Avengers Campus (DCA) | Page 84 | Inside Universal Forums

Avengers Campus (DCA)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The foundational issue with Avengers Campus is that Mission Breakout went from idea to open in about nine months (therefore not master planned) and created a situation where, to build a proper land, you had to take over Bugs Land because Hyperion and the brand new Frozen show which replaced a very popular Aladdin show blocked going the other direction. It's also next door to one of WDI's best creations and the land that turned the park around. Sticking Guardians into ToT ended up working out better than most thought, but it led to a myriad of headaches that still haven't gone away.

Yeah, I think WDI also suffers from trying to be too ambitious for every single project, no matter the scale, when a simple flat ride is all we need and a smaller dark ride or two. There was no need for them to do a Mary Poppins C-Ticket with an E-ticket budget.
You're correct, but at the end of the day, project and portfolio leads are ambitious people wanting to get ahead - you don't get ahead by designing/delivering a basic flat with no convoluted backstory when others are adding the opposite to their personal portfolios. The project lead for Starcruiser was promoted immediately after it opened - I'm sure the individual is talented but successful career =/= successful projects.

Budget a problem? Imagineers have a history of huge bloated budgets for attractions/lands/etc. Money's not the problem. It's the way they spend it. Disney doesn't get much bang for it's buck. There must be a culture/bureaucratic problem. They've changed the top guys, but the same issues continue. And they do seem to have a certain arrogance.
Also correct, the solution is not that they aren't being given the money. WDI routinely ignores budgets to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars because the department's entire operating cost gets expensed/capitalized off to the various sites so it's never "their" problem. That said, there's a long list of things that aren't their fault when it comes to the inflated price tags that get thrown around on the internet (for example, buildings are built well past code and at least 20% of the "cost" of every project has nothing to do with the project itself), then there's a list of things that are kind of their fault (having to pay inflated LA salaries compared to FL due to cost of living and the competitiveness of art/design jobs out there), then there's the waste that could be cleaned up, which personally I think is less than people think but not insignificant.

The biggest issue they have right now is drawing fanciful concept art to sell a concept and then delivering the Wish (website, not cruise ship) version of it.

Hercules, I think would be the best pick after Aladdin again (I don't care if old, the show just worked and was very impressive)

Also, I'm not celebrating the end of Rogers. It's better then nothing and highly doubt with how slow Disney is with replacing shows that we see anything new until 2024.....so yeah. I would have rather them only have shows on weekends or make it work somehow because we are entering the busiest time of the year with No Fantasmic and No stage show at DCA

Tom over at Disney Tourist Blog seems to think the King Thanos E-Ticket is dead.

Lots of sobering predictions about Epcot timelines in there as well.

Last edited:
Tom over at Disney Tourist Blog seems to think the King Thanos E-Ticket is dead.

For now

I do want to point out that many YT have pointed out, many times attractions that die in some way come back many many times.

I'm pretty sure Disney has ZERO idea of what is after Splashes Retheme, they have idea's but it seems like they just don't know what the next project will be. Avatar seemed like the next big thing...but that's years away per Iger newest Statements

Disney Forward is also going to be voted on next year....so yeah. Disneyland/DCA futures just seem so up in the air.

Reactions: Jake S
I think the key in the piece, to your point, is that this iteration of the Avengers E-Ticket ride appears dead. but something will be built in that expansion pad ... eventually. I guess we'll see if it shares any DNA with what was previously announced.

I will say that while I think another E-Ticket in DCA would be welcome, the park is in good shape right now. between mission breakout, radiator springs racers and incredicoaster ... it's a pretty good lineup. we've certainly come a long way from the days when visiting DCA with an annual pass felt like an obligation or simply a place to grab a beer.

Lots of sobering predictions about Epcot timelines in there as well.
What an absolutely anemic lineup of “additions”.

I think the key in the piece, to your point, is that this iteration of the Avengers E-Ticket ride appears dead. but something will be built in that expansion pad ... eventually. I guess we'll see if it shares any DNA with what was previously announced.

I will say that while I think another E-Ticket in DCA would be welcome, the park is in good shape right now. between mission breakout, radiator springs racers and incredicoaster ... it's a pretty good lineup. we've certainly come a long way from the days when visiting DCA with an annual pass felt like an obligation or simply a place to grab a beer.
I really like DCA.

But I do not agree that lineup leaves them in “good shape”. The newest big ride built there is over a decade old at this point. Mission Breakout is good, but it’s just a reskin. The park needs new blood bad

Gotta go with @JungleSkip and disagree unfortunately, any time an attraction goes down at DCA, wait times spike everywhere. It's really just Incredicoaster, Guardians of the Galaxy, and Radiator Springs holding up the whole park, and whenever one goes down, everything else suffers disproportionately. I really believe the park needs some new capacity, which it really hasn't gotten since 2012. Arguably, it's lost capacity since then.

For now

I do want to point out that many YT have pointed out, many times attractions that die in some way come back many many times.

I'm pretty sure Disney has ZERO idea of what is after Splashes Retheme, they have idea's but it seems like they just don't know what the next project will be. Avatar seemed like the next big thing...but that's years away per Iger newest Statements

Disney Forward is also going to be voted on next year....so yeah. Disneyland/DCA futures just seem so up in the air.
Disneyland Forward is without a doubt the biggest key to Disneyland's future. I bet whatever Avatar experience coming to DLR hinges on DL Forward getting the green light. Maybe this could be what finally replaces Hollywoodland assuming they put it in DCA.

The concept for the Multiverse attraction sounded so interesting and forward thinking. At the very least even if whatever Avengers E ticket they decide on does not use anything like the Multiverse concept, I hope something like the Multiverse concept sees the light of day in another attraction.

Disneyland Forward is without a doubt the biggest key to Disneyland's future. I bet whatever Avatar experience coming to DLR hinges on DL Forward getting the green light. Maybe this could be what finally replaces Hollywoodland assuming they put it in DCA.
I'm personally not pinning any of my hopes on Disneyland Forward given the current state of parks construction. It's taking them half a year to theme a bridge in DCA.

After going recently

DCA is a good park, I love it but it needs more. Hollywood land is just wasting most of it's space.

Disney Forward would help it but still has a LOT of wasted space and there are a few places they could redo so much.

A few thing's I know will upset hardcore fans but I think Grizzly peak wastes a lot of space and taking away or rearranging the mountain would also allow us also to have more of a hub in the middle of the park

If I had the power
1) Avengers ride - with some scenes that can always be changed so we could have "newer" hero's have a moment to shine and promote shows/films.
2) Not a must, more of something for summer and other busy times but a Marvel Drone Show In Avengers Campus like in Paris
3) Use most of Hollywood land to put in Avatarland. Add a Restaurant, Flight of Passage, Maybe a 3D show or a Walking pathway version of the River Journey.
4) Redo Grizzley Peak/Rapids Ride, Make it a Mine Cart Coaster or just redo the area to be something else
5) Redo Luigi's ride and use the space of the office building behind it to make a new Autopia, So Tommorrowland can get ride of its.

(these next two are if they could and if it made sense)
6) Make a Flying "Up" Dark ride in the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail area
7) If Hollywood land is gone if there is a way to make space by taking away Goofy's Sky School/the corndog area or something on the Peir to reuse stuff from the Monsters Inc ride to make a new attraction.

Reactions: TheUniC6
After going recently

DCA is a good park, I love it but it needs more. Hollywood land is just wasting most of it's space.

Disney Forward would help it but still has a LOT of wasted space and there are a few places they could redo so much.

A few thing's I know will upset hardcore fans but I think Grizzly peak wastes a lot of space and taking away or rearranging the mountain would also allow us also to have more of a hub in the middle of the park

If I had the power
1) Avengers ride - with some scenes that can always be changed so we could have "newer" hero's have a moment to shine and promote shows/films.
2) Not a must, more of something for summer and other busy times but a Marvel Drone Show In Avengers Campus like in Paris
3) Use most of Hollywood land to put in Avatarland. Add a Restaurant, Flight of Passage, Maybe a 3D show or a Walking pathway version of the River Journey.
4) Redo Grizzley Peak/Rapids Ride, Make it a Mine Cart Coaster or just redo the area to be something else
5) Redo Luigi's ride and use the space of the office building behind it to make a new Autopia, So Tommorrowland can get ride of its.

(these next two are if they could and if it made sense)
6) Make a Flying "Up" Dark ride in the Redwood Creek Challenge Trail area
7) If Hollywood land is gone if there is a way to make space by taking away Goofy's Sky School/the corndog area or something on the Peir to reuse stuff from the Monsters Inc ride to make a new attraction.
Great plans. Though the space behind that office building is where any hypothetical Avengers E ticket would go. I also think that unless they change the name of DCA, Avatar just seems to be a better fit for Disneyland park proper. Maybe it can replace Autopia or some portion of Tomorrowland.