Busch Gardens Williamsburg Project 2011 and 2012 | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

Busch Gardens Williamsburg Project 2011 and 2012

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I think you mean 2009 (when Manta opened). Didn't Cheetah Hunt soft open as well?

No I meant every ride within every Busch park all the way to 1998 and 1999. And going back within that time frame the only ride to ever soft open was Manta.

No I meant every ride within every park all the way to 1998 and 1999. And going back within that time frame the only ride to ever soft open was Manta.

Oh ok :thumbs:

Did Potter? I thought it did or was that just area and not the ride.
If does not happen no biggie, but it cant hurt to dream.

Potter did soft open. The whole area, including FJ. But I think it's standard OP for Universal to soft open everything. And I like that :thumbs:

Yeah Potter soft opened I was there :lol: But I was referring to Busch Gardens and SeaWorld parks only.

Just something fun to share here ARE some rides that have soft opened in the last few years from all resorts,

Potter
HRRR-Kind of :lol:
Captain EO
TSMM
MILFCC
EE
Soarin
LMA
The Seas with Nemo and Friends
Turtle Talk with Crush
Mission Space
RNRC
Revenge of the Mummy
HISSTTR
Shrek
Manta
and I'm sure a few more I can't think of.

My point being the Busch Parks just don't do it. Which sucks but what you gonna do.

Star Tours had one as well. I was there. You are right about Busch parks not doing softs. Besides Manta, I can't remember anything else having softs. Did Darkastle and Griffon do softs?

Employing both soft/grand openings is great dual advertising. One for the press to ride and the other for the press to film famous people that are involved in the grand. Perhaps smaller parks don't have the clout to lure famous people?

When Six Flags Great Adventure opened Green Lantern up last year, that had soft openings at least two weeks in advance, but didn't have celebrities ride until the summer. I think they were just tests and rewards for season pass holders.

Star Tours had one as well. I was there. You are right about Busch parks not doing softs. Besides Manta, I can't remember anything else having softs. Did Darkastle and Griffon do softs?

While I am almost positive Griffon did not I can't be sure. As for Darkastle I was there for opening and remember there being no softs because I was so excited for it. :lol:

I really think that soft openings are a go this time around. I keep researching (because what else am I to do with myself? :lol:) and there are quite a few sources, all with a similar date: the last week of April. Of course, it could be complete bull, or they really are planned but will never come to fruition, but I'm inclined to believe they will happen. Here's one thread from Theme Park Insider. A few weeks old, but seems legit. http://www.themeparkinsider.com/news/response.cfm?ID=945508842

As far as soft opens go, it also has a lot to do with the complexities of the ride system. A coaster is fairly straight forward operationally. So there is no real need to have an extended soft open. A couple of days doing employee previews and the crew should be up to speed.

Last edited:
As far as soft opens go, it also has a lot to do with the complexities of the ride system. A coaster is fairly straight forward operationally. So there is no real need to have an extended soft open. A couple of days doing employee previews and the crew should be up to speed.

Very true, but considering the fact that it utilizes 2 LSM launches and a vertical freefall, they probably have to do a lot of testing. For a smooth opening, a few more days of constant operation would certainly help. Griffon only previewed for about a week and had terrible technical difficulties opening day. Most likely bad luck, but I'm sure management would want to avoid that again. :lol:

Last edited:
Very true, but considering the fact that it utilizes 2 LSM launches and a vertical freefall, they probably have to do a lot of testing. For a smooth opening, a few more days of constant operation would certainly help. Griffon only previewed for about a week and had terrible technical difficulties opening day. Most likely bad luck, but I'm sure management would want to avoid that again. :lol:

Same with Cheetah Hunt.

Busch can't seem to catch a break with their Mach Tower. First, with it opening several months later than planned last year, and now both the music and vibration effects are on the fritz. Guests have reported them being on and off for a week or two now without significant results. Sigh.

Employee previews arent gonna happen til afterward the Grand Opening. If they DO decide to do softs, which I doubt is likely, You probably won't get any data leaks, or any reviews. They don't want an ounce spilling out about the ride until it opens.

Also, who wants to start the project 2013 and 2014 announcement thread ;) .

If they DO decide to do softs, which I doubt is likely, You probably won't get any data leaks, or any reviews. They don't want an ounce spilling out about the ride until it opens.

This is the strongest reason why softs wouldn't happen and the more I realize how secretive BGW has been about details, the less likely I see there could be softs. But if I'm lucky, I won't care about data leaks since I'll get to ride it myself. :lol:

News is coming out about a small accident within the event building causing a little damage to the yellow train and giving one staffer stitches. It appears as though no major damage was done to the structure within the building.

Also here is a video for launch 1

[video=youtube;-jlZ5-qAMG4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jlZ5-qAMG4&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Video of Rhine River drop

[video=youtube;2G_FlF8udRQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G_FlF8udRQ[/video]