Blizzard Beach & Typhoon Lagoon | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

Blizzard Beach & Typhoon Lagoon

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Blizzard Beach is the only place that sells mini donuts on Disney property so they better have a plan to move those to Typhoon at the very least if that actually happens :lol:

Honestly though, I can see why they want to consolidate as i'm not sure WDW needs two water parks, especially if they expand Typhoon, but it'd be a real shame to see Blizzard close.

Blizzard Beach is the only place that sells mini donuts on Disney property so they better have a plan to move those to Typhoon at the very least if that actually happens :lol:

Honestly though, I can see why they want to consolidate as i'm not sure WDW needs two water parks, especially if they expand Typhoon, but it'd be a real shame to see Blizzard close.

Well, at least VB will without a doubt be Orlando's best waterpark if that happens.

Second-hand scuttlebutt says the refurb of Typhoon Lagoon and its crumbling mountain has turned into an expansion, designed to make it the single water park at WDW. Theory goes they'll limp Blizzard along until that is ready (probably at least another Summer), then eventually close it. If at all true, I wouldn't count on an expansion any time soon.
I know this is off topic but does this mean they are working on a major refurbishment for Typhoon Lagoon ?

The back half of Mount Mayday collapsed. The park has been drained for months. So yes, a major refurbishment. Whether to put it back roughly the same or in a new, larger form is the big question.
That’s the funny thing about this rumor is that Typhoon is actually the older water park so you think they would rather close it. In my opinion neither park should cease to exist. Both need some major updates and expansions. I’m not saying that would solve the their problems however it will help keep them around longer.

Reactions: SeventyOne
That’s the funny thing about this rumor is that Typhoon is actually the older water park so you think they would rather close it. In my opinion neither park should cease to exist. Both need some major updates and expansions. I’m not saying that would solve the their problems however it will help keep them around longer.
It’s the more popular one though. Blizzard is way out of the way from most things.

It’s the more popular one though. Blizzard is way out of the way from most things.

Especially since water parks are much more of a pain to get to, it makes sense that most guests would pick the one right by Disney Springs. I also wonder if all the white in BB turns people off.

BB's unique theme complete with the ski lift and the varied slide lineup make it such a great water park, so I will obviously be very sad to see it go (along with Winter Summerland, I presume).

This is not accurate - it was a mudslide of sorts that never impacted the structural integrity of the hill at all.

The fact that there was a mudslide shows structural problems with the hill. It's a dirt hill, so no underlying rock layer is supporting it. It mostly relies on the vegetation, which failed.

Anyways, they can fix the problem in either situation.

Is it more iconic? I've always considered Typhoon Lagoon the more significant of the too. It's got the biggest wave pool and only one to ever get an addition.
I've always seen Blizzard Beach in videos and books, and Summit Plummit is probably the worlds most iconic water slide. I don't really hear about Typhoon Lagoon all too much.

They're not gonna close Blizzard Beach, it's the more iconic of the two Disney water parks. If anything, Typhoon Lagoon closes for good.
Like seriously I can’t take that rumor seriously as doesn’t make a lick of sense. You would be loosing some capacity in a sense unless they are making a giant multi million dollar investment in TL to truly make it a mega water park.

Reactions: randompixel
Like seriously I can’t take that rumor seriously as doesn’t make a lick of sense. You would be loosing some capacity in a sense unless they are making a giant multi million dollar investment in TL to truly make it a mega water park.
Totally this. On a summer day in August they'd both reach capacity; heck when there were three open water parks they could all reach capacity. The amount of infrastructure support TL would require to soak that up would be astonishing.

They're not gonna close Blizzard Beach, it's the more iconic of the two Disney water parks. If anything, Typhoon Lagoon closes for good.

Even in their 2019 forms, TL had more capacity, was more popular, and remains the only one of the two with lights for nighttime operation.Also more visible across the street from Springs.

Look, I consider BB the best overall water park in Orlando but TL the more iconic of the pair.

Totally this. On a summer day in August they'd both reach capacity; heck when there were three open water parks they could all reach capacity. The amount of infrastructure support TL would require to soak that up would be astonishing.

It's been a while since this happened. I'd point out this past Summer, when VB and Aquatica were hitting capacity, not sure solo BB ever did. Mouse had to notice this.

Are we going to ignore the money Disney put into BB when it was closed during COVID shutdown to literally fully rip out and replace slides though? Like, I get that it probably was extremely needed, but they would've never done it if they planned to close the park only a few years later.

Are we going to ignore the money Disney put into BB when it was closed to literally fully rip out and replace slides though? Like, I get that it probably was extremely needed, but they would've never done it if they planned to close the park only a few years later.

Obviously not the same scale but I'll always remind everyone Rock n Roll Beach Club put up brand-new, sparkly signage throughout the club ... 3 weeks before its closing was announced. Different departments don't always communicate.

Guessing: Perhaps the plan is to have one single waterpark, namely Typhoon, larger in size, that would have a more profitable operating cost due to having all operations
in one location. And, as is Disney's present M.O, 'greatly increase' the ticket price. Less attendance than two parks, but more profit. Sounds like a Chapek Disney plan to me.

Reactions: frank_1991_