Busch Gardens Williamsburg Project 2011 and 2012 | Page 3 | Inside Universal Forums

Busch Gardens Williamsburg Project 2011 and 2012

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
From Screamscape:

2012 - New Multi-Launch Coaster - (1/18/11) With the unknown Mack launched coaster project now confirmed for SeaWorld California, it now looks like Intamin is likely to be in the drivers seat for the next big coaster in Williamsburg as well.

EDIT: Another update:

2013 - Oktoberfest Revamp: Phase 3 - Rumor - (1/18/11) So far many of the old redevelopment rumors concerning a multi-phase build up / renovation have been coming true, though instead of building a new “country” they seem focused on rebuilding the park’s existing Oktoberfest section. We’ll see the first phase open in 2011 with Mach Tower, followed by the new coaster in 2012. It seems there is a third phase set for 2013 and according to the latest rumors it may be focused on revamping the Festhaus. I’ve no idea if anything other than the Festhaus will be touched upon for the 2013 season yet, or if they are ready to finally expand back into the former Drachen Fire location or not. Stay tuned!

Last edited:
From Screamscape:

2012 - New Multi-Launch Coaster - (3/3/11) Lots of crazy rumors are coming out of the woodwork about the new 2012 coaster at BGW may start out. From what I get from the buzz over at BGWFans (scroll down), they believe that the coaster train will move from the station into a bizarre tilt-track section, which sounds like what that 90-something foot tall themed “bridge” they got permission to build could be for.
This tilting bridge track may then swivel to put the coaster train into a vertical NASA style launch position. Here I have some doubts that they can launch the train skyward from this position, as the combination of required thrust and crushing G-forces may simply make this unrealistic. In any case, the train is said to rise from there to an unknown height before continuing on with the rest of the wild journey, which could include those extra “launch” moments along the way. Anyone else know more about what is planned?

From bgeguy at ThemeParkReview:

Busch Gardens has filed for a standard character trademark for Verbolten!

ImageAgentProxy

you shall eat those words sir
LOL
I agree.

--- Update ---

First off I'd like to say BGE deserves a bigger better ride than BGT... Why? They really dont have the same amount of attractions as BGT. They need bigger better rides... Not to mention the local competition just opened up the largest, tallest, fastest coaster on the east coast and have been on advertising rampage...

Im a season passholder at BGE and really only the coasters there interest me... BGE is voted best park of this and best park of that, when they really have a relatively small amount of high class thrill rides( the 4 coasters, darkcastle and pompeii the latter 2 being very cheap and horrible compared to other rides of their same caliber... and if you want to count the sesame street 4D film and EiTA, be my guest, but still you get the point.) and just a few carnival rides thrown about the park (I think there's 6, if even?)

Anyways. BGE needs something big. You forget that they took away the Big Bad Wolf from us, and that ride meant alot to many of the locals and many people all across the country believe it or not. It was the "right of passage" for local kids for many years. They need to pull something spectacular out of their asses to make up the loss and possibly one up Intimidator 305 at the same time...

I would like to disagree and say BGT deserves the bigger version, as we have only four coasters (five when CH opens)and three generic water rides and we are in direct competition with Disney and Universal so we need the "bigger badder" version.
We are also open 365 a year, more chances for people to enjoy the ride.

Sorry just having fun, since I haven't made it up there yet to see BGW. :smiley:

New video from Amusement Wire:

[video=youtube;wnAFm82EGo0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnAFm82EGo0[/video]

At the end of the video, it looks like construction has begun for the 2012 coaster. You can also see some of the changes in Oktoberfest.

Last edited:
From Screamscape:

2012 - New Multi-Launch Coaster - (5/5/11) BGWFans has posted new details from the latest city board meeting where the exterior layout of the 2012 coaster project was put on display. It also seems that some of the ride may follow portions of the old Big Bad Wolf layout, though what we can expect to happen within the ‘Event Building’ is still a mystery. It was interesting when they pointed out that where possible, old footers from the Big Bad Wolf will be reused for the new ride.
My take is that the layout brings up more questions than answers... because what we’re seeing here could be just about anything, and from a certain point of view may even look dull, but the truth is we really don’t know a lot about what this ride is. The layout we do see however just doesn’t scream multi-launch coaster, other than perhaps out of the station and out of the Event Building. Which brings up my main concern... that I’m worried the entire success or failure of this project may be riding on a crazy gimick inside this Event Building, much like Thirteen at Alton Towers. Not that I’m saying it will have a freefall drop platform... just that it almost appears that the focus of the entire ride experience may be based on what happens away from public view. More as we find out...

http://bgwfans.com/?p=1109

And also, it looks like Mach Tower has been topped off:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=51838&start=1420#p1032160

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=51838&start=1420#p1032183

From Screamscape:

2012 - New Multi-Launch Coaster - (5/11/11) New rumored details about the 2012 Coaster Project has been posted to BGWFans.com today, however the biggest and perhaps most shocking news is that they claim that the coaster will be from Zierer and not Intamin, which goes against about everything we’ve heard so far, but you never know. Zierer is not new to the Busch parks after all as they chose them to build Air Grover in 2010 at BGT, Grover’s Alphine Express at BGW in 2009 and the two Shamu Express coasters at SeaWorld Texas and Orlando. Could we be seeing a new launch coaster design from Zierer? So far, I believe their only launched coaster so far was Wicked at Lagoon, which has more in common with a Gerstlauer EuroFighter than an Intamin multi-launch coaster. Time to dig deeper… stay tuned.

Pics taken from TPR, taken from BGWfans, and now here :lol:
1_770.jpg

2_484.jpg

3_552.jpg

4_421.jpg

5_364.jpg

11_406.jpg

So, the ride will be very similar to Thirteen at Alton Towers: It'll have a segment of track that drops down, and it'll be basically a family coaster with some fun outside segments.

Well it makes sense, with I305 down the street and Griffon as your last major attraction aside from Mach Tower what better way to bring in the crowds than something that no one outside of California or Orlando has, a rollercoaster darkride with a 48" height requirement. And given BGW's track record with actually theming (Darkastle) this should be a great addition to the park. Even if its coming from Zierer.

http://www.zierer.com/mainmenu/produkte/achterbahnen/elevated-seating-coaster/

Glad there keeping the footers so the drop profile pretty much stays the same.