Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

D23 Expo 2022 - News & Rumors

So no Sorceror Pass this year. I would not have expected Disney to give up selling packages at that price point.
They got a lot of negative feedback over the past few Expos for not being able to meet what was promised since Disney can't get their stuff together. Besides, they'll sell more 3-day's at $900 than they could ever sell Sorcerer passes and the Sorcerer Pass wasn't that much more expensive and you were getting A LOT more than just general admission.

They got a lot of negative feedback over the past few Expos for not being able to meet what was promised since Disney can't get their stuff together.

Speaking of which, I shudder to think how operations are going to be this year. The Expo is getting gradually infamous for botched ops in one way or another, and I don't think the break it's had is gonna' help.

As somebody who has been to every D23 from 2011-2019, and who doesn't plan on going this year, I'd say don't waste your time. There's some interesting panels, but a lot of self-congratulatory puff (shout out to my Music of Galaxy's Edge podcast where they spent twenty minutes talking about the great job they did). Also most of the interesting stuff on the show floor from 2011-2015 has been replaced with more stores and upsell activities. Maybe I've become fundamentally disenchanted with the premise behind conventions themselves, but when most of the panels are available online and little of the film/TV footage stays exclusive to the panels themselves, there's not much going for the big events.

That being said, if you do decide to go, maybe do what I did in 2019 and just spend a whole day listening to the artist presentations at the Animation pavilion. If you have to, go to the Animation showcase presentation. This hasn't happened since 2015, but they might show you something substantial from a film they will eventually cancel (Like the opening sequence and plot outline for the 2014 version of the Good Dinosaur, or an entire song from Gigantic).

Speaking of which, I shudder to think how operations are going to be this year. The Expo is getting gradually infamous for botched ops in one way or another, and I don't think the break it's had is gonna' help.
This 100%

The only things I could see being announced for the parks will be more details on Disneyland Forward and the fruit it will bear at DLR in the short term like construction on the new parking garage and closing off DisneyLand. And if we are lucky maybe what will replace HollywoodLand as i predict that will be one of the first areas revamped as part of DL forward.

Chapek might not be there though (at least not at the parks presentation) and D’amaro has a fan club, so I’d lower the expectation for any boos.

Also, Walt’s plane will be brought over to the Expo this year.

I cannot wrap my head around why Amazon are involved with this.

Does Disney not care enough that they had to find a partner?

What do Amazon get out of this?

I cannot wrap my head around why Amazon are involved with this.

Does Disney not care enough that they had to find a partner?

What do Amazon get out of this?
Amazon get's free advertising and probably a booth to promote their companies products around what will probably be the most visited areas of the show floor and Disney gets someone to pick up the bill on bringing the plane from Orlando to Anaheim.

Chapek might not be there though (at least not at the parks presentation) and D’amaro has a fan club, so I’d lower the expectation for any boos.

Yeah--I don't see Chapek being present at all for the subject of the parks presentation. D+ and film though, more than likely.

I also believe the reason Amazon is sponsoring, is that they are working also on that Disney/Alexa aspect that'll be integrated into the parks. Makes sense they're involved with D23.

Yeah--I don't see Chapek being present at all for the subject of the parks presentation. D+ and film though, more than likely.

I also believe the reason Amazon is sponsoring, is that they are working also on that Disney/Alexa aspect that'll be integrated into the parks. Makes sense they're involved with D23.

That makes perfect sense to me.

Len saying during the Disney Dish that Bob was around WDW last week and they're discussing domestic park additions.

Cross your toes, fingers, and anything else you got.

Would love to see this:
  • Dinoland coaster
  • New DAK nighttime show
  • Marry Poppins carousel
  • New Imagination
  • RnR update
That's just the tip of the iceburgh.

My wish list of things that almost certainly won't happen:
  • Imagination overhaul at Epcot.
  • Indiana Jones dark ride (new concept) for Hollywood Studios.
  • Tear down Launch Bay, gut Animation Courtyard, connect walking route to Sunset Blvd., add a new people-eating dark ride (I'll take basically any theme) and a flat or two.
  • New coaster in Primeval Whirl's spot at AK.
  • Jungle Book dark/boat ride in Asia at AK.
  • New attraction in the old Stitch/Alien Encounter space at MK.

With EU looming over the horizon, and Universal being part of the Rail-line with Florida; it makes sense that Chapek would begin to be getting more invested, especially as other groups are beginning to step up further.

Have to think Primeval Whirl's replacement, Mary Poppins, and whatever Stitch becomes are quick and easy projects that wouldn't take as much time. Especially for the middle, as they'd essentially have to press the play button (pun intended) for the EPCOT project.

My wish list of things that almost certainly won't happen:
  • Imagination overhaul at Epcot.
  • Indiana Jones dark ride (new concept) for Hollywood Studios.
  • Tear down Launch Bay, gut Animation Courtyard, connect walking route to Sunset Blvd., add a new people-eating dark ride (I'll take basically any theme) and a flat or two.
  • New coaster in Primeval Whirl's spot at AK.
  • Jungle Book dark/boat ride in Asia at AK.
  • New attraction in the old Stitch/Alien Encounter space at MK.
Literally this. AK desperately needs more and better attractions. Echo Lake and Animation Courtyard can be destroyed so we can get more dark rides and attractions.

At the very least they need to give an update on the Avengers E ticket at DCA or whatever form it has morphed into now.

They'll be looking to add something quickly since nothing has broken ground yet, and they'll want something thrilling for 2025/26. I'd bet a (bare bones by Disney standards) coaster to add more thrills and for speed of construction.

Len saying during the Disney Dish that Bob was around WDW last week and they're discussing domestic park additions.

Cross your toes, fingers, and anything else you got.

Would love to see this:
  • Dinoland coaster
  • New DAK nighttime show
  • Marry Poppins carousel
  • New Imagination
  • RnR update
That's just the tip of the iceburgh.
While I would like more than this, this would be a great win I think as i'm not really expecting that much as of now. Poppins, if it ever happens (and while only a Carousel), at least provides another option in WS. Imagination is sorely needed. The Dinoland addition (coaster or not) is badly need. RnR needs to move on from Aerosmith and a new nighttime show at DAK that's actually good is also just an obvious hole.

Like you said, tip of the iceberg, but it would be a nice win if we could get it I think. Especially an Imagination update.

For Disneyland
1) I'd like to see and know more about the area around the Princess and the Frog Ride
2) Whats the next big ride for DCA?
3) What are the updates coming to Star Tours and will The Falcon ride/Spiderman be updated soon as well
4) What is happening the tree house in Adevntureland
5) Will Pinocchio be updated soon like all the other rides in the land have been

For Disneyland
1) I'd like to see and know more about the area around the Princess and the Frog Ride
2) Whats the next big ride for DCA?
3) What are the updates coming to Star Tours and will The Falcon ride/Spiderman be updated soon as well
4) What is happening the tree house in Adevntureland
5) Will Pinocchio be updated soon like all the other rides in the land have been
I would also add the reopening date of ToonTown and details of the improved version of Runaway Railway to the list. I don't think it would be opening that much later than SNW.