Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

CityWalk Orlando Updates & Changes General Thread

SNL was never great we just remember the best parts from seasons and assume it came from one or two episodes not like 26.
The first years were inspired with a cast of not yet stars. Think of all the "names" that became huge stars and staples of our culture. The years after that were spent trying to recapture that magic.
It would not have been around this long without being special.

SNL was never great we just remember the best parts from seasons and assume it came from one or two episodes not like 26.
and, exactly how old were you when the first season's of SNL aired?...The show was a must see in it's first years, and generally the entire shows were solid....After the initial stars and writers left, and most of them had strong movie and/or comedic careers, the show faltered.

and, exactly how old were you when the first season's of SNL aired?...The show was a must see in it's first years, and generally the entire shows were solid....After the initial stars and writers left, and most of them had strong movie and/or comedic careers, the show faltered.
When did they play the Fish Head song? That’s when it peaked.

When did they play the Fish Head song? That’s when it peaked.
I don't recall that one.Getting old :lol: ...Some of my favs were Killer Bees, The Samurai, Coneheads, Mr. Bill, the Burger Diner, ....Some anecdotal stories on the SNL popularity. I had a bar/restaurant in the late 70's that was a
busy nightspot with live entertainment. The crowd was so keen on Mr. Bill, that every Sat. night we had to have the band take a break right before SNL ended so people could watch the Mr. Bill skit on the TV ,
which usually ended the show. . It was a cult like thing with the under 30 crowd back then. We did a big business selling Kamikaze's and even had a separate service bar to make them on our Weds.
Kamikaze night special. I had one of my bartenders dress up in a Samurai outfit for those nights and he'd cut the limes with a Samurai sword. Great theater and a promotion that took advantage of the John Belushi
Samurai skit

I don't recall that one.Getting old :lol: ...Some of my favs were Killer Bees, The Samurai, Coneheads, Mr. Bill, the Burger Diner, ....Some anecdotal stories on the SNL popularity. I had a bar/restaurant in the late 70's that was a
busy nightspot with live entertainment. The crowd was so keen on Mr. Bill, that every Sat. night we had to have the band take a break right before SNL ended so people could watch the Mr. Bill skit on the TV ,
which usually ended the show. . It was a cult like thing with the under 30 crowd back then. We did a big business selling Kamikaze's and even had a separate service bar to make them on our Weds.
Kamikaze night special. I had one of my bartenders dress up in a Samurai outfit for those nights and he'd cut the limes with a Samurai sword. Great theater and a promotion that took advantage of the John Belushi
Samurai skit
Mr. Bill was my jam. It was so popular they released VHS compilation specials.

Although, what may be a more clever idea is to basically launch a US version of The Goes Wrong Show with a state-side extension of Mischief Comedy. You get a comedy troupe, international recognition, a live show and a weekly broadcast to attract eyes to the resort. Given that Universal/Comcast already has a somewhat amicable relationship with the BBC, it wouldn’t be a terrible idea.
I've never thought about them getting this as an in-residence show/troupe, but this would have been the perfect replacement for BMG. It's short, very family friendly, and has wide appeal. I've seen TSTGW 3x now and each time has been to a packed house.

I'm still incredibly bummed that The Play That Goes Wrong tour got cancelled last year, since it was gonna' make a stop in Seattle. Though I do see it's gradually returning and making a stop in Vegas next June. Being a theater nerd and a big fan of Noises Off!, this show looks right up my alley!

A new permit was recently filed for interior renovations at B704. A quick search for old permits with that building number on the City of Orlando permitting site seems to indicate this is the Margaritaville building. The expiration date on the Notice of Commencement is December 31st 2022, which is longer than the default of 1 year that most small project get... So could we perhaps see something else take Margaritaville's place, or do you think they're just going to be renovating/refreshing the current restaurant?

704-NoC.jpg

B704-CoL.jpg

A new permit was recently filed for interior renovations at B704. A quick search for old permits with that building number on the City of Orlando permitting site seems to indicate this is the Margaritaville building. The expiration date on the Notice of Commencement is December 31st 2022, which is longer than the default of 1 year that most small project get... So could we perhaps see something else take Margaritaville's place, or do you think they're just going to be renovating/refreshing the current restaurant?

704-NoC.jpg

B704-CoL.jpg
I know it was speculated that M'ville might be leaving when the new resort was built. I can't see them wanting to get out of that space in favor of 192 but maybe the landlord will do some improvements to keep their tenant happy? They have had the same layout and decor since opening no?

This coming from King Bob's Orlando Nightlife blog, which has been covering clubs since the PI days...

I'm a fan of SNL as well - but I'm in the opposite camp. I just don't think it makes sense for a theme park nighttime venue, especially with Hard Rock Live! right there.
This saying goes for legit anything, but, if done well this is a winner concept. Hard Rock doesn’t have something every night, plus, with EU coming they’re going to need more entertainment for the crowd sizes.

This coming from King Bob's Orlando Nightlife blog, which has been covering clubs since the PI days...
look at them dancing...they were all so happy

DSCN0514.jpg

Also, SNL is trash minus everything Kate Mckinnon does

So with the news of The Groove and Red Coconut not reopening, is it pretty reasonable to think the rumored escape room could be positioned where the Groove is and SNL Comedy Lounge taking over at Red Coconut? I think it would add some much needed life back there and I can’t really see them fitting anywhere else unless they build something between Hard Rock and old Blue Man entrance.

I think honestly the escape rooms could be a huge hit. With the ability to base them off Universal IPs like Jurassic Park, Bourne, Mummy, MIB and BTTF or even partnerships like HP or Nintendo if allowed it could provide such a unique experience compared to other escape rooms in the area. And they could have such a large amount of them depending on how they design it with even a second story of them depending on how they lay out The Groove’s ex-interior.

they could have 6-10 different escape room concepts to try!! What a great way to add a large amount of new experiences!

And they could have such a large amount of them depending on how they design it with even a second story of them depending on how they lay out The Groove’s ex-interior.

I still have doubts about the Screamscape theory, but keep in mind there is a never-used mirror image of Groove in between Pat Os and existing Groove. So yeah, there is a ton of space to play with there.