Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Cedar Point

Oh boy.

For a while, I believed that the next planned coaster for Cedar Point was tapping into the family market. Don’t know if those plans are changing with Dragster's situation, but those rumors Screamscape posted about a new generation Wild Cat seem to back the family coaster rumor up.

Last edited:
Screamscape posted about a new generation Wild Cat seem to back the family coaster rumor up.
Wow! are they gonna build another Arrow looper too? I hear they're all the rage

That would suck... and be totally unacceptable for CP. We've lost over half a dozen rides, including TWO HUGE COASTERS, for nothing.
I've had a sneaking suspicion since Steeve opened that it was going to be the last major thrill record breaker for a while at CP

I don't blame them, but it would be nice to have something to go off of

the rumor mill has been oddly quiet

Wow! are they gonna build another Arrow looper too? I hear they're all the rage

I've had a sneaking suspicion since Steeve opened that it was going to be the last major thrill record breaker for a while at CP

I don't blame them, but it would be nice to have something to go off of

the rumor mill has been oddly quiet
They're waiting for Sea World to put in a larger bid for acquisition.....and then you'll get a special new coaster. :lol:,,,Bronze Age Gwazi.

Putting this here as it is present to take account of, Top Thrill Dragster has been removed from park merchandise for this coming season, it seems.

Additionally, Screamscape is hearing that parts and materials from TTD are rumored to be going to KBF.
That’s a darn shame if that’s true. That will be kind of a shock to see a coaster on my top 10 list to get permanently removed. I better get to SFGA then.

That would suck... and be totally unacceptable for CP. We've lost over half a dozen rides, including TWO HUGE COASTERS, for nothing.
Yeah what a crummy time to be a Cedar Point fan. Two major coasters gettin axed with no adequate replacement in sight. Wow.

The lines for Dragster were pretty short, compared to the rest of the park's coasters, the last couple of times I visited. Perhaps it's demand, since it's ultra high thrill, was limited due to it being too scary to many.

Screamscape has posted a interesting update on the variety of roller coaster rumors about California's Great America. According to the article, Psycho Mouse could be the next roller coaster added to Cedar Point, which would fit in with the reported "Family Coaster" and "New Wild Cat" rumors.

Screamscape said:
Why remove Psycho Mouse first? This actually ties into a rumor sent in to Screamscape months ago about what sister park, Cedar Point, had planned for the 2023 season. So far that rumor has held pretty solid, with a new two-story restaurant building being built along the shoreline. The rest of that particular rumor posted in May mentioned that in addition to the restaurant, the plans might see some small rides relocated and some small flat rides added to fill in the gaps along the shoreline between the new restaurant building and Windseeker. At the time I was told that one such addition could very well be a new Wild Mouse coaster, possibly with throw-back branding to serve as a next-generation “Wildcat” coaster for that park. What I intentionally did not report at the time was that this source also told me that the new mouse for Cedar Point would be coming from another Cedar Fair park, and was looking to be Psycho Mouse from CGA. At the time I just didn’t believe that Cedar Fair would have been willing to remove yet another coaster from the California park, which has lost so many over the years, but now that rumor is making a lot more sense.

Ironically, the Psycho Mouse is the only credit I don't have from CGA. I should probably make my way up there sooner than later then.

Seriously contemplating making an early morning flight to San Jose and fly back the same day just to do the park for a daytrip.

As someone who grew up going to Cedar Point every summer during my childhood/teen years.. the park has lost a lot of great rides (Witches Wheel is still too fresh a wound).

If Top Thrill Dragster is getting axed, I'm all for it. It was an overrated coaster (I'm not a fan of Xcelerator either, but at least there's more to it than "up & over"). Wicked Twister was at least fun, but no real loss either.

Wildcat was a favorite, a little rough, but still great. I do find it amusing that a mouse will be the successor for the cat, if rumors are true.

I have felt for a few years that Cedar Point is in a strange spot. Right after Steel Vengeance came out I thought the park really needed an overall update involving stronger theming, better que line conditions, updated bathrooms, stronger events (Halloweekends and Frontier Festival) and improved and unique food options. I would say they have begun to address a few of these (theming, Frontier Festival, and food). I think it is going to take them a few more years to accomplish this. It feels like there is a lot of catch up to be done. Another problem they have is a lot of their rides are old and I'm not sure how they are going to handle that. Are they going to keep Blue Streak (58 yrs), Cedar Creek Mine Ride (53 years), Corkscrew (46 years) and Gemini (44 years) around for another 10 to 20 years? I find three of those to be un-rideable now just based on the trains being uncomfortable and the rides being jerky. I also have felt that they need to reimagine Halloweekends. They haven't had a new house since 2017. Are they going to get one this year to replace Zombie High? Or are they no longer going to do a house in that location? Cedar Faire will probably never try to replicate Knott's with Cedar Point Halloweekends, but that doesn't mean they can't improve it a bit.

I have felt for a few years that Cedar Point is in a strange spot. Right after Steel Vengeance came out I thought the park really needed an overall update involving stronger theming, better que line conditions, updated bathrooms, stronger events (Halloweekends and Frontier Festival) and improved and unique food options. I would say they have begun to address a few of these (theming, Frontier Festival, and food). I think it is going to take them a few more years to accomplish this. It feels like there is a lot of catch up to be done. Another problem they have is a lot of their rides are old and I'm not sure how they are going to handle that. Are they going to keep Blue Streak (58 yrs), Cedar Creek Mine Ride (53 years), Corkscrew (46 years) and Gemini (44 years) around for another 10 to 20 years? I find three of those to be un-rideable now just based on the trains being uncomfortable and the rides being jerky. I also have felt that they need to reimagine Halloweekends. They haven't had a new house since 2017. Are they going to get one this year to replace Zombie High? Or are they no longer going to do a house in that location? Cedar Faire will probably never try to replicate Knott's with Cedar Point Halloweekends, but that doesn't mean they can't improve it a bit.
I strongly agree with you. I had been attending Cedar Point since the early 70's , so I've seen all the phases it's gone through. (Mark) @UK-Trigg , our friend from England, a coaster lover and former writer for a UK theme park site, and I went there a couple of years ago when Mark & Samantha stayed with us. Mark had Cedar Point on his bucket list. He was very disappointed in the park after attending it. And yes, a large number of the coasters were so rough that they are nearly unrideable, or very uncomfortable at the very least.The park was much better in the past, and certainly more beautiful than it's current concrete parking lot feel. Great scenic setting on Lake Erie, but a really unbalanced park with little outside of coasters to do, and the shade has largely disappeared. .

Last edited:
I strongly agree with you. I had been attending Cedar Point since the early 70's , so I've seen all the phases it's gone through. (Mark) @UK-Trigg , our friend from England, a coaster lover and former writer for a UK theme park site, and I went there a couple of years ago when Mark & Samantha stayed with us. Mark had Cedar Point on his bucket list. He was very disappointed in the park after attending it. And yes, a large number of the coasters were so rough that they are nearly unrideable, or very uncomfortable at the very least.The park was much better in the past, and certainly more beautiful than it's current concrete parking lot feel. Great scenic setting on Lake Erie, but a really unbalanced park with little outside of coasters to do, and the shade has largely disappeared. .

The lack of shade is truly disappointing. It's funny. If Cedar Point doesn't build coasters, some fans cry like babies. Then, CP builds coasters and others cry about nothing for families. CP basically backed themselves into this position with being called "the roller coast" and trying for most coasters vs MM. I will readily admit that I am always excited about CP's coaster announcements but definitely feel the lack of variety outside of those rides. They took out the antique cars back by Maverick and I kind of hated that as the ride was a nice cool way to spend a few minutes. I really enjoy Cedar Downs and can remember the old Earthquake ride. It just seems like CP could add a couple dark rides for those rainy or cold/blustery days when the wind off the lake makes you want to huddle inside for a bit.

The lack of shade is truly disappointing. It's funny. If Cedar Point doesn't build coasters, some fans cry like babies. Then, CP builds coasters and others cry about nothing for families. CP basically backed themselves into this position with being called "the roller coast" and trying for most coasters vs MM. I will readily admit that I am always excited about CP's coaster announcements but definitely feel the lack of variety outside of those rides. They took out the antique cars back by Maverick and I kind of hated that as the ride was a nice cool way to spend a few minutes. I really enjoy Cedar Downs and can remember the old Earthquake ride. It just seems like CP could add a couple dark rides for those rainy or cold/blustery days when the wind off the lake makes you want to huddle inside for a bit.
Yes. and I greatly prefer Kings Island to Cedar Point, though both parks were better a few decades past when they had more differentiated attractions. They got a little too 'coaster happy' and neglected to add, or keep, other types
of attractions.

Blue Streak has just been inducted into the Coaster Landmark thingy recently, so that is safe from Extinction.

Also... Corkscrew gives Cedar Point an iconic midway that you don't find anywhere else. The trains just need more cushion (hell convert to lap bars)

Mine Ride is a classic. Gemini is awesome, it was a hybrid before hybrids were a thing.

CP needs a dark ride. Badly. Like really, really BADLY.

It doesn’t need to be the greatest thing ever. Just have a simple Peanuts dark ride that’s small and compelling enough to be cloned at other CF parks and you got yourself a winner. It could be the CF equivalent of Justice League in that it could be easily cloned and used for other CF parks.

Cedar Point used to have a pirate dark ride similar to what you'd find in Fantasyland & it scared me as a kid :lol:

Back in the day, you had Avalanche Run enclosed & highly themed into Disaster Transport (however the building was cheap & leaked when it rained)

I liked the old pirate dark ride, it seems like they could bring it back fairly easy. They could even design it family friendly with an easy option for a Halloweekends scarier overlay.

CP needs a dark ride. Badly. Like really, really BADLY.

It doesn’t need to be the greatest thing ever. Just have a simple Peanuts dark ride that’s small and compelling enough to be cloned at other CF parks and you got yourself a winner. It could be the CF equivalent of Justice League in that it could be easily cloned and used for other CF parks.

One of my favorite all-time dark rides was the Enchanted Voyage (pre-Smurfs) at Kings Island. If CP and/or KI built a dark boat ride, I'd be so happy. Peanuts provides a great IP to utilize for that type of ride. The Earthquake ride scared me at first because I kept hearing a lot of screaming and didn't understand that it was for fun. Of course, I was 7 or 8 at the time. I remember the Pirate ride but did not go on it. I currently view Efteling as a good model for dark rides. They really get good value on their rides.

Blue Streak has just been inducted into the Coaster Landmark thingy recently, so that is safe from Extinction.

Also... Corkscrew gives Cedar Point an iconic midway that you don't find anywhere else. The trains just need more cushion (hell convert to lap bars)

Mine Ride is a classic. Gemini is awesome, it was a hybrid before hybrids were a thing.
I don't want Gemini to leave, I think it is a really fun coaster. The Corkscrew, Blue Streak, and Mine ride are just very uncomfortable to ride in now compared to other coasters. It would be cool if they could just change the trains. I think Corkscrew and Blue Streak have a fun track layout and their layout doesn't need changed, but I feel like the Mine ride could do with a slight change in the track layout and it would vastly improve the ride. I don't feel like there is any reason to completely eliminate any of these coasters. But it doesn't mean they can't be improved.