D23 Expo 2022 - News & Rumors | Page 9 | Inside Universal Forums

D23 Expo 2022 - News & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Always remember....Disney management is arrogant. But their arrogance causes them to often make poor long term decisions. If Universal didn't experience a rebirth starting with Potter, there would probably only be a small SW land
around Echo Lake, no Pandora, no Mickey RR, no Guardians, no Toy Story Land, no Tron and a much smaller New Fantasyland comprised mainly of M&G's.
So - thanks Universal?
Disney may well have never bought Marvel... or Star Wars... or Fox - if it wasn't for Potter. A lot of why they bought all of that was because they realized they didn't have enough adult content or they didn't have enough male skewing/geek content. That's literally why Tron: Legacy got made in 2010. It was Disney's attempt at a sci-fi franchise at a time when they didn't have any of their own.

Potter wasn't the only reason they bought those of course, but they wanted male skewing content for the theme parks just as much as they did for theaters and I think Potter kicked Iger into high gear to go on a spending spree.

Disney may well have never bought Marvel... or Star Wars... or Fox - if it wasn't for Potter. A lot of why they bought all of that was because they realized they didn't have enough adult content or they didn't have enough male skewing/geek content. That's literally why Tron: Legacy got made in 2010. It was Disney's attempt at a sci-fi franchise at a time when they didn't have any of their own.

Potter wasn't the only reason they bought those of course, but they wanted male skewing content for the theme parks just as much as they did for theaters and I think Potter kicked Iger into high gear to go on a spending spree.
Probably had a ton to do with the decisions.

I'm not sure that much thought went into it, Bob liked making deals and he concentrated on buying stuff. This stuff came available and would add to the brand. Bob the builder was absent the first 10 years of his reign and only ip focused in the last part but Bob the buyer was always active.

Are we really suprised that Disney under Bob Chapek is all announcements about nothing and no real 'stuff' other than a retheme of an existing ride and some M&G's?
I was fully expecting him to launch Genie+++ where you give a kidney to get a free lighting lane pass.

I think D23 should be seen as a fun event and not an Apple keynote…
IT can have both. Honestly I think the Walt Disney announcements were great

But they had almost nothing for Video games, nothing new for Marvel just updates, Lucas Film was also mainly updates and can't even give us the name to Indy 5.
They clearly have no real plans for most US parks besides rethemes and promising we will get an Avengers ride at DCA but unlike last time we promise this one will be made, lol

People are paying money to go to this event and waiting in hour long lines and they are not putting enough content in most these presentations. I went the first year and felt good but at this point is just long lines for headlines I can read online and many of those headlines are meh.

Literally the biggest Marvel news might be that a Villain from the Hulk is finally coming to the MCU.....that should not be close to the best news but it honestly is because of how low effort they put into Marvel, its biggest property

I think D23 should be seen as a fun event and not an Apple keynote…
I agree. Having been to the event before and not even been in a Hall D23-level panel there, I still had a great time because conventions are literally made for those ATTENDING!

The bigger stuff was a bit of a let down compared to years past, but in a weird way I also wasn't let down too much by what was/wasn't announced because there was almost no credible rumors going into the parks panel and Marvel blew their load at SDCC. I was maybe expecting a little more from LucasFilm (like the name of Indy 5), but whatever.

D23 has always been held AFTER SDCC with the exception of 2017, which is probably the most newsworthy D23 we've ever had from the parks giving us a ton to Marvel blowing the roof off the place, etc.

As long as they continue to insist on going to SDCC in D23 years, the Marvel panel is always going to be pretty meh and Josh seems scared now to announce anything concrete after years of projects getting cancelled after being announced too early at D23. I know not everyone likes it, but I appreciate them telling us that the DAK and MK stuff is all blue sky and it may not happen rather than confirming something that big extremely early in the design process. Sort of how they did with Avatar and then it almost ended up not happening because they announced it like a day after drawing up some concept art and signing the deal with Cameron to put it in the parks.

Now that I've caught up with everything...

Well, that was one of the more awkward parks presentations. Now I am in the boat that I do appreciate that they were honest that most of what was pitched may or may not happen, since Disney is rather infamous on announcing things way too early which can lead to things getting cancelled for a variety of reasons and/or people wondering if something did get cancelled since it was announced at the early stages of development and there's been no updates for years.

That said, I think it's safe to say folks were hoping for some concrete new attraction announcements. Since beyond what is confirmed to come such as Tiana's Bayou Adventure, it's a bit of an unknown. And you don't necessarily want the unknown when a certain park is well in construction up north and knowing Disney's pace...if it's not under construction now or firmly announced now, it's not going to be open when that park does. That window is closed.

So yeah, I definitely didn't have "Blue Sky Pitch Meeting" on my bingo card for the presentation. And because it was a Blue Sky Pitch, you really can't go into them too much since they may not happen at all! What I will say is it's concerning that most of the pitches were for MK, the park which kinda' needs them the least. Epcot and Studios still need help, so does DAK but technically there's a pitch for DAK, even though it sounds like yet another replacement and not a full-on addition so it could still be back to square one on what it needs.

Someone on twitter mentioned it best, this felt like the result of them losing a lot of US-Based WDI over the pandemic and the whole move to Florida situation, so they're pretty much gauging reactions to ideas while they hopefully try building WDI back up. But if they're gauging reactions to the ideas, it's not a good sign when the biggest cheers in the whole presentation were for Porto's and Din Tai Fung coming to DL's Downtown Disney.

Now as for the actual announcements, both Enchantment and Harmonious closing are admittedly good news...with a tinge of bad considering it does show how much those whiffed along with the 50th.

Though speaking of shows, really no word on when WDW's Fantasmic is going to reopen. Out of all the things I thought would happen, that was it and they didn't even give a general season. (Edit - I know it's on the timeline slide under 2022, but to give no mention of anything else is just weird.)

For a presentation with the moniker of a Boundless Future, it felt more uncertain than anything else.

Last edited:
I've never taken D23 seriously, but this was quite bizarre

I'm speaking about the parks panel, because everything else is a snooze fest

I've never taken D23 seriously, but this was quite bizarre

I'm speaking about the parks panel, because everything else is a snooze fest
The show floor actually looked like the best i've ever seen them do, but the major panels did somehow manage to disappoint, despite low expectations. Rumors where very few and far between, but it feels like they didn't want to go to far into the future on this parks panel because right now, the parks are being used for profit, but they aren't being given proper budgets for investing anymore as most of the money is going to Disney+.

The Animation and Disney Live Action panel was okay. But the panels everybody really cares about, which is the LucasFilm/Marvel/20th Century panel and the Parks panel were very underwhelming. It was also weird how all 20th Century talked about was Avatar 2... and then an Assassin's Creed show that isn't even coming to Disney+ or Hulu, but rather going to Netflix.

Wasn’t sure where to put this but since it was announced at D23 - does anyone know what’s going on with the Duffy show they announced for Disney+?

Im curious about Duffy and friends’ presence in the US parks. I saw santa Duffy was greeting during normal park hours the other day at DHS… maybe I’m reading too much into that :)

Reactions: GA-MBIT