Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

For those that have seen the trailer before Doctor Strange, what were your thoughts? I've been seeing a lot of different things online about cheers during the trailer, but again, I didn't get the trailer before my showing.

For those that have seen the trailer before Doctor Strange, what were your thoughts? I've been seeing a lot of different things online about cheers during the trailer, but again, I didn't get the trailer before my showing.
Trailer looks really beautiful, not so much more amazing than some of the best CG landscapes we’ve seen in recent years with Aquamam, Dune, Etc, but def Avatar level. The Navi look way more realistic, with clearer and more translucent skin textures. Looks like the story may be bridging Avatar to its theme park component, as we saw similar visuals to the walk around character. Underwater footage looks as good as you think it would, music was slightly disappointing but again we won’t have the same composer for obvious reasons (RIP).

It looks good and maybe they are saving the best shots for the film

But doesn't feel as ground breaking and not saying this to poop on it....but you'd think after ten years they'd nail down that these creatures look just real 100% but they still have some uncanny valley in them

Film looks good just not sure if this time it will make half as much as the first film. But I'm hoping its fun

Trailer looks really beautiful, not so much more amazing than some of the best CG landscapes we’ve seen in recent years with Aquamam, Dune, Etc, but def Avatar level. The Navi look way more realistic, with clearer and more translucent skin textures. Looks like the story may be bridging Avatar to its theme park component, as we saw similar visuals to the walk around character. Underwater footage looks as good as you think it would, music was slightly disappointing but again we won’t have the same composer for obvious reasons (RIP).
Yeah, Cameron has actually said some of the characters introduced in Flight of Passage will be in this movie.

Kind of hard to compare what we saw (2D - even at a 3D showing, 2k) to what the theater owners saw: 3D, 4K, 4fps, Dolby Atmos & Vision

Eh, what you saw is probably about what the majority of moviegoers will see, though.
Most theaters can do 3D and a large majority can actually do 48fps (Its part of the digital standard) as long as its 2K. 4K 48fps was only standardized a few years agp. What most theaters lack is Dolby Atmos and DolbyVision (I believe Disney Springs AMC is the only DV theater in Orlando)

There’s probably only a dozen theaters in the country that will show it in 4K 3D 48fps.

The Hobbit was in 48fps and it’s now impossible to find a print of it anywhere.
The Hobbit was digital, not a print. And almost any theater can do 48fps at 2K if its digital. Its built into the software. This is the standards :
he DCI specification calls for picture encoding using the ISO/IEC 15444-1 "JPEG2000" (.j2c) standard and use of the CIE XYZ color space at 12 bits per component encoded with a 2.6 gamma applied at projection. Two levels of resolution for both content and projectors are supported: 2K (2048×1080) or 2.2 MP at 24 or 48 frames per second, and 4K (4096×2160) or 8.85 MP at 24 frames per second. The specification ensures that 2K content can play on 4K projectors and vice versa. Smaller resolutions in one direction are also supported (the image gets automatically centered). Later versions of the standard added additional playback rates (like 25 fps in SMPTE mode). For the sound component of the content the specification provides for up to 16 channels of uncompressed audio using the "Broadcast Wave" (.wav) format at 24 bits and 48 kHz or 96 kHz sampling.
Playback is controlled by an XML-format Composition Playlist, into an MXF-compliant file at a maximum data rate of 250 Mbit/s. Details about encryption, key management, and logging are all discussed in the specification as are the minimum specifications for the projectors employed including the color gamut, the contrast ratio and the brightness of the image. While much of the specification codifies work that had already been ongoing in the Society of Motion Picture and Television Engineers (SMPTE), the specification is important in establishing a content owner framework for the distribution and security of first-release motion-picture content.

48fps 4k is a recent addition.

Most theaters can do 3D and a large majority can actually do 48fps (Its part of the digital standard) as long as its 2K. 4K 48fps was only standardized a few years agp. What most theaters lack is Dolby Atmos and DolbyVision (I believe Disney Springs AMC is the only DV theater in Orlando)
If a theater in 2022 can't do 3D showings it's simply outdated. But i'd argue still most people in the country will see Avatar in 2D simply because it's cheaper. Granted it will easily do the highest percentage of 3D sales since probably the original Avatar in 2009 (although Alice in Wonderland took advantage of 3D in a big way riding the coat tails of Avatar en route to becoming a billion dollar movie).

I could easily see a 65/35 or 60/40 split at best between 2D and 3D with Avatar which will help it earn more faster as well. Seeing a movie in a theater isn't cheap though, especially in cities, and 3D only adds on to that cost, which is why I still say 2D will make up the majority of showings.

Well, it definitely looked pretty. Just waiting to see if I care about the story. :lol:
The sequels are all about the "Sully family" so Jake, Neytiri and their kids. Aside from that, I don't think much is known except a large portion takes place in the water. Kate Winslet's character apparently plays a big role in the movies going forward, too.

I know that the Pandora stuff is gonna be beautiful, but I do want to see a trailer where we see some of the humans and what they're up to as a part of this film as I know humans continue to play a role in all of this and I feel like that's going to be where a lot of the conflict is again.

I do, however, think it was smart to release a trailer in theaters and show off Pandora again in front of sold out audiences around the globe. The MCU audience isn't only teens and many people who have been watching the MCU since Iron Man were in theaters to see Avatar in 2009, so seeing that trailer in theaters again helps to remind people how much they liked the experience of basking in the world of Pandora, and many of the theater reaction videos i've seen online to the trailer go to show that there's a lot of people that want to see this. I'm gonna laugh at the doubters when it's the highest grossing film of the year.

I know that the Pandora stuff is gonna be beautiful, but I do want to see a trailer where we see some of the humans and what they're up to as a part of this film as I know humans continue to play a role in all of this and I feel like that's going to be where a lot of the conflict is again.

They made a big deal (what seems like five or six years ago at this point) announcing all the kids who were cast in the movie, and about half of them were said to be playing human characters, so it appears there will definitely be a human storyline of some significance, and the presence of children playing a major role in it hopefully suggests we're not just retreading what happened in the first movie again.

Had a much better cinematic experience tonight as I saw it with some different people at the Disney Springs Dolby (which btw AP's get a discount on, making the price very reasonable all things considered) and The Way Of Water trailer did play in front of the movie tonight unlike my showing on Thursday.

Overall, I thought for a teaser, where the main point is to get people interested and letting people know that it's a thing coming out, it seems to have really done its job. It looks absolutely beautiful and only having one line of dialogue in a trailer that's around a minute and 30 seconds was both risky, but also the most James Cameron thing to do. He basically said: "Look at this. You remember it, right? Don't you wanna put those 3D glasses back on and go back to Pandora? You know you do..." :lol:

And Disney and James Cameron got exactly what they intended as Avatar 2 has been trending all weekend in a positive manner on social media, with videos of cheering crowds and people saying they can't wait. Say what you want about the movie not having a vocal fanbase like Marvel or Star Wars have, but people still really want to see this movie.

And Disney and James Cameron got exactly what they intended as Avatar 2 has been trending all weekend in a positive manner on social media, with videos of cheering crowds and people saying they can't wait. Say what you want about the movie not having a vocal fanbase like Marvel or Star Wars have, but people still really want to see this movie.
Our algorithms must be completely different, as I literally haven’t seen a word of it on my social media.

Ok, I'm going to ask this once, and only once...how could Jake and Neytiri have kids when Jake is essentially piloting a flesh mech suit and is...ya know what, I'm going to just never mention this again