Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

California Great America

I'm still not 100% the Florida parks were/are safe. I do think the parks have tried their hardest, but we will likely never really hear how many guests and employees got Covid from there. Not exactly in their best interests to release that sort of info, if there was really even any way to track it at all.

Last edited:
If anything, I could see parks (such as CGA) open, but require guests to be vaccinated. I know that's been a bit of speculation, but it wouldn't surprise me if they opt in having the parks require at checkpoints; to show proof of vaccination before they continue further. It may be a measure to allow safety for the parks.

In the meantime, Cedar Fair had used the Knott's Twitter platform to spread their agreement to what CAPA has issued today.

If anything, I could see parks (such as CGA) open, but require guests to be vaccinated. I know that's been a bit of speculation, but it wouldn't surprise me if they opt in having the parks require at checkpoints; to show proof of vaccination before they continue further. It may be a measure to allow safety for the parks.

In the meantime, Cedar Fair had used the Knott's Twitter platform to spread their agreement to what CAPA has issued today.

Personally, I'd only go to a park if I'm vaccinated and case rates are <500. I just don't see the reopening plan happening at all.

A lot can happen between now and then, but it's sad to see (now) classic park close.

I wonder if they just close in 2026 after the park's 50th?

Or turn it in to just a waterpark like GL for the last few years?

I am gutted. My first theme park ever, and where I grew up. I knew when the hyper was canceled this was a possibility, but I thought another operator would step in.

Enjoy these park while we can. Alot can change pretty quickly, and developers are just waiting for these parks to become vulnerable here in California.

This is why im going with a friend soon....never been heard its great and want to ride the Mass effect ride before its gone for good

I will miss CGA. I visited for the first time last July, and was very pleased with the wide walkways, nice food and music festival with Taste of Orleans, and 3 very enjoyable coasters with Railblazer, Goldstriker, and Flight Deck, plus the very unique Mass Effect experience. Plus it was only 80 degrees compared to 100 at SFMM.
Land in CA is incredibly valuable, so it makes sense they'd cash in. We'll see if there are more twists to this story, but I won't hold my breath.

By the end of the 2020s, we barely have any amusement parks in the Santa Clara County area here. CGA isn't as great as Knott's Berry Farm, but it's the park that I always go to occasionally in summer, and for Halloween Haunt. I have a lot of memories going there as a kid and in the past few years.

It's only a midsized park with a mostly mediocre roller coaster line up... but it was a beautifully landscaped park with unique flat rides that really aren't seen anymore.

I'm going to assume that most of the coasters would get relocated, but I'm really sad because I doubt Beserker (Bayren Kurve, only one of two left in the USA), Orbiter (Enterprise), Delta Flyer (Skyway), and Centerfuge (Calypso) will be saved... and those are really getting to be a rarity. And I'd love to see that historical double decker carousel end up somewhere.

It'll be missed (especially that Triple Wheel back in the day). I did have many good times there. But given the unique land ownership situation, it's not too much of a shock... and at least they're giving people plenty of time to make last visits.

This is a shock, I'm curious which rides get relocated and which rides are harvested for parts

We could see things start to disappear and attendance start to decline pretty rapidly

Bleacher Report

Apparently the new property owners can just give two years notice to the park to vacate, so the park has up to 11 years, but could be closed much sooner.

I think most of the equipment will be scrapped or used for spare parts for other CF parks. There's not a lot there that has a value higher than what it can be written off for for taxes.

I have to wonder what County government thinks, especially with it backtracking the comments made a few years back.

Apparently the new property owners can just give two years notice to the park to vacate, so the park has up to 11 years, but could be closed much sooner.

I think most of the equipment will be scrapped or used for spare parts for other CF parks. There's not a lot there that has a value higher than what it can be written off for for taxes.

I think RailBlazer, Gold Striker (if they can), and Patriot is safe and will be taken to other CF parks. RailBlazer could work at Knotts admittedly if CF wants to do a quick, "cheap", project for the park in the 2024 year and Gold Striker would be a gold mine for a park like Dorney. Otherwise, yeah.

Realllly wondering what SFCorp is thinking as they look at their competition leave.