Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

CityWalk Orlando Updates & Changes General Thread

Even 18+ or 21+ all you need is some comic who goes over the line, or gets political and you've got angry guests.
I mean, people who step their foot into a comedy club anywhere in the country take these risks. Now do I think it will happen? No.

Of the reasons not to do it I don't think this is it. Remember, they're already doing comedy acts in Hard Rock.
Yeah, not sure where this argument is coming from. They already have acts performing on property that definitely do "edgier" material. This would be nothing new for CityWalk. Not only that, but SNL as a brand has no issue booking more controversial acts themselves.

The only way an improv club would be really successful is if Comcast is able to get one of the re-known troupes to partner with them. If they basically made Universal the new home of Upright Citizens or Second City, then it would matter.

Although, what may be a more clever idea is to basically launch a US version of The Goes Wrong Show with a state-side extension of Mischief Comedy. You get a comedy troupe, international recognition, a live show and a weekly broadcast to attract eyes to the resort. Given that Universal/Comcast already has a somewhat amicable relationship with the BBC, it wouldn’t be a terrible idea.

But, really, everyone is ignoring that this rumor came from Screamscape.

If SNL is involved, I don't think it will be a "Stand Up Comedy" comedy club. SNL is mostly skit comedy mixed with short films, misical acts, and topical Weekend Update.

I could see something like "SNL: LIVE with your host Kenan Thompson". Sign Thompson on for a 5 year residancy. Put together a comedy troupe, call them something like The Not Ready For The Rock Players. Have a house band, that doubles as the ficticious musical act. And basiclly do a SNL show 5 nights a week. They could play new and classic short films on screens between skits. Mr. Bill and Toonces would get some cheers. Keep Weekend Update fresh every week.

If SNL is involved, I don't think it will be a "Stand Up Comedy" comedy club. SNL is mostly skit comedy mixed with short films, misical acts, and topical Weekend Update.

I could see something like "SNL: LIVE with your host Kenan Thompson". Sign Thompson on for a 5 year residancy. Put together a comedy troupe, call them something like The Not Ready For The Rock Players. Have a house band, that doubles as the ficticious musical act. And basiclly do a SNL show 5 nights a week. They could play new and classic short films on screens between skits. Mr. Bill and Toonces would get some cheers. Keep Weekend Update fresh every week.
Kenan has a show on NBC. They aren't going to then say "hey, wanna do a residency down in Orlando where you spent most of your youth?" when he has a lot more going for him in Hollywood.

Although, what may be a more clever idea is to basically launch a US version of The Goes Wrong Show with a state-side extension of Mischief Comedy. You get a comedy troupe, international recognition, a live show and a weekly broadcast to attract eyes to the resort. Given that Universal/Comcast already has a somewhat amicable relationship with the BBC, it wouldn’t be a terrible idea.

I've never thought about them getting this as an in-residence show/troupe, but this would have been the perfect replacement for BMG. It's short, very family friendly, and has wide appeal. I've seen TSTGW 3x now and each time has been to a packed house.

I've never thought about them getting this as an in-residence show/troupe, but this would have been the perfect replacement for BMG. It's short, very family friendly, and has wide appeal. I've seen TSTGW 3x now and each time has been to a packed house.
I’m kind of obsessed with the show on BroadwayHD.

You can’t tell me the show wouldn’t get repeat locals, more so than BMG or Cirque ever did.

I’m kind of obsessed with the show on BroadwayHD.

You can’t tell me the show wouldn’t get repeat locals, more so than BMG or Cirque ever did.

It's definitely got that potential, I asked my family to go with me last time it was in town and they keep asking when it'll be nearby again so they can catch another show.

Related note but their TV show that is/was on Amazon Prime is worth a watch. It has more of the OG cast from the West End production.

It's definitely got that potential, I asked my family to go with me last time it was in town and they keep asking when it'll be nearby again so they can catch another show.

Related note but their TV show that is/was on Amazon Prime is worth a watch. It has more of the OG cast from the West End production.
It’s available through BroadwayHD and, yes, it’s absolutely worth watching. It’s more akin to what I think Universal should do. Regularly changing the show allows locals to keep going back.

Personally, I'm expecting the restaurant version of the Jimmy Fallon 'queue'

UCB ain’t getting involved, as their financial situation right now is dire. Second City would be more likely as their sketches are created based on improv work done hours before the show.

I never understood the appeal of SNL.
I guess it's a cultural thing and most international visitors aren't warming up to this kind of humor. So if Universal Studios Orlando wants that appeal I think they should look somewhere else.
My opinion: SNL was excellent their first 5 or 6 years when they had the original cast and writers. After that, I never cared much for the show. It would have some individual stars some years, like Eddie Murphy for example,
that were worth watching when they were in a skit, but the other 80% of the show just wasn't funny. During those first years though, just about every skit hit it. The mediocrity continues. One or two decent skits but rest of the
shows fall flat.