Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Our algorithms must be completely different, as I literally haven’t seen a word of it on my social media.
It's been trending in the US (and worldwide) all weekend according to twitter's trending sections, not just my algorithm it's also been all over Tik Tok (something I don't use to have formed algorithm). My sister who was 2 when the movie came out and has only seen it once and would certainly have a wildly different algorithm than me mentioned it was all over the platform.

Ok, I'm going to ask this once, and only once...how could Jake and Neytiri have kids when Jake is essentially piloting a flesh mech suit and is...ya know what, I'm going to just never mention this again
I think the more interesting implication is that the body he was transferred into is a fusion of Pandoran and human DNA, what percent human are their kids? It also implies a common ancestor of all life if DNA and Pandora "DNA" are compatible to be fused together ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think the more interesting implication is that the body he was transferred into is a fusion of Pandoran and human DNA, what percent human are their kids? It also implies a common ancestor of all life if DNA and Pandora "DNA" are compatible to be fused together :shrug:
Since it was grown its not a suit, but an actual body. But the cross/DNA is a good point. The again the mind transfer was done by a magic tree, so anything is possible :)

I think the more interesting implication is that the body he was transferred into is a fusion of Pandoran and human DNA, what percent human are their kids? It also implies a common ancestor of all life if DNA and Pandora "DNA" are compatible to be fused together :shrug:
Yeah, I was actually under the same type of impression that his human body had transferred permanently to the Avatar. If that's the case though, it does make him a bit of a hybrid Na'vi/Human. I believe they have a daughter that is a Na'vi, but a son that is Human, so that sort of fits along with the theory.

Yeah, I was actually under the same type of impression that his human body had transferred permanently to the Avatar. If that's the case though, it does make him a bit of a hybrid Na'vi/Human. I believe they have a daughter that is a Na'vi, but a son that is Human, so that sort of fits along with the theory.
From what I remember the bodies are actually Na'vi/Human-hybrids tailored for each individual person's genome. That's why Jake was selected, his twin died and they didn't want the body to go to waste.

Having a daughter that's Na'vi and a son that's human is interesting, I'm not sure that's how Punnett squares work lol

From what I remember the bodies are actually Na'vi/Human-hybrids tailored for each individual person's genome. That's why Jake was selected, his twin died and they didn't want the body to go to waste.

Having a daughter that's Na'vi and a son that's human is interesting, I'm not sure that's how Punnett squares work lol
I do remember that at the very beginning of the movie now that you mention it. It was kind of a big deal in the movie because this was his way to walk again.

And lol. We don't know the ultimate reasoning for it yet, but I guess it's possible one of the children is an adopted Na'Vi? Like they stumbled upon her and she was without her parents because they had been killed by the military or something?

EDIT:
One 10 second look at Wikipedia later.... Javier "Spider" Socorro, a teenager born on Hell's Gate (the human base on Pandora in the first film) but who was rescued and adopted by Jake and Neytiri and "prefers his time in the Pandoran rainforest".

I do remember that at the very beginning of the movie now that you mention it. It was kind of a big deal in the movie because this was his way to walk again.

And lol. We don't know the ultimate reasoning for it yet, but I guess it's possible one of the children is an adopted Na'Vi? Like they stumbled upon her and she was without her parents because they had been killed by the military or something?

EDIT:
One 10 second look at Wikipedia later.... Javier "Spider" Socorro, a teenager born on Hell's Gate (the human base on Pandora in the first film) but who was rescued and adopted by Jake and Neytiri and "prefers his time in the Pandoran rainforest".
Fair enough, I think I'd prefer to live in the Pandoran rainforest instead of Houston, it's about as humid and the air is just as toxic ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The way you can tell which is a Na'vi and which is an Avatar/Human hybrid is by the eyebrows. Native Na'vi don't have eyebrows.

I was looking through the trailer quickly and there's a few things I wanted to point out.

This is Jake and Neytiri's adoptive son and I assume that's their Na'vi daughter back there.Screenshot 2022-05-09 at 23-45-02 Avatar The Way of Water Official Teaser Trailer.png
I love the potential for this scene. It certainly looks like this is meant as a bit of a nod to Aliens. Looks like a plane crash into the oceans of Pandora so potentially this is pretty early on in the movie.
Screenshot 2022-05-09 at 23-41-39 Avatar The Way of Water Official Teaser Trailer.png
This seems to be Kate Winslet's character Ronal, who is described as a free diver. She's supposedly going to be a big character in the movies going forward. Winslet impressively learned to hold her breath for 7 minutes to film underwater for this role.
FSON00zXsAEo8UY

And I just think this is an awesome shot of Jake:
FSU7FLMWQAAzikv

I was looking through the trailer quickly and there's a few things I wanted to
This seems to be Kate Winslet's character Ronal, who is described as a free diver. She's supposedly going to be a big character in the movies going forward. Winslet impressively learned to hold her breath for 7 minutes to film underwater for this role.

I'd buy two

Navy SEALs can hold their breath underwater for two to three minutes or more. Breath-holding drills are typically used to condition a swimmer or diver and to build confidence when going through high-surf conditions at night, said Brandon Webb, a former Navy SEAL and best-selling author of the book “Among Heroes.”Dec 14, 2015

I'd buy two

Navy SEALs can hold their breath underwater for two to three minutes or more. Breath-holding drills are typically used to condition a swimmer or diver and to build confidence when going through high-surf conditions at night, said Brandon Webb, a former Navy SEAL and best-selling author of the book “Among Heroes.”Dec 14, 2015
Yeah, i'm slightly skeptical on exactly what she meant when she said that. She was free-diving though, which is slightly different than straight up breath holding as with breath holding you are focussing on being able to hold your breath. With Free-diving you are supposed to let yourself go and not think about it. The world record for longest free dive for women is 9 minutes and 11 minutes for men, so it is theoretically possible.

Here's what she said:
“I had to learn how to free-dive to play that role in Avatar, and that was just incredible. My longest breath hold was seven minutes and 14 seconds, like crazy, crazy stuff.”

"My first words were: 'Am I dead?' Yes, I thought I'd died!" said Winslet, before dishing on how exhilarating the experience was. "God, it's just wonderful. Your mind completely drifts off. You can't think about anything, you can't make lists in your head, you're just looking at the bubbles underneath you," she continued.

ElRSjD1XgAYDTlx.jpg

Winslet impressively learned to hold her breath for 7 minutes to film underwater for this role.

Wait wait wait….

You’re telling me that the actors had to hold their breaths for that long to film this movie? In a movie where their faces won’t even be in it? In a movie where they’re going to animate blue skin and alien features they couldn’t also bother to maybe edit out a little oxygen tank or snorkel?

:lol:

Wait wait wait….

You’re telling me that the actors had to hold their breaths for that long to film this movie? In a movie where their faces won’t even be in it? In a movie where they’re going to animate blue skin and alien features they couldn’t also bother to maybe edit out a little oxygen tank or snorkel?

:lol:
They couldn't have oxygen tanks or scuba gear because the air bubbles would have distorted the light bouncing off the tracker dots and entering the camera.

Yeah, i'm slightly skeptical on exactly what she meant when she said that. She was free-diving though, which is slightly different than straight up breath holding as with breath holding you are focussing on being able to hold your breath. With Free-diving you are supposed to let yourself go and not think about it. The world record for longest free dive for women is 9 minutes and 11 minutes for men, so it is theoretically possible.

Here's what she said:
“I had to learn how to free-dive to play that role in Avatar, and that was just incredible. My longest breath hold was seven minutes and 14 seconds, like crazy, crazy stuff.”

"My first words were: 'Am I dead?' Yes, I thought I'd died!" said Winslet, before dishing on how exhilarating the experience was. "God, it's just wonderful. Your mind completely drifts off. You can't think about anything, you can't make lists in your head, you're just looking at the bubbles underneath you," she continued.

ElRSjD1XgAYDTlx.jpg
If they were really free diving (depth) I could understand but I can't see the production insurance letting any names go deeper than a pool. Depth allows the air to compress in the lungs and expand on the way back up to give you enough to surface.
She probably meant diving without any air supply so seven minutes may have been a 2 that was mistranscribed or maybe it was "several" and it was misheard or she may have been doing a voice or on a bad line.

If they were really free diving (depth) I could understand but I can't see the production insurance letting any names go deeper than a pool. Depth allows the air to compress in the lungs and expand on the way back up to give you enough to surface.
She probably meant diving without any air supply so seven minutes may have been a 2 that was mistranscribed or maybe it was "several" and it was misheard or she may have been doing a voice or on a bad line.
First of all, as far as names go, Tom Cruise did the same thing for 6 minutes in MI: Rogue Nation.

And it's not like it's this stuff is being misquoted. It came from The Hollywood Reported in a sit down interview with her, not something random. James Cameron wanted to make the underwater sequences look as realistic as possible which is why they filmed it this way. Remember, this is a man who LOVES the ocean and has been to the ocean floor.

Q:After all those traumatic water scenes in "Titanic," were you reluctant about getting back in the water with James Cameron for "Avatar 2"?

Winslet: No, I couldn't wait actually. I'm a real water baby, I love scuba diving. But breath-holding is very different, so I knew I would have to learn a whole new thing and I just absolutely loved it. So much of the water work was done with Cirque du Soleil water performers, so I spent masses of time developing great friendships with these unbelievable superhuman artists with impossible bodies. And then there's me squeezing my sausage-y self into this freediving wetsuit. (Laughs.)

Last edited:
First of all, as far as names go, Tom Cruise did the same thing for 6 minutes in MI: Rogue Nation.

And it's not like it's this stuff is being misquoted. It came from The Hollywood Reported in a sit down interview with her, not something random. James Cameron wanted to make the underwater sequences look as realistic as possible which is why they filmed it this way. Remember, this is a man who LOVES the ocean and has been to the ocean floor.

Q:After all those traumatic water scenes in "Titanic," were you reluctant about getting back in the water with James Cameron for "Avatar 2"?

Winslet: No, I couldn't wait actually. I'm a real water baby, I love scuba diving. But breath-holding is very different, so I knew I would have to learn a whole new thing and I just absolutely loved it. So much of the water work was done with Cirque du Soleil water performers, so I spent masses of time developing great friendships with these unbelievable superhuman artists with impossible bodies. And then there's me squeezing my sausage-y self into this freediving wetsuit. (Laughs.)

I can't buy twice as long as a seal no matter what, maybe pre charged with pure O2 for 10 minutes but they said no?

I believe you, I just think James Cameron can be hilarious in his style of filmmaking. With that said…
They couldn't have oxygen tanks or scuba gear because the air bubbles would have distorted the light bouncing off the tracker dots and entering the camera.
…this actually does make sense. I wonder if just how impressive that is will be lost on general audiences, though (see my original post lol). 3-D was a cool novelty back in 2009 and it brought theme park fun to the movie theaters…I dont know how many people are pining for realistic underwater photography, though.

I think what people forget is that Avatar is a real passion project for James Cameron. It allows him to develop incredible new film technology that other filmmakers will eventually use, as well as a chance to advocate for ecology and conservation. He's also kinda the king of sequels, I trust that he has something really special in store for us.

…this actually does make sense. I wonder if just how impressive that is will be lost on general audiences, though (see my original post lol). 3-D was a cool novelty back in 2009 and it brought theme park fun to the movie theaters…I dont know how many people are pining for realistic underwater photography, though.
There's no way it can possibly be as impressive in an obvious way the way that the beauty of the CGI applied to the mocap actors back in the the original movies and then on top of that, literally putting 3D glasses on and seeing that world pop out at you.

Avatar was really the first and honestly one of the only modern movies made specifically to be seen in 3D and not just as a gimmick like a lot of those 90's and early 2000's movies. Some will call it a gimmick, but it was a feature of the movie. If we're talking about using 3D as a gimmick, it was all of the movies in the immediate aftermath of Avatar that didn't shoot their movies in 3D, but converted it to 3D because audiences were willing to go and see another 3D movie after seeing what Avatar did. A big example is movies that simply didn't need it and it added no value at all such as the Transformers movies in the early 2010's.

You can trust that James Cameron and Disney's marketing team are going to push 3D for this again though as it's probably the first movie in years to actually be shot in 3D. Also, the sequel has been delayed so long, it's almost at the point of coming out at the right time where it will have a bit of a nostalgia/curiostiy factor to it, too.