CityWalk Orlando Updates & Changes General Thread | Page 89 | Inside Universal Forums

CityWalk Orlando Updates & Changes General Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
It was pretty clearly designed to mimic Pleasure Island while avoiding actual turnstiles, thus being more welcoming. (With being easy to close off for conventions a fringe benefit). When most everything up there was designed to be a nightclub that happened to serve some food, it made a lot more sense.

Early on the design flaws started to show. They used to do a parade/circus show that would try to draw people up the Margaritaville ramp in the early evening (this would be early 2000s). As the nightclub complex aspect started to fade -- it's hard to keep any place "hip" for more than 5 years as Church St Station and Pleasure Island found out -- and Latin Quarter and Cowfish became straight-up restaurants, it became the current awkward situation.

It was pretty clearly designed to mimic Pleasure Island while avoiding actual turnstiles, thus being more welcoming. (With being easy to close off for conventions a fringe benefit). When most everything up there was designed to be a nightclub that happened to serve some food, it made a lot more sense.

Early on the design flaws started to show. They used to do a parade/circus show that would try to draw people up the Margaritaville ramp in the early evening (this would be early 2000s). As the nightclub complex aspect started to fade -- it's hard to keep any place "hip" for more than 5 years as Church St Station and Pleasure Island found out -- and Latin Quarter and Cowfish became straight-up restaurants, it became the current awkward situation.
From what I remember it has always been a struggle to get people up there before 8pm lol

Reactions: SeventyOne
They did before the shut down and during the start of it. Now that there are more crowds they've moed all of that to the larger waterfront stage. It's a frequently used stage.
I personally have not seen anything on that stage since the early 10s, which excludes some graffiti art demonstration that happened a while back. I understand it is used yearly for eVe though.

I'd love a retro store.

It would be awesome if they could find a place for the FLY Telepods in there.

It seems like Universal is starting to indulge in nostalgia now. There's certainly an audience for it.

I thought it was telling that they've started using the classic park logo again even on some non-retro merchandise. The anniversary stuff last year must have sold well for them.

what are those

The original version of the Horror Makeup Show had a finale involving the teleportation devices (Telepods) from Cronenberg's THE FLY remake. After years being MIA, they turned up in the T2 (now Bourne) exit store during the phase where it was decorated primarily with horror items.

D39uQYHX4AAe4dn.jpg:large

With Bourne now open, they've been removed again.

The original version of the Horror Makeup Show had a finale involving the teleportation devices (Telepods) from Cronenberg's THE FLY remake. After years being MIA, they turned up in the T2 (now Bourne) exit store during the phase where it was decorated primarily with horror items.

Oh right. I was thinking.some sort of VR gimmick

Reactions: belloq87

Here's a vid of the version of the Horror Makeup Show with those telepods:
The Phantom of the Opera Horror Make-Up Show Universal Studios Fl 1992 - YouTube

Reactions: belloq87
I loved that original version, which I think basically lasted more or less unchanged (except for the name of the show) until around 2004, when the robo-werewolf suit finale replaced the FLY finale as part of a nominal VAN HELSING tie-in.

The current show is still great, but I miss the old ending.

I wonder if we'll see the old store become the tribute store moving forward until they come up with a permanent solution for the spot. I also wonder if they had a plan for the space that either fell through or got postponed because of the pandemic.

Reactions: TheCodeMan95