Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Black Widow

Am I..... am I too early to speculate this could cost Chapek his job? Emma Stone seems to be following suit, Emily Blunt and Dwayne Johnson have a film that is just being released..... they’re going up against giants in the industry. What is their strategy here with a response like that?

If Premiere Access is his project and it results in their top end talent all suing, shareholders will get pissed.

They renegiogated the Rock's from my understanding to include streaming...whereas they did not Emily Blunt....

They renegiogated the Rock's from my understanding to include streaming...whereas they did not Emily Blunt....
If this is true it’s going to look very bad and sexist on Disney, but like… where are you hearing this from? We can’t just throw random stuff out there in a situation such as this, especially if it’s not supported by a major trade.

If this is true it’s going to look very bad and sexist on Disney, but like… where are you hearing this from? We can’t just throw random stuff out there in a situation such as this, especially if it’s not supported by a major trade.

That was the studio gossip that came out yesterday...

However there is a major difference. Blunt is not a producer on JC, The Rock is....Scarlet was a producer and should've been included in talks. But things are spiraling anyways

Former THR Editor Matt Belloni took to his exclusive newsletter What I'm Hearing... to report that the Cruella star is currently considering a lawsuit of her own. "Emma Stone, star of Cruella, is said to be weighing her options," he wrote. Belloni also posed Emily Blunt's name as a talent that could speak out after Jungle Cruise opens this weekend. He called Disney "notoriously difficult to deal with" in these circumstances, adding that fellow creatives have been waiting in the wings for someone in the spotlight to speak out

If Disney truly didn't re-negotiate all these "theatrical-only" clauses with their top talent (as WB was very publicly forced to do early this year), that's kind of staggering malpractice on their part.

However there is a major difference. Blunt is not a producer on JC, The Rock is....Scarlet was a producer and should've been included in talks. But things are spiraling anyways

So The Rock was a producer, got paid and re-negotiated.

Scarlett Johansson was a producer, they ignored her offer to re-negotiate.

Emma Stone and Emily Blunt are currently pursuing suing Disney for not re-negotiating their contracts.

Yikes, the blatant sexism is disturbing. Fire Chapek, honestly. PA is his thing.

Nothing in that article even mentions Dwayne Johnson’s name. I’m not going to dismiss the possibility, but until I actually see an article from one of the trades, I’m not going to make assumptions.

Like I said, ain't no one gonna feel sorry for the big entertainment conglomerate. Disney's PR statement was incredibly ridiculous and tbh, only made things 10x worse for them.
----------
One thing people aren't even talking to when it pertains to Black Widow is that this film was originally supposed to have a 90 day exclusive theatrical run. That got changed to 45 days. Then, when disney announced when the movie would be on Premier Access and then when it would be available on Blu-Ray and to buy on-demand, it's now only a 33-day NON-EXCLUSIVE window. The only thing that's at the 45 day mark is when it will hit Disney+ as an included movie.

Now to be fair, 33-days is probably about all you need nowadays for exclusive theatrical as most of the money is made upfront anyway, but once people start to realize that the movies are in theaters for such a short period of time, it'll just mean less and less people going out to the theaters because the movies will be available at home so quickly afterwards. This will certainly make an impact on movie going habits, especially with movies people are on the fence about seeing anyway.

Last edited:
Love this, and I hope others support. Hopefully Stone and Blunt follow through. So far, this seems extremely gender specific.

Times ticking Chapek, this is a potential PR nightmare. With no billion dollar box office revenue coming within the next year or two, at least I’d say, and him pissing off top talent, all for PA, than man PA better be a runaway hit for the company or else I don’t see how someone does not take the fall for this when all is said and done.

Love this, and I hope others support. Hopefully Stone and Blunt follow through. So far, this seems extremely gender specific.

Times ticking Chapek, this is a potential PR nightmare. With no billion dollar box office revenue coming within the next year or two, at least I’d say, and him pissing off top talent, all for PA, than man PA better be a runaway hit for the company or else I don’t see how someone does not take the fall for this when all is said and done.
I think calling the comments Disney made "gender specific" might be a bit far reaching. I guess maybe they might be though. Disney would never say to Dwayne Johnson "you got $20M and there's room for more" and then pull the COVID card. They basically told her she was being greedy in the face of COVID when COVID has nothing to do with the contract. Disney broke the contract, plain and simple.

I think calling the comments Disney made "gender specific" might be a bit far reaching. I guess maybe they might be though. Disney would never say to Dwayne Johnson "you got $20M and there's room for more" and then pull the COVID card. They basically told her she was being greedy in the face of COVID when COVID has nothing to do with the contract. Disney broke the contract, plain and simple.
Yeah I find it definitely gender specific, but I think that is a way deeper conversation than this thread needs to get into. But would Disney call the Rock “callous” and “heinous”? Maybe, but I don’t trust that industry to be politically correct.

Regardless, their response is utterly absurd. Idk how anyone at all approved of it.

EDIT: “Heinous” was not used, my apology.

Yeah I find it definitely gender specific, but I think that is a way deeper conversation than this thread needs to get into. But would Disney call the Rock “callous” and “heinous”? Maybe, but I don’t trust that industry to be politically correct.

Regardless, their response is utterly absurd. Idk how anyone at all approved of it.

EDIT: “Heinous” was not used, my apology.
I think the fact that that statement was approved says a lot about Chapek's Disney.

I think the fact that that statement was approved says a lot about Chapek's Disney.
My point exactly, I’ll be interested to see where it goes, but I could see a serious reputation hit if this is now the next year is going to look for them.

I wonder with Feige's previous comments on not wanting to put Black Widow onto Premier Access in the past, alongside the lawsuit against Disney by Scarlett causes Feigue to threaten of walking. If Chapek is making lines in the sand, eventually it's going to have to come to Kevin's way.

Huh? I’m having a tough time understanding what your point is.
I was answering the question immediately before my post - “And who runs these pr departments?”

I guess option B of the point I was making - dictated by new Bob - is what must have happened.

I’m not sure why they’d be shocked/mortified/etc. internally over Bob being clumsy with things like this. It’s not like he aced his media appearances or had a great grasp of the parks. And navigating the movie/entertainment industry seems way more complex than running the parks.

You know, with Discovery about to own Warner, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the CEO over there, whenever that becomes official, contacts Feige and offers him pretty much the same role he has with Disney for Marvel, but with running DC, and the CEO over there is known for his non-interference and supposedly almost everyone who works for him loves him.

Disney is treading some dangerous waters, imo.

You know, with Discovery about to own Warner, it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the CEO over there, whenever that becomes official, contacts Feige and offers him pretty much the same role he has with Disney for Marvel, but with running DC, and the CEO over there is known for his non-interference and supposedly almost everyone who works for him loves him.

Disney is treading some dangerous waters, imo.

This was something I saw get brought up last week. I am willing to bet he has at least received a call from the soon-to-be CEO over at Warner just letting him know these kinds of issues won't happen over there haha.

I wonder what the conversations around Iger have been like lately.