Busch Gardens Williamsburg Project 2011 and 2012 | Page 2 | Inside Universal Forums

Busch Gardens Williamsburg Project 2011 and 2012

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Here's a little more info from BGEscape:

There are also no specs on the video but from the info I gathered the drop ride will be 246-ft tall and will rotate upward and seat 30 riders at once. They also mentioned "special surprises" at the top of the tower (whatever the hell that may be)!

For Oktoberfest they confirmed a Pretzel Market and Beer Garden in the space between Katapult and Wirbelwind. Katapult will be taking up new residence in the Canadian Palladium theatre (funny how it's been located in 4 different countries).

2012 will have a MAJOR addition as they confirmed a multi-launch, electromagnetic coaster thats suppose to be unique and one thats never been seen before and may have dark ride elements and possibly pay homage to BBW in some way.

Christmastown - Italy will be open this year and have 1 million lights.

http://www.bgescape.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2358&pid=37683&st=0&#entry37683

Just found out more info:

http://www.buschgardensvablog.com/coming-soon-drop-tower-new-water-slide-and-coaster

Today is a big day for the Williamsburg theme parks.

I’m happy to tell everyone about our two-year plan that includes five major changes between Busch Gardens and Water Country USA. This plan is the largest investment in our history, and it offers something for everyone in the family.

Many of you have asked about this, and I’m happy to tell you we’re expanding Christmas Town: A Busch Gardens Celebration. Beginning Nov. 26, guests will experience the flair of an Italian Christmas, featuring a golden color scheme and graceful angels as far as the eye can see. Our Italy village will leave guests with a feeling of peace on earth as the park completes the transformation into a Christmas wonderland. And the expanded Christmas Town has an expanded schedule, staying open every day after Christmas until New Year’s Eve.

Then in 2011, Busch Gardens and Water Country USA are taking their attractions to new heights. As you enter Oktoberfest next spring, you’ll see the massive spire known as Mäch Tower™. The tallest ride in the park, Mäch Tower will take you 246 feet above Oktoberfest. After rotating at the top of the tower and getting a few seconds to take in the view, riders drop at breath-taking speed. State-of-the-art special effects including enhanced audio and other surprises will elevate Mäch Tower to new heights in ride design and engineering. This psychological thrill ride opens in the spring.

After more than 30 years, the park is updating the look and atmosphere of Oktoberfest. Restaurants, games and everything in between will be rejuvenated. You can enjoy fresh-baked pretzels and a new beer garden set amid canopies of colored maypoles and festive banners that depict the rich heritage of Bavaria.

At Water Country USA, guests are in for the slide of their lives at our epic new drop slide, Vanish Point™. The crest of this 75-foot tower challenges guests with two wave paths. They can step into a skybox and take a plunge when the floor drops out beneath their feet, or you can brave a 300-foot speed slide that drops you straight down as soon as you enter. Either way, it’s pure liquid adrenaline.

And now I want to tell you what we’re planning for 2012. For more than a year, coaster fans have been speculating as to what would replace The Big Bad Wolf. I’m excited to tell you that we are planning for a new, state-of-the-art multi-launch roller coaster that will propel riders at high-speeds through twists, turns and even more surprises. That’s all I can tell you now, except that it will feature many “firsts” when it debuts in the spring of 2012.

We couldn’t be more excited about what’s planned for the next two years, and we hope you are too. To keep track of our progress, you can always follow us on this blog, Facebook and Twitter.

And as for the 2012 coaster, from Screamscape:

2012 - New Coaster - Rumor - (9/20/10) While not many details were given, Busch Gardens did confirm that a new “multi-launching, high speed, electromagnetic roller coaster” would replace the former Big Bad Wolf coaster in 2012. Other sources have told us that the Big Bad Wolf’s incredible hillside landscape would be put to good use for this new ride as well, and while many are assuming it will be Intamin like Cheetaka in Florida… this ride could end up being a big surprise project from B&M. Could B&M be ready to move into the realm of Lauched coasters? The Magic 8-Ball has predicted that this technology was in the works for some time now. So B&M or Intamin? We’ll have to wait and see.

EDIT: Since we're pretty much discussing the 2012 coaster here, can one of the mods merge this thread with this one?

Last edited:
Interesting report from Screamscape:

2012 - New Multi-Launch Coaster - (12/1/10) Screamscape sources are sorting through the news articles and permit applications BGW has submitted for the big 2012 coaster project. The new permits call for a new large 26,000 sqft ‘event building’ that will be 80 feet “above the existing grade” along with a themed bridge 95 feet above the grade. The new ride will make use of the former Big Bad Wolf station building as well. The former BBW ravine area will be “flattened” and a balloon test will be held on Dec 8th to show off how the new building and bridge will look from outside the park limits. With a building this big, it seems almost a given that the ride will feature some kind of indoor segment, which would be a nice addition if done well.

Another Screamscape report:

2012 - New Multi-Launch Coaster - (1/5/11) Busch Gardens Williamsburg sent out a survey earlier today that asks a question about their big 2012 coaster plans. The survey first gives a brief theme description of the coaster: “See if you can brave the Black Forest on Busch Garden’s all-new roller coaster in the Germany area. What starts as a nice ride through the countryside quickly launches into a lightning-fast, multi-sensory dash through crazy turns, hidden hazards and heart-pounding drops. Inspired by the famed autobahn, the ride combines fast launches, special effects and indoor and outdoor elements to makei t a one-of-a-kind coaster experience.”
They then ask for the guests to vote on the following four names: Revenge of the Black Forest, Uber Bahn, Black Forest Turbo or Verbolten. Maybe it’s me, but other than Verbolten, the other names just leave me cold. Maybe Uber Bahn would work too, but it sounds more like the next album from Rammstein. Hmmm… I think I stumbled onto something. Wouldn’t Rammstein make a great coaster name too?

2011_0104_2012coasterSurvey.jpg

Sounds like a great concept, I quite like the idea of it being peaceful then BAM! major acceleration :lol: but the names are rubbish...
Revenge of the Black Forest, but based on the autobahn? :shrug:

Sounds like the person who was naming these rides all these years was laid off during the company sell out :lol:. What ever he or she was making was WORTH IT!

I wonder if there will be a free fall element like 13 at Alton Towers as well? Whatever the case may be though its starting to sound like another winner and BGW doing what they do best, copying Mark Rose and co and then "plussing it."

^ If they added the free fall and called it "Revenge of the Black Forest" it would nearly the same ride concept as 13, but speedy :lol: Probably a far better ride though...
Saying that, I'd love to see that element put in a big coaster like this. I can't wait to hear more about this :thumbs:

Yet again, BGW gets the better version of what was built in Tampa.

Eh, none of those names really inspire me.
Actually, guessing from the description, Cheetah Hunt sounds better to me :shrug:

I also don't think much of the names, but for what's seen here, I'd have to go with Verbolten.

How can I keep trusting a theme park company that can't even be creative enough to name their own attractions? I will be shocked if this attraction delivers.

Same people who sold out Corkscrew Hill for Europe in the Air.

From Screamscape:

2012 - New Multi-Launch Coaster - (1/6/11) A meeting about the new coaster took place with the local planning commission. From what I’ve been told, the park confirmed that the coaster would reuse the old Big Bad Wolf station building, and the first of several launches would be inside the ‘event building’. The coaster itself was described as following a similar pattern as Big Bad Wolf towards the end. The large themed bridge part of the project will also go in near the old BBW brake run. The meeting took place on January 5th and I’m told we can expect to see a video of the meeting posted here in the near future.

First off I'd like to say BGE deserves a bigger better ride than BGT... Why? They really dont have the same amount of attractions as BGT. They need bigger better rides... Not to mention the local competition just opened up the largest, tallest, fastest coaster on the east coast and have been on advertising rampage...

Im a season passholder at BGE and really only the coasters there interest me... BGE is voted best park of this and best park of that, when they really have a relatively small amount of high class thrill rides( the 4 coasters, darkcastle and pompeii the latter 2 being very cheap and horrible compared to other rides of their same caliber... and if you want to count the sesame street 4D film and EiTA, be my guest, but still you get the point.) and just a few carnival rides thrown about the park (I think there's 6, if even?)

Anyways. BGE needs something big. You forget that they took away the Big Bad Wolf from us, and that ride meant alot to many of the locals and many people all across the country believe it or not. It was the "right of passage" for local kids for many years. They need to pull something spectacular out of their asses to make up the loss and possibly one up Intimidator 305 at the same time...

I don't think BGW can one up I-305 in many peoples eyes. I for one hope they do because I plan on being there when it opens and hitting up I-305 in the same trip. 2012 is going to be a BIG YEAR.

Here's an interesting story, http://www.dailypress.com/news/williamsburg/dp-nws-james-city-planning-0106-20110105,0,4311416.story
JAMES CITY — Busch Gardens is one step closer to seeing its newest attraction take flight.

The James City County Planning Commission OK'd a special use permit Wednesday that sought a height waiver and a special-use permit for the ride replacing the Big Bad Wolf roller coaster, which closed in 2009 after 25 years.

Among the concerns commissioners and residents had were with the height of the ride and the sound it would add.

According to the application, the ride in the Germany section will have a 26,000 square foot building that will extend about 80 feet above the existing grade, and a themed bridge extending 95 feet above the grade. Busch Gardens officials plan to use the Big Bad Wolf station building in the new ride.

The 36-year-old theme park must get a waiver each time it builds something that exceeds its M-1 zoning corridor height limit of 60 feet. The park currently has at least five rides that exceed that height restriction, including the Loch Ness Monster, Alpengeist, Apollo's Chariot and the Griffon roller coasters, in addition to the Sky Ride that connects the park's England, France and Germany sections.

In regards to sound, county officials said they were satisfied with studies made about any additional noise.

The nearest home is 1,700 feet away from the new ride, said county planner Leanne Reidenbach.

Park officials said the maximum decibel level for the ride would be 52.

"We are very concerned about the noise," said nearby Kingsmill resident Neil DeLorenzo.

Park officials said they had meetings with nearby residents in order to alleviate their concerns.

"The ride stays in the building for quite a while," said Larry Giles, Busch Gardens' vice president for engineering and maintenance. "It should be quieter than the Big Bad Wolf ever was."

In September, Busch Gardens announced plans for a 246-foot tower ride for the James City County theme park. It is planned to be the tallest ride in the park, edging out Griffon by 41 feet. As riders ascend the tower at six feet per second, 30 seats rotate in a full circle around a central column every 15 seconds, giving each rider a panoramic view of the James River and a swath of eastern Virginia.

Copyright © 2011, Newport News, Va., Daily Press

Mentions that quite a bit of the ride is indoors ,honestly more reason for me to expect less from this ride... which is good seeing BGT will finally get the better coaster. At least in my opinion, others may prefer a part dark coaster.

I dunno. Cheetah hunt looks rather lackluster to me. Hardly any variation in it's layout... Might be fun, but looks like an italian job stunt track style coaster, but longer...