in Japan) store....and you can hear crickets in there, it's usually sooooo dead..USA is not Japan. Different folks.
Different culture. Different tastes.....Next thing, we'll probably hear that The Furries niche group will be getting an attraction :grin: :lol: Heck, they even have their own Convention (In Pgh. again this year). ...USF: "Ride the Furries".

Last edited:
Reactions: Coolbfitz

but what do the trades know.

One, the fact that they’re growing (objectively true!) does not mean they are big enough to justify a semipermanent or permanent feature in American parks beyond what is already present.

Two, and I’m speaking as someone who works in the industry, the trades work with entertainment companies to build narratives all the time. You’re not going to get completely unfiltered, objective reporting from Hollywood Reporter, Variety, or Deadline.