Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

2nd USH Gate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's doubtful. An actual theme park would stay open 365 whereas a water park would have to go seasonal. That's why Disney has yet to build one in Anaheim.

I think, if a Second gate was to be considered; it could.

There are ways they can do it, but that I think if they do a Second gate, it may have to be indoors..for particular reasons mentioned before.

They could make a water park year round. LA has decent weather most of the year. If they have it open when other water parks are closed, they can effectively monopolize the market.

If this is true. Oh boy.

Uni's about to wipe the floor with Disney.
If Disney's Anaheim plans for the next decade come to fruition, there will be nothing Uni can do to stop them. It's incredible. (And yes, it includes a 3rd gate.)

If Disney's Anaheim plans for the next decade come to fruition, there will be nothing Uni can do to stop them. It's incredible. (And yes, it includes a 3rd gate.)

I would disagree.

Outside of SWL and the Avengers E-Ticket Darkcoaster for DCA, I can't see anything that would make me say, Disney will beat Universal ten to one.

Now, in the next ten years; I could be in a different tune, but I don't think DLR is ready for a third gate.

Universal on the other hand, with adding two hotels and a second gate; it could help balance things.

I would disagree.

Outside of SWL and the Avengers E-Ticket Darkcoaster for DCA, I can't see anything that would make me say, Disney will beat Universal ten to one.

Now, in the next ten years; I could be in a different tune, but I don't think DLR is ready for a third gate.

Universal on the other hand, with adding two hotels and a second gate; it could help balance things.
Wish I could say more...

The 3rd DLR gate is looking quite spectacular. Many more hotels are part of Anaheim 10 year plan, including at least doubling (and probalbly tripling) current capacity.

Wish I could say more...

The 3rd DLR gate is looking quite spectacular. Many more hotels are part of Anaheim 10 year plan, including at least doubling (and probalbly tripling) current capacity.

There have been, no rumors at all towards Disneyland getting a third gate.

I have no idea, whether to believe you or not, as nothing has been rumored for it. Literally.

There have been, no rumors at all towards Disneyland getting a third gate.

I have no idea, whether to believe you or not, as nothing has been rumored for it. Literally.
There's been some talk, but most are keeping quiet about it. Nothing I've said hasn't been communicated before.

I've been told to expect Disneysea to be dethroned.

There's been some talk, but most are keeping quiet about it. Nothing I've said hasn't been communicated before.

I've been told to expect Disneysea to be dethroned.

I'm sorry, but I believe this about as much as I believe USH getting a second gate. The problem with both is space. The Disneyland Resort really doesn't have any single plot of land large enough to house another gate park. The fact that they were able to build California Adventure was astounding (I don't think people realize how small CA actually is. Pre Cars Land expansion, it barely clocked in at 60 acres... Just a little larger than Volcano Bay). The entire resort is basically surrounded by city. Its almost like claiming Universal Orlando is going to build a "4th" gate at the current resort site.

Similarly, Universal would basically have to close down half, if not more, of their production facilities in Hollywood to free up land for another gate. The theme parks are profitable, but not THAT profitable.

I'm sorry, but I believe this about as much as I believe USH getting a second gate. The problem with both is space. The Disneyland Resort really doesn't have any single plot of land large enough to house another gate park. The fact that they were able to build California Adventure was astounding (I don't think people realize how small CA actually is. Pre Cars Land expansion, it barely clocked in at 60 acres... Just a little larger than Volcano Bay). The entire resort is basically surrounded by city. Its almost like claiming Universal Orlando is going to build a "4th" gate at the current resort site.

Similarly, Universal would basically have to close down half, if not more, of their production facilities in Hollywood to free up land for another gate. The theme parks are profitable, but not THAT profitable.

I would argue tearing down the WoTW/Falls/Supercharged could free up quite a bit of space.

I would argue tearing down the WoTW/Falls/Supercharged could free up quite a bit of space.

WoTW going would be possible. But Supercharged is still new (and was expensive for the park) its not going anywhere for a long time. The continued success of the movies alone cements that. And the Falls to the day is actively used in film productions. Pirates of the Caribbean, The Hunger Games films... Even Beyonce's Formation music video were filmed there. Now sure, Universal has moved the location before, and its closed production facilities to help park expansion... But the Falls isn't a run of the mill replaceable sound stage, it is unique in what it offers for productions and I don't see them simply shuttering it all together.

WoTW going would be possible. But Supercharged is still new (and was expensive for the park) its not going anywhere for a long time. The continued success of the movies alone cements that. And the Falls to the day is actively used in film productions. Pirates of the Caribbean, The Hunger Games films... Even Beyonce's Formation music video were filmed there. Now sure, Universal has moved the location before, and its closed production facilities to help park expansion... But the Falls isn't a run of the mill replaceable sound stage, it is unique in what it offers for productions and I don't see them simply shuttering it all together.

Here is a valid question though, is Falls Lake that impossible to move? I could easily see them move that down northeast of property, next to Little Europe; and that they may be fine there and that they can still have something like that on the lot.

And as for Supercharged, yes; there would be some concerns. But I think as the Studio Tour keeps transitioning due to changes needed, I could see it's days while numbered; the IP could still have a potential future in the future second gate.

Psycho House, may be the harder cookie to crack; as I don't know if that's a national landmark, but that I think it is rather possible that they can do it.

Also, is there a grand site-plan of what Universal fully owns for the property? Thay may help answer some of what I'm trying to say.

That would be the most realistic spot. If they are able to demo Supercharged, Falls Lake, WOTW, the parking area near ET, Psycho house, Bates Motel and Whoville. That's about 45ish acres depending on how creative they get with the land, that is more than enough room for a 2nd gate. They'd have to literally squeeze every square inch available and be willing to build fairly close to the neighbors (luckily NBC/Uni owns most of those houses).

I would love for this to happen, but i'll believe it when I see it.

Here is a valid question though, is Falls Lake that impossible to move? I could easily see them move that down northeast of property, next to Little Europe; and that they may be fine there and that they can still have something like that on the lot.

And as for Supercharged, yes; there would be some concerns. But I think as the Studio Tour keeps transitioning due to changes needed, I could see it's days while numbered; the IP could still have a potential future in the future second gate.

Psycho House, may be the harder cookie to crack; as I don't know if that's a national landmark, but that I think it is rather possible that they can do it.

Also, is there a grand site-plan of what Universal fully owns for the property? Thay may help answer some of what I'm trying to say.
The Psycho sets are not in the original location. They were originally closer to the Jaws attraction before they were moved to where they are now. They could move those sets again to make room for the second gate.

If they pull it off like what K_Peek mentioned, I could totally see a second gate happening there since Disney wants to build a third one. There's talk of them wanting to put a Sky Ride up to the Hollywood sign. Combine that with the second gate and CityWalk, and USH would be a destination place for sure.

EDIT: Wait, do you think that if the Olympics do end up happening, we could get a second gate for 2024?

Last edited:
The most important, in a strange way.

I think that'd be the defining factor on whether or not Universal does it, as I think with Comcast steering ship; they could do that, especially with NBCU being in the middle of everything Olympic based.
Whether or not the Olympics happen over here, I don't think it would be an issue of "Welp, I guess we're not doin' it", it would be more of an issue of "Eh, what's the rush." Disney is going to HAVE to do a third gate eventually and even some people are saying it's happening. I think if the Olympics don't happen over here, they'll just wait until Disney confirms theirs.

Status
Not open for further replies.