Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Cedar Point

The announcement should happen this Thursday. Cedar Point, in true cryptic fashion, sent out pairs of flip-flop sandals to media personnel. Either they are expanding the water park or the sandals are red herrings. Cedar Point has been known to give intentional false information (including filing names for rides that are never used).

I wonder if it is RMC; are they going to be treating it much like how The New Texas Giant was treated? If I recall; they made an announcement for it I think a year and a half before it opened, but I could be wrong about that.

But in any case, seems like I made the right call in guessing 2018; as I can't find any way they have the ability to have an RMCed Mean Streak ready by Summer of 2017.

BULLET TIME!
  • March 2009: Six Flags announces Texas Giant will close for a $10 million restoration
  • November 1, 2009: Texas Giant Closes
  • March 3, 2010: Six Flags says "Hey we're using I-Box track yay!"
  • April 4, 2011: New Texas Giant opens
  • If you do the math, that's 24 months between announcement and opening.
  • Streakier Meany will re-open in August 2018!?
  • Everyone ask @Tonyclark

The announcement should happen this Thursday. Cedar Point, in true cryptic fashion, sent out pairs of flip-flop sandals to media personnel. Either they are expanding the water park or the sandals are red herrings. Cedar Point has been known to give intentional false information (including filing names for rides that are never used).

I understand they are expanding the water park this summer and RMC'd Mean Streak in 2018.

I understand they are expanding the water park this summer and RMC'd Mean Streak in 2018.

AH-HAH!! You finally caved in. Of course, telling us within 24 hours of the announcement is not much of a cave. Mean Streak rebuild sounds right. I wonder what the layout will be like. Guess that I'll find out more tomorrow. Unless you want to share any other tidbits.

Honestly, it's like pulling teeth. ;)

AH-HAH!! You finally caved in. Of course, telling us within 24 hours of the announcement is not much of a cave. Mean Streak rebuild sounds right. I wonder what the layout will be like. Guess that I'll find out more tomorrow. Unless you want to share any other tidbits.

Honestly, it's like pulling teeth. ;)

A few posts above I said RMC was happening in 2018.

A few posts above I said RMC was happening in 2018.

I know. You said that and and added "an odd detail". When you replied "2018" later on, I didn't realize that that was the odd detail. Brain is working fast enough these days. I still wish that they would have given Intamin the green light to Iron Horse and redesign the whole ride. I know that RMC is very popular right now but their rides look fairly intense.

I get the reason for the Soak City expansion but how crowded does it actually get? Kings Island's waterpark gets packed in the summertime but I don't go enough to CP to get a feel for it.

Last edited:
I know. You said that and that a few other things might happen (but no details). I still wish that they would have given Intamin the green light to Iron Horse and redesign the whole ride. I know that RMC is very popular right now but their rides look fairly intense.

I get the reason for the Soak City expansion but how crowded does it actually get? Kings Island's waterpark gets packed in the summertime but I don't go enough to CP to get a feel for it.

As far as I know, Intamin hasn't done I-Box level renovations on wooden coasters; yes? And personally, go big or go home and RMC can certainly go big.

As far as I know, Intamin hasn't done I-Box level renovations on wooden coasters; yes? And personally, go big or go home and RMC can certainly go big.

Agreed on all points. I was just doing a little wishful thinking. Maybe they could have kept the lift hill and first drop and then replaced everything else. Either way, I'm going to be happy as Mean Streak was the worst coaster up there by far.

I know. You said that and and added "an odd detail". When you replied "2018" later on, I didn't realize that that was the odd detail. Brain is working fast enough these days. I still wish that they would have given Intamin the green light to Iron Horse and redesign the whole ride. I know that RMC is very popular right now but their rides look fairly intense.

Got ya! Yeah the odd detail was 2018 not 2017. The water park info is newer. They'll be getting the water park expansion stuff from Geauga Lake since they're closing that. The sky coaster will go to where Shoot the Rapids was.

Also I think Cedar Fair after all the headaches won't be buying an Intamin ride in a long time.

Got ya! Yeah the odd detail was 2018 not 2017. The water park info is newer. They'll be getting the water park expansion stuff from Geauga Lake since they're closing that. The sky coaster will go to where Shoot the Rapids was.

Also I think Cedar Fair after all the headaches won't be buying an Intamin ride in a long time.

I know that TTD, Shoot The Rapids, and Maverick (specifically the heartline roll that was removed) probably turned them away from Intamin but the Iron Horse is fairly reliable. El Toro is consistently rated as one of the best wooden coasters in the US. My only concern with RMC is that we don't have a lot of history for their rides to see how they hold up over time. With that in mind, it will not stop me from my annual pilgrimage to Sandusky. If anything, I will be likely to go more than once per year to experience the new coaster.

I didn't expect it but I was disappointed that they didn't release any information on Mean Streak's next incarnation.

The new slides shouldn't be coming from Wild Water Kingdom, the layouts don't match from what I can tell. I'd expect another smaller park's water park to get those cast-offs, like MiA (although I'm kind of surprised they didn't decide to make room for the funnel).

http://rollercoasterfreak.com/shores.jpg

EDIT: Forgot that 4 of the new slides are Skyboxes, and WWK definitely doesn't have those. Taking another look the other two slides could come from the tower at WWK, but I'd doubt it.

Last edited:
Mean Streak has now closed with some witiful fanfare..

And in another note, RMC has been spotted in the park via a trailer..

Lived up to it's name. Perhaps the meanest coaster on the planet. I rode it the first season it was open. The longest line I ever stood in.It was listed at 45 minutes, but ended up over 2 hours long. Talk about not meeting expectations. That was numero uno. I would never stand in a line over an hour again for anything.

Without a doubt, the most painful coaster I have ever ridden (And I survived the Weiner Looping at Circus World) LOL

Right on review. First time I rode it, the year it opened, I ended up waiting in line for over two hours, which is a hour longer than I'd wait for any ride today. It looked great but the ride was so so. It wasn't half as good as the excellent Thunderbolt woodie at Kennywood or the Beast at King's Island. Then, it got rough and worst over the years. I doubt many will miss this.

OMG, I remember that 2 hour wait. To only ride it and go, meh. It never felt like a real woodie and the thunderbolt was always so much better. I will never get those 2 hours back lol

Last edited:
Just got back from a weekend trip to Cedar Point. We stayed onsite at SandCastle Suites. The park was CRAZY busy Saturday. I'm so glad we had fast passes! The beds at our room were THE HARDEST mattresses I have ever slept on BTW.... A little disappointing for $400 a night... Not much else to complain about otherwise. I'm spoiled after staying at Portofino...

Anyway I'm not sure what has or hasn't been confirmed on Meanstreak but I can confirm they have been removing track sections ONLY. The pieces they have been removing strongly suggest a retrack rather than complete demo. I would have gotten pics but I was driving. We got a great look of the backside of Meanstreak on the way to and leaving out hotel....again this could of already been confirmed I just havnt heard of anything for sure but it's definitely not a complete demo. They are taking care to leave support structure intact and only removing track portions.

Just got back from a weekend trip to Cedar Point. We stayed onsite at SandCastle Suites. The park was CRAZY busy Saturday. I'm so glad we had fast passes! The beds at our room were THE HARDEST mattresses I have ever slept on BTW.... A little disappointing for $400 a night... Not much else to complain about otherwise. I'm spoiled after staying at Portofino...

Anyway I'm not sure what has or hasn't been confirmed on Meanstreak but I can confirm they have been removing track sections ONLY. The pieces they have been removing strongly suggest a retrack rather than complete demo. I would have gotten pics but I was driving. We got a great look of the backside of Meanstreak on the way to and leaving out hotel....again this could of already been confirmed I just havnt heard of anything for sure but it's definitely not a complete demo. They are taking care to leave support structure intact and only removing track portions.

Looks like it's all but confirmed that it's going to be a RMC track overlay.

Looks like it's all but confirmed that it's going to be a RMC track overlay.

They have actually removed some structure, starting with the first third of the lift hill. Screamscape wondered if the hill would be re-profiled to a steeper drop (which is standard for RMC coasters). Obviously, I have no way of knowing how much more will be removed. If done right, this would be one of the longest RMC coasters with the potential for a lot of pop. At the very least, it will be far more enjoyable than the original.

FWIW - I am not counting Magic Mountain's usage of both Colossus tracks as that seemed like a cheap ploy.