D23 Expo 2022 - News & Rumors | Page 8 | Inside Universal Forums

D23 Expo 2022 - News & Rumors

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
If I was Universal, I’d let this week pass in silence. Let Disney sit in the “feedback.” Then drop some concept art or something the week after.

Blue Sky stuff (so don't expect it to actually happen):
  • Dinoland transformation into Zootopia. Ugh. The park needs investment, but i've always been a staunch anti-Zootopia in DAK person. Hopefully it's good if it happens. I don't like animals to wear pants in DAK.
  • Moana in DAK potentially? I guess i'd be okay with that given her relationship with nature, but why are we putting her in Epcot then???? Looks like Moana and Zootopia would share the Dinoland space. I spotted a Moana water ride in that concept art.
  • Expanding MK past Big Thunder for a Coco and/or Encanto area would actually be really cool. Of course what does this mean for The Liberty Belle and TSI if it happens?
  • Villains area beyond Coco/Encanto? I mean, bring all of this on, but i'm not buying any of this for a second until it actually happens. That's a huge ass expansion at MK if it happens and quite frankly, MK isn't the park that needs that much love out of the four.
100th Anniversary stuff:
  • Magic Happens coming back finally
  • World of Color One
  • Wondrous Journey's - Josh hyped up the song, but man that song sucks. Especially compared to Disneyland Forever's "Live The Magic", which was just playing over the summer.

Blue Sky stuff (so don't expect it to actually happen):
  • Dinoland transformation into Zootopia. Ugh. The park needs investment, but i've always been a staunch anti-Zootopia in DAK person. Hopefully it's good if it happens. I don't like animals to wear pants in DAK.
  • Moana in DAK potentially? I guess i'd be okay with that given her relationship with nature, but why are we putting her in Epcot then???? Looks like Moana and Zootopia would share the Dinoland space. I spotted a Moana water ride in that concept art.
  • Expanding MK past Big Thunder for a Coco and/or Encanto area would actually be really cool. Of course what does this mean for the Mark Twain and TSI if it happens?
  • Villains area beyond Coco/Encanto? I mean, bring all of this on, but i'm not buying any of this for a second until it actually happens. That's a huge ass expansion at MK if it happens and quite frankly, MK isn't the park that needs that much love out of the four.
100th Anniversary stuff:
  • Magic Happens coming back finally
  • World of Color One
  • Wondrous Journey's - Josh hyped up the song, but man that song sucks. Especially compared to Disneyland Forever, which was just playing over the summer.
My reaction to most of this blue sky

6t1c55.jpg

6t1c1n.jpg

Lol that parks panel was a whole bunch of “we might do this!” With no actual commitment to anything.
I can respect that in a way. I think they realized how much they announced at some prior expos that they've ended up cancelling, so instead of coming out with a firm "this is what we're doing" and getting you super hyped in the moment, they said "this is what we are working on" so that they don't get as much flack if they end up cancelling one of those projects.

It's disappointing that the biggest stuff was all in the Blue Sky portion of the panel and may never happen as far as we know, but it's better than them hyping up something that they silently cancel for... reasons.

After today it’s safe to say D23 is a scam.
It's hard to say D23 itself is a scam, especially if you're just watching from home. They're 2015/17/19 Expos were all great. For whatever reason, after a three year break, they just didn't really come to play at all.

I can respect that in a way. I think they realized how much they announced at some prior expos that they've ended up cancelling, so instead of coming out with a firm "this is what we're doing" and getting you super hyped in the moment, they said "this is what we are working on" so that they don't get as much flack if they end up cancelling one of those projects.

It's disappointing that the biggest stuff was all in the Blue Sky portion of the panel and may never happen as far as we know, but it's better than them hyping up something that they silently cancel for... reasons.

It's hard to say D23 itself is a scam, especially if you're just watching from home. They're 2015/17/19 Expos were all great. For whatever reason, after a three year break, they just didn't really come to play at all.

Ya I appreciate the attempt with transparency. The problem is, either way the result for the consumer is the same - a high likelihood of nothing coming. The only difference now is that Disney believes they are “protected” from inevitable backlash when a project doesn’t materialize. They seem to be missing the fact that fans want something announced, then to see it built. The goal post for this specific transaction has moved so far, it’s become useless.

Reactions: Nick
My reaction to most of this blue sky

View attachment 17298

View attachment 17297
See I don't mind Coco in MK, especially if it's off of Big Thunder as I think that would be a seamless transition just like how they celebrate dia de los muertes right next to Big Thunder at Disneyland. Encanto then in turn works next to Coco (although preferably, I think this is the type of stuff DHS needs).

Like, I also don't mind a Villain area in MK. Something to that effect has been rumored for years in MK. But I do think the better fit is to have it in DHS.

The whole Blue Sky section was super weird. It was all Orlando targeted and confirmed nothing.

I really think Disney doesn’t know if Epic Universe will succeed or not. If it thinks it’ll flop, they won’t announce anything. If they think it’ll be a wild success, they’ll green light everything.

They picked the most in-the-middle response possible. Are they really expecting a recession big enough to flop EU? Or are they convinced Universal pulls another Universal Escape and messes up the marketing?

It’s just weird.

Reactions: Nico
See I don't mind Coco in MK, especially if it's off of Big thunder as I think that would be a seamless transition just like how they celebrate dia de los muertes right next to Big Thunder at Disneyland. Encanto then in turn works next to Coco (although preferably, I think this is the type of stuff DHS needs).

Like, I also don't mind a Villain area in MK. Something to that effect has been rumored for years in MK. But I do think the better fit is to have it in DHS.
I'm literally just saying I would like these things two hours away from my house.

• Haha
I'm literally just saying I would like these things two hours away from my house.
Oops, somehow missed that :lol:

The whole Blue Sky section was super weird. It was all Orlando targeted and confirmed nothing.

I really think Disney doesn’t know if Epic Universe will succeed or not. If it thinks it’ll flop, they won’t announce anything. If they think it’ll be a wild success, they’ll green light everything.

They picked the most in-the-middle response possible. Are they really expecting a recession big enough to flop EU? Or are they convinced Universal pulls another Universal Escape and messes up the marketing?

It’s just weird.
See, to me, if they actually build what they proposed in the Blue Sky section, then it's a solid response. The only way to properly respond to a new park being built is by building another new one yourself and we knew that wasn't happening.

I say it was "good" if they build they blue sky stuff because it will dramatically improve MK and I suppose it will improve DAK, although i'm against Zootopia going there.

It could've been "great" if they had announced basically new stuff like that for all four WDW parks which would've been an extremely good response considering there's 4 main lands plus the hub at EU.

Ya I appreciate the attempt with transparency. The problem is, either way the result for the consumer is the same - a high likelihood of nothing coming. The only difference now is that Disney believes they are “protected” from inevitable backlash when a project doesn’t materialize. They seem to be missing the fact that fans want something announced, then to see it built. The goal post for this specific transaction has moved so far, it’s become useless.
I agree, but I also think it was misleading to announce something like the Avengers E-ticket, Poppins, Main Street Theater, Original new Epcot Hub plans, etc in years past only for them to be cancelled or put on hold because when they announced it at D23 (because they felt like they HAD to announce something), all they were really doing was announcing a blue sky concept.

Those blue sky concepts they announced over the years were just ideas and announced because they felt like they needed to announce something. Sure they had art, but they had no real idea of what the stuff they were announcing was actually going to be. If they are going to announce stuff like that, i'd rather they do it like today and give us warning that it may not happen as they are still working on it.

These "announcements" were a joke. They take so long to build anything, we don't even have a finished product for what was announced 2 D23's ago.

That means these Blue Sky possibilities of what they're mulling over puts as at seeing anything actually opening before what... 2030. :lol:

Also, all the airtime towards Meet & Greets is embarrassing. Another Avengers Campus M&G... in a land that is all M&Gs.. San Fransoyko for a Baymax M&G and not even the spinner from TDR.. Mando M&G but only for DLR.. They needed to bring out Favreau for that? A Figment M&G... when the ride is dilapidated.

No concrete announcements or timelines on almost anything. This was hands-down the absolute worst parks panel yet.

Reactions: frank_1991_
Disney: GUYS! GUYS! GUYS! WE’RE BUILDING THESE AWESOME ZOOTOPIA COCO AND MOANA LANDS AND THIS AVENGERS RIDE THAT WILL BE EIGHT YEARS AWAY! AREN’T YOU EXCITED??????

Us: ……sure. What about the People Mover?

Disney: Uh……MANDO AND GROGU ARE COMING AREN’T YOU EXCITED????

See I don't mind Coco in MK, especially if it's off of Big Thunder as I think that would be a seamless transition just like how they celebrate dia de los muertes right next to Big Thunder at Disneyland. Encanto then in turn works next to Coco (although preferably, I think this is the type of stuff DHS needs).

I would rather either Coco or Encanto (which I thought to be a better movie) to go into DHS as well. They could find a way to add it to Animation Courtyard or in that area. Of course, the DHS layout is a mess no matter what they do.

I agree, but I also think it was misleading to announce something like the Avengers E-ticket, Poppins, Main Street Theater, Original new Epcot Hub plans, etc in years past only for them to be cancelled or put on hold because when they announced it at D23 (because they felt like they HAD to announce something), all they were really doing was announcing a blue sky concept.

Those blue sky concepts they announced over the years were just ideas and announced because they felt like they needed to announce something. Sure they had art, but they had no real idea of what the stuff they were announcing was actually going to be. If they are going to announce stuff like that, i'd rather they do it like today and give us warning that it may not happen as they are still working on it.

I get the perceived need to announce something major, there was always going to be overzealous rumors and extreme hype. The internet is almost guaranteed to raise expectations beyond the reasonable. And I appreciate the situation they are in. Ground the panel in more realism, and risk killing one of your biggest days of the convention. Or offer pre-apologies and “blue-sky” maybes, get some immediate hype, buy time, and keep your event exciting. But at this point, what’s the threshold for damage done?

Luckily, all of this is moot if they actually deliver a fraction of what that promise. I think @GadgetGuru ‘s take may be the closest to reality.

I would rather either Coco or Encanto (which I thought to be a better movie) to go into DHS as well. They could find a way to add it to Animation Courtyard or in that area. Of course, the DHS layout is a mess no matter what they do.
The DHS layout isn't ideal, but it can be fixed with one more major influx of cash. They've already massively improved the layout from what it was, but half of the park is still a mess.

I get the perceived need to announce something major, there was always going to be overzealous rumors and extreme hype. The internet is almost guaranteed to raise expectations beyond the reasonable. And I appreciate the situation they are in. Ground the panel in more realism, and risk killing one of your biggest days of the convention. Or offer pre-apologies and “blue-sky” maybes, get some immediate hype, buy time, and keep your event exciting. But at this point, what’s the threshold for damage done?

Luckily, all of this is moot if they actually deliver a fraction of what that promise. I think @GadgetGuru ‘s take may be the closest to reality.
I agree, the WDW stuff is probably a lot based on how they think EU is going to do, but you can't wait for it to open to start building things. EU is so obviously going to be extremely popular. Start building now and maybe you'll have things ready by the time Lord of the Rings opens at EU.

I mean goodness, just commit already. I just want to feel like they're actually doing something and right now, even though they announced a crap ton of blue sky stuff, I don't feel like anything is actually happening, which, like I said, is why I came out of today's panel most excited for HEA, a show i've already seen more times than I can possibly count. Because that's *actually* happening. Other than that, this panel was a bunch of "maybe we'll do this but don't hold us accountable if we don't do it".

Reactions: SkiBum and Nico
Always remember....Disney management is arrogant. But their arrogance causes them to often make poor long term decisions. If Universal didn't experience a rebirth starting with Potter, there would probably only be a small SW land
around Echo Lake, no Pandora, no Mickey RR, no Guardians, no Toy Story Land, no Tron and a much smaller New Fantasyland comprised mainly of M&G's.

Reactions: frank_1991_
Always remember....Disney management is arrogant. But their arrogance causes them to often make poor long term decisions. If Universal didn't experience a rebirth starting with Potter, there would probably only be a small SW land
around Echo Lake, no Pandora, no Mickey RR, no Guardians, no Toy Story Land, no Tron and a much smaller New Fantasyland comprised mainly of M&G's.
So - thanks Universal?

Reactions: Mad Dog