Deadpool & Wolverine (2024) | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

Deadpool & Wolverine (2024)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
What exactly did yall expect from a Deadpool film?
If anything, it exceeded my expectations, because I don't like either of the previous two movies at all, really.

I think this is easily the best of the three, primarily because Jackman actually brings it in a real performance, not a spoof one. That said, it still has issues.

Reactions: Jake S
The best MCU film we’ve gotten in a long time (and it sure is weird seeing the MCU logo before a Deadpool film. Yup, Deadpool is officially a part of the MCU), but it doesn’t save the MCU by any means. The plot is threadbare, acting as more of an excuse for superb laughs and phenomenal cameos. Hugh Jackman is great as a drunken, self-tortured, A-hole Wolverine and Ryan Reynolds continues to shine as Deadpool.

The chemistry Reynolds and Jackman have is perfect, and there are multiple fight scenes the two share. Every single fight scene is fantastic (not just the ones between our leads, but every single one). It’s so satisfying to watch Jackman gallop on all fours, and pounce with claws extended. He might be the most comic accurate Wolverine yet (At least, as far as his costume and the way he moves and fights), just don’t expect a performance on the same level as Logan.

Cassandra Nova is honestly a pretty lame villain (no shade to Emma Corrin. She embodies the role super well). Cassandra is given little character and nary a hint of motivation besides: “I’m evil, deal with it”. Honestly, Matthew Macfadyen is more memorable as Mr. Paradox, a TVA official with dreams of bigger and better things. He makes for a great secondary antagonist.

Dog pool steals every damn scene she is in. The opening ten minutes or so (including the credits fight) is an all-timer, and the multiple needle-drops featured are PERFECTION. As far as cameos go, there’s one that happens around the end of the first act/beginning of the second act that had me cheering. The character in question has a decent amount of screen time and is easily one of the best and most memorable parts of the film.

Deadpool and Wolverine is a very messy and chaotic film. It doesn’t quite rank as one of the best of 2024, but it is incredibly funny and is some of the most fun you’ll have in a movie theater this year. It’s also a surprisingly heart-felt goodbye to the Fox superhero films. It gives audiences exactly what they were asking for.

I’m torn between 3.5 and 4 Stars. I want to say 3.5 because the plot and villain are definitely lacking, but I also want to say 4 because the laughs and cameos were superb, and the entertainment level was very high.

Last edited:
Reactions: belloq87
The best MCU film we’ve gotten in a long time (and it sure is weird seeing the MCU logo before a Deadpool film. Yup, Deadpool is officially a part of the MCU), but it doesn’t save the MCU by any means. The plot is threadbare, acting as more of an excuse for superb laughs and phenomenal cameos. Hugh Jackman is great as a drunken, self-tortured, A-hole Wolverine and Ryan Reynolds continues to shine as Deadpool.

The chemistry Reynolds and Jackman have is perfect, and there are multiple fight scenes the two share. Every single fight scene is fantastic (not just the ones between our leads, but every single one). It’s so satisfying to watch Jackman gallop on all fours, and pounce with claws extended. He might be the most comic accurate Wolverine yet (At least, as far as his costume and the way he moves and fights), just don’t expect a performance on the same level as Logan.

Cassandra Nova is honestly a pretty lame villain (no shade to Emma Corrin. She embodies the role super well). Cassandra is given little character and nary a hint of motivation besides: “I’m evil, deal with it”. Honestly, Matthew Macfadyen is more memorable as Mr. Paradox, a TVA official with dreams of bigger and better things. He makes for a great secondary antagonist.

Dog pool steals every damn scene she is in. The opening ten minutes or so (including the credits fight) is an all-timer, and the multiple needle-drops featured are PERFECTION. As far as cameos go, there’s one that happens around the end of the first act/beginning of the second act that had me cheering. The character in question has a decent amount of screen time and is easily one of the best and most memorable parts of the film.

Deadpool and Wolverine is a very messy and chaotic film. It doesn’t quite rank as one of the best of 2024, but it is incredibly funny and is some of the most fun you’ll have in a movie theater this year. It’s also a surprisingly heart-felt goodbye to the Fox superhero films. It gives audiences exactly what they were asking for.

I’m torn between 3.5 and 4 Stars. I want to say 3.5 because the plot and villain are definitely lacking, but I also want to say 4 because the laughs and cameos were superb, and the entertainment level was very high.
I personally think this is Jackman’s second best performance as the character, only behind Logan. He was fantastic.

If anything, it exceeded my expectations, because I don't like either of the previous two movies at all, really.

I think this is easily the best of the three, primarily because Jackman actually brings it in a real performance, not a spoof one. That said, it still has issues.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's perfect either. Nova is pretty weak as a villain, and the "debauchery" was a little too on the nose in the first 30 minutes. Some of the action scenes could have been framed a little better, too.

I just don't entirely agree that the plot is messy, but it is very simple. I expected an expletive-filled, violent, fun 2-hour film, and that's exactly what they delivered. There's a little bit of heart to it, but it's more on a surface level.

But at the end of the day, it's Deadpool - and that's the character. Everything is META. As I said before, the film was intended as a send-off to Fox's timeline; and the disintegrating plot/The VOID seems to be an allegory to Disney ditching it to make their new X-Men set in the 616 timeline.

It wasn't for me

ohhh this character you wanted to finally see played by X.....well he is not the same character just a cartoon version of said character for a joke.

Outside of Cavill, which it's possible he may be the new Wolvie in the MCU X-Men, each cameo served as a nice joke/purpose. So 1?

I'll give the movie this, too: seeing a version of this iconic image realized in live action...
clean.jpg
... is something I truly never thought I'd ever see, and it made me smile.

Cassandra Nova is honestly a pretty lame villain (no shade to Emma Corrin. She embodies the role super well). Cassandra is given little character and nary a hint of motivation besides: “I’m evil, deal with it”.
I thought Corrin's performance was fun.

But I have no idea what the character is doing in the last third of this movie.
Appealing to her humanity (for lack of a better word) via Charles seemed to be a nice touch, and momentarily justified why she helped Deadpool and Wolverine escape... but then she's just back in pure villain mode right away after that. It is absolutely nonsensical, given her actions in the fourth act, that she would have actively helped them. But the script needed it to happen.

Reactions: Brian G.
But I have no idea what the character is doing in the last third of this movie.
Appealing to her humanity (for lack of a better word) via Charles seemed to be a nice touch, and momentarily justified why she helped Deadpool and Wolverine escape... but then she's just back in pure villain mode right away after that. It is absolutely nonsensical, given her actions in the fourth act, that she would have actively helped them. But the script needed it to happen.

She was willing to let them go as a one-off since all they wanted was to go home and didn't care about her or the VOID. Once she found out about the Paradox plot, that triggered her anger - and it just so happened that Wolvie and Pool were there, too. I mean, it's clear she's highly unstable so you don't need much a push to go back.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's perfect either. Nova is pretty weak as a villain, and the "debauchery" was a little too on the nose in the first 30 minutes. Some of the action scenes could have been framed a little better, too.

I just don't entirely agree that the plot is messy, but it is very simple. I expected an expletive-filled, violent, fun 2-hour film, and that's exactly what they delivered. There's a little bit of heart to it, but it's more on a surface level.

But at the end of the day, it's Deadpool - and that's the character. Everything is META. As I said before, the film was intended as a send-off to Fox's timeline; and the disintegrating plot/The VOID seems to be an allegory to Disney ditching it to make their new X-Men set in the 616 timeline.

Outside of Cavill, which it's possible he may be the new Wolvie in the MCU X-Men, each cameo served as a nice joke/purpose. So 1?

Gampit. I did not find it funny or that cool. He felt like out of the Flash in terms of bad CGI costume.

Gampit. I did not find it funny or that cool. He felt like out of the Flash in terms of bad CGI costume.

Gambit was a nod to the unproduced film. Tatum was cast and everything. They even make several jokes about it. That he felt he was "born in the VOID".

And the costume was comic-accurate and didn't look CGI.