Barbie (July 21, 2023) | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Barbie (July 21, 2023)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
The fact they got Mattel approving not only them being villains, but the fact they gave approval to a new iteration of Barbie Girl with AQUA promiment makes me genuinely happy.

Reactions: GA-MBIT
Tickets STILL not on sale, supposedly because Oppenheimer has all the premium screens for that weekend and WB is fighting to get some Premium screens.

Reactions: PerceptiveCoot
Tickets STILL not on sale, supposedly because Oppenheimer has all the premium screens for that weekend and WB is fighting to get some Premium screens.

I almost wonder if they might be willing to settle to pull and delay the film by two weeks, just to see what they can do in opening up more premium screens.

Tom Cruise probably won't move, neither will Oppenheimer, Barbie might have promotional tie-ins that depend on the release date?

This movie just feels like a 2 hr long Andy Samberg skit.

I don’t know if it’s going to bomb or break box office records.

It’ll definitely be a cult classic. It looks like it could be a great one like little shop of horrors that got accolades and made money. But then again it also looks like it could suck if they have too much camp.

Barbie is a film that feels so genuine in just having fun. It's obvious Greta Gerwig wanted to make something fun, making it a standout unique experience. From the performances to the set design, the minor details, even within the costume design, are sprinkled with humor and thoughtful meaning in the film. It’s truly epic.

Oh, and the "Just Ken" scene is hilarious, and amazing.

I loved it (like everyone else)!

But any movie that references The Shining is just incredible, let alone a movie that is being sold to the general public.

emoji-beer.gif

I’m the only person in the world who thought it was fine

I just didn’t think it was as funny as I thought it would be.
I like most the actors in this but just not a film I feel like I need to see again

That being said my theaters was packed with people in pink and it got people to the theaters. So hope people saw a trailer of to that interest them and the summer ends strongly

What trailers were before everyone’s showings this weekend? They matter more than ever this weekend in terms of future box office. I missed mine, unfortunately. Only saw Blue Beetle before Transformers.

This is fun! I cannot remember the last time I laughed this much as a movie. While not as good as Greta's last two, it continues to establish her as a distinct voice in cinema. Gosling is the MVP by far. I did this as the first part of my Barbenheimer double, and tbh I somewhat wish I did them on separate days just because Oppenheimer dominates your headspace after watching it.

What trailers were before everyone’s showings this weekend? They matter more than ever this weekend in terms of future box office. I missed mine, unfortunately. Only saw Blue Beetle before Transformers.
I got:

Migration
Challengers (rip the new release date)
Gran Turismo
Haunted Mansion
My Big Fat Greek Wedding 3
Ninja Turtles
The Color Purple
Blue Beetle

Last edited:
Successful Barbenheimer weekend in the books…while I don’t think I want to spend that much of my weekend in a movie theater again for a while, it was fun to get caught up in the hype of everything.

As for Barbie, it’s an overall very fun, solid movie. I was surprised to find it was more focused thematically than Oppenheimer and though it never reached the highs of Oppenheimer, it’s so consistently fun and breezy that there weren’t really any lows either. I do think everything was a little heavy-handed and could’ve been handled with more finesse and respect for the audience, but I’m guessing those were WB notes.

I do wonder who the target audience was for this. I found myself actually really gripped by the more reflective and serious scenes, but they seemed out of place next to the movie’s sense of humor…really goofy, irreverent, referential humor. It almost had the tone of a Scary Movie for a lot of it, which on one hand made it more entertaining but also sort of undercut the tone some scenes needed to be effective. I also don’t necessarily see the movie aging too well because of this. There’s a goofy, teen-oriented, meta-humor movie here that kept getting in the way of a more adult-oriented dramedy that (in an ideal world) would’ve gone into more detail about the patriarchy takeover and would have built up the human world’s characters more. I’m not sure which movie I would’ve preferred, but it didn’t quite stick the landing for either.

But at the end of the day, I laughed when there were jokes and I felt empathy when I was supposed to—I even learned something. Overall can’t ask for much more than that.