Barbie (July 21, 2023) | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Barbie (July 21, 2023)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I do wonder who the target audience was for this.
But at the end of the day, I laughed when there were jokes and I felt empathy when I was supposed to—I even learned something. Overall can’t ask for much more than that.
Sounds like you were the target audience. When a movie is simply good and/or fun (this is both), the target audience is pretty broad.

I would think 15-50 year old women and 22-45 year old men, if I had to pin it down? The "ideal" demo everyone wants.
And 4-8 year olds just for Barbie.

Sounds like you were the target audience. When a movie is simply good and/or fun (this is both), the target audience is pretty broad.

I would think 15-50 year old women and 22-45 year old men, if I had to pin it down? The "ideal" demo everyone wants.
And 4-8 year olds just for Barbie.
True! I mean, obviously, there is objectively an audience for this movie and the numbers don’t lie. The final product does work. I’d just love to see a behind-the-scenes of the script development to know whether the goofy Brady Bunch Movie/Scary Movie type humor was first or after, because it seems to serve a different base than the heavier thematic portions. If the movie had leaned fully into the wacky humor, or gone all in on the details of what Ken was doing/the motivations of the real world characters, we’d have had two completely different movies. It’s an interesting dichotomy, at least how I see it.

I also wonder how the Mattel Cinematic Universe is going to look like

Are the movies going to connect? Or just that they are making films of their toys

Also unless this movie just bombs from this point on, I'd wager we get a sequel. No idea if all the characters will return but I doubt the higher up's ignore how well the film did and make a sequel one way or another

Reactions: TheCodeMan95
I would not be surprised if it beats Mario, I dont think it will butttttt like I said would not be supervised if it does either

The movie has lots of good buzz and the music from the film is getting huge numbers.

If the strike is over by the Oscars then I think it will have some good numbers if they can get Peaches and Ken sung live by the actors

With how this movie is performing, I think this movie has a real shot of not only passing Mario (I kinda think that’s almost guaranteed), but I think $700M domestic is very much in play if it continues to hold this well and performs to such high demand.

Many haven’t even been able to see it yet due to showings being sold out the first two weekends. The biggest barrier for Barbie is kids returning to school. The theatrical hype around this movie is very similar to something like Endgame, NWH, either Avatar, Black Panther, or The Force Awakens where people are seeing it and then going back for a second and third time to experience it again with others.

I think this is also a case of word of mouth giving Barbie "legs" as they say in the business. Plus, the back to school may actually help since it's not a kids movie. Moms can go see it when their kids are in school.

I also know many people seeing Barbie a second time because they enjoyed it and feel like they missed some of the jokes the first viewing.

I think this is also a case of word of mouth giving Barbie "legs" as they say in the business. Plus, the back to school may actually help since it's not a kids movie. Moms can go see it when their kids are in school.

I also know many people seeing Barbie a second time because they enjoyed it and feel like they missed some of the jokes the first viewing.
Sort of proof of this is… me. I kinda thought this movie seemed potentially gimmicky up until the last trailer that I saw before Indy 5. That started to pique my interest.

I’m normally someone who goes to a bigger movie opening weekend if im interested. While I was “interested”, I wasn’t all the way in yet. So I waited. And waited. It took until today for me to be able to find time and finally convince my friends to go. My friends are guys who didn’t think a Barbie movie was worth it or would appeal to them until they heard word of mouth from people around them.

We saw it last week, and we're planning on going back this week to see it a second time. There are so many great moments that we feel like we missed because we were laughing the first viewing.

Just got back from seeing it. Had high expectations going in based on the hype and somehow the movie still surpassed them.

This movie is going to at the very least get nominated for so many awards in so many different categories. Best Costume design, production design, Makeup and Hairstyling, and original song all feel like fairly safe locks at least right now.

Some larger awards like Greta Gerwig getting nominated for Best Director, Margot Robbie for Best Actress, Ryan Gosling for Best Actor, and Best Adapted Screenplay are all attainable as well depending on how the year plays out, especially if the strike has a big effect on awards films that are largely driven by stars promoting the movies.

My wife has seen it 3 times now. The last two times with groups of other moms all going and dressed in pink and heels, etc.

It’s like Gentleminions. But instead of obnoxious teen boys it’s suburban moms. :lmao:

Reactions: kristenabelle