Country Bear Jamboree | Page 5 | Inside Universal Forums

Country Bear Jamboree

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I agree it is a change, but it is a change because people prefer stuff tied to an IP. If it didn't make more money for them whether it is number of additional guests that come to the park because of the new ride or the merchandise it sells, they wouldn't keep doing it.
We'll just have to agree to disagree on this. This presupposes that corporations are rational actors when we have plenty of recent examples (Disney+, Artificial Intelligence) to suggest they are absolutely not.

Reactions: Clive
We actually loved both versions, especially the longer version. We generally stopped to see the show a couple times every vacation, and missed not seeing it last month. A nice respite from the hustle, bustle and heat also. But it was showing it's animatronic age, so I'm glad they've refreshed it and from the bits I heard/saw, I'll like the music. In my eyes it's a win. We would have been saddened if they shut the show down due to middlin attendance. But, as I've said before, the show had a cult like following and there was loud cheering just about every time we saw it........But, probably because I'm a tourist, I'm usually more inclined to the views/opinions/interests of the general public than the theme park community super fandom and locals AP's.

Last edited:
I agree it is a change, but it is a change because people prefer stuff tied to an IP. If it didn't make more money for them whether it is number of additional guests that come to the park because of the new ride or the merchandise it sells, they wouldn't keep doing it. The last non-IP new ride was Everest and it didn't move the needle enough in both those areas.

Sure as a theme park fan we want more originals, but the GP I believe prefer IP related stuff.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this. This presupposes that corporations are rational actors when we have plenty of recent examples (Disney+, Artificial Intelligence) to suggest they are absolutely not.
My last post was a little too snarky, but there are absolutely teams that exist basically to count up IP “impressions” in the parks, which is basically all they can do because the counterpoint is that there’s no correlation between IP and ride satisfaction scores.

IMO, IP doesn’t even help much with initial marketing… it only really helps with longevity (meaning, if I build a Moana ride today, it will help the kids born in 4-5 years be more likely to know of Moana in 8-10 years).

Reactions: Jake S
IMO, IP doesn’t even help much with initial marketing… it only really helps with longevity (meaning, if I build a Moana ride today, it will help the kids born in 4-5 years be more likely to know of Moana in 8-10 years).
I'm in agreement on this. In that way, little has changed. Walt Disney was always keen to promote upcoming films in his theme park and Disney certainly sees the theme parks as a way not just to promote new IP but to keep existing IP in the public consciousness for as long as possible.

Reactions: Nick and Clive
My only real problem with the retheme outside of the non-negotiable IP integration is really just a few of the songs seeming out of character with the musical stylings of the rest of the show (Try Everything being the biggest offender for me).

Unfortunately, within the Disney musical canon, there's only a select number of songs that can exist outside the context of their films. One would think When Will My Life Begin? would be a shoe-in for inclusion here...until you realize that half the lyrics are about painting, birthday lights, and brushing your hair.

EDIT: Also, cmon Disney, no Home on the Range represenation, where's your courage?

Reactions: Legacy and Clive
Under New Management dramatically shifted the tone of that attraction into a much more abrasive (read: annoying) direction.

This Country Bears revamp is still, tonally, in the same realm as the original show.

Yeah, as I said before UNM was severely cynical. It went heavy handed on trashing the old show, claiming nobody wants to listen to it and it knows what people really wanna' hear...an approach which never works but they went full steam ahead on. An incredibly stark contrast to Tokyo Disneyland's Get the Fever! version of the Tiki Room which was more upbeat and fun as they turned the show into a Vegas-style show. Definitely a direction, but it wasn't trashing the old show.

And from the sounds of things, the CBJ revamp is thankfully not taking that cynical direction, which makes me wonder why some folks were saying it was giving them UNM vibes leading up to it. For as bad as UNM was, I think some folks forgot (or purged from memory) of what it was actually like.

Let’s really kill the vibe and get “When She Loved Me” in here.
I actually had this, unironically, on my “I Hope They Use It” list.

When She Loved Me
Will the Sun Ever Shine Again
I Won’t Say I’m In Love
No Way Out

Now I just want a whole “All Is Lost Moment” medley.

Reactions: Jake S
Am I the only one who thinks this is the rare W for current Disney? I agree I didn't want IPs involved, but seeing the final product...I'm fairly impressed. It plays like The Country Bears put their own spin on some Disney tunes. It's cute, and feels very much in keeping with the spirit of the OG. Only song I could have done without was "Fixer Upper" (Who thought it was a good idea to include literally the least popular song from Frozen?).

And from the sounds of things, the CBJ revamp is thankfully not taking that cynical direction, which makes me wonder why some folks were saying it was giving them UNM vibes leading up to it. For as bad as UNM was, I think some folks forgot (or purged from memory) of what it was actually like.
While this may lack the cynicism of Under New Management, I still feel like there is a comparison to be made here. Both were modifications of beloved original shows to meet a cooperate IP quota/mandate. While I appreciate that at least some effort was made to maintain the shows original tone, unlike Under New Management, this still is very out of touch with why the show was beloved, and what made it special in the first place. It's not necessary to dump in the same handful of songs that can already be heard in many other attractions and shows elsewhere in Magic Kingdom, let alone all of Walt Disney World.

There was a lot of potential for this to at least have SOME deep cuts and, while I’m not surprised they didn’t select any of them, I’m disappointed they didn’t.

“Welcome” from Brother Bear (an actual country-inspired song), “Up, Down, and Touch the Ground” from Winnie the Pooh, “Lester’s Possum Park” from A Goofy Movie (a bluegrass song), “True to Your Heart” from Mulan, “Lavender Blue…” and I would KILL for a countrified version of “I Won’t Say I’m In Love.” Any of those could have easily slotted into what they have… and nada.

While this may lack the cynicism of Under New Management, I still feel like there is a comparison to be made here. Both were modifications of beloved original shows to meet a cooperate IP quota/mandate. While I appreciate that at least some effort was made to maintain the shows original tone, unlike Under New Management, this still is very out of touch with why the show was beloved, and what made it special in the first place. It's not necessary to dump in the same handful of songs that can already be heard in many other attractions and shows elsewhere in Magic Kingdom, let alone all of Walt Disney World.

I can agree the point on using songs that can be heard in other shows, but to be blunt, whatever made the show special and unique wasn't enough to save it. (Especially since it doesn't have the history/status that the Enchanted Tiki Room has.) For if they didn't change the show, Country Bear Hall would've absolutely gotten the wrecking ball dropped right on it, overdramatic "OH NO!" from Christopher Walken and all.

Reactions: Cwoolboy
I can agree the point on using songs that can be heard in other shows, but to be blunt, whatever made the show special and unique wasn't enough to save it. (Especially since it doesn't have the history/status that the Enchanted Tiki Room has.)
Given the precedent Disney has set, I don't think the original Enchanted Tiki Room will still exist in the next 2-3 years.

For if they didn't change the show, Country Bear Hall would've absolutely gotten the wrecking ball dropped right on it, overdramatic "OH NO!" from Christopher Walken and all.
While not incorrect, the fact that this is the scenario we are in says a lot about the state of the parks. An opening day attraction either needs to be corporatized and stripped or its heart and charm, or be demolished outright? The Country Bear Jamboree, as well as many other original creations within the parks have resonated with a noteworthy crowd, and even in the last few years, most of the shows I've seen have been high energy with the audience clapping and cheering along. While it's understandable that parks set out to promote properties and sell merchandise, it has been so hyper-fixated on that it has muddied the charm and the appeal that the Disney Parks provide.

The Country Bear Jamboree was never the most popular attraction in the park, and it never needed to be. It was iconic show with a loyal niche following. While it may get some attendance boost for a while with this change as a new offering, it's never going to be overwhelmingly popular, but that doesn't mean smaller attractions don't have a place in the park. Of all the issues that WDW has right now, this feels like one of the last things that needed "fixing".

Reactions: Cwoolboy
It's fine. Never was a fan of the original and I would give it a single view if I'd ever go back to the mouse but not more. I was expecting this to become a upcharge dining/show location but it's nice it still can be visited without a paywall. The ip songs are fine.