Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem (USF) | Page 95 | Inside Universal Forums

Despicable Me: Minion Mayhem (USF)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I think what he's saying is that with the potential CityWalk Uni Store expansion, they could decide that the main Universal Store in Studios is unnecessary and demo it to build a Minions Playplace/Diner right in front of the entrance for DM:MM.

I don't think it's all too likely to happen, I assume that existing Universal Store makes quite a bit of revenue with it's placement and all. I've never heard the RRR Silly Fun Land overlay idea though!

Ahh ok. Yeah - they’re not gonna do that. That store ain’t going anywhere.

Even though this is hard for me to say, I would close down monsters cafe reuse that area for a SLOP redo. The Slop in Hollywood is bout 24,993 square feet, and the monster's cafe area in UNiversal is about 31,690 square feet with it abut to the Transformers building. There is enough room, but the shape of the building would have to be reworked. I just like the idea of the exterior used at Hollywood to be next to that central park area and would go so well with the New York area.

As much as I like Monsters Cafe, I'd be all for this idea if they could make it work in that space.

And then still replace Shrek with something else.

Reactions: soilsigh
Im sorry but what does the CityWalk store have to do with Minions expansion?

I think what he's saying is that with the potential CityWalk Uni Store expansion, they could decide that the main Universal Store in Studios is unnecessary and demo it to build a Minions Playplace/Diner right in front of the entrance for DM:MM.

I don't think it's all too likely to happen, I assume that existing Universal Store makes quite a bit of revenue with it's placement and all. I've never heard the RRR Silly Fun Land overlay idea though!

GA-MBIT is right. I didn't think it likely either but I know it was mentioned in another thread about possible replacements of the universal store for an Epic UNiverse display or a restaurant. I was just throwing in my 2 cents. If they are building a bigger store in City walk, I was just thinking they may want to close the older store and replace it for something else.

Reactions: GA-MBIT
GA-MBIT is right. I didn't think it likely either but I know it was mentioned in another thread about possible replacements of the universal store for an Epic UNiverse display or a restaurant. I was just throwing in my 2 cents. If they are building a bigger store in City walk, I was just thinking they may want to close the older store and replace it for something else.

Well the rumored store in CityWalk is to replace the existing one in CityWalk. It’s not meant to replace the exit shops at each park.

Reactions: Coolbfitz
Well the rumored store in CityWalk is to replace the existing one in CityWalk. It’s not meant to replace the exit shops at each park.
There was a Universal store in CityWalk? I thought they were stores of other brands. If they are making additional Universal stores to increase revenue that makes sense. I get it.

I fully expect Monsters Cafe to close when EU opens or around that time. Question is, overlay it with another restaurant or tear down for a small ride? It'd be cool if the SLOP plot actually fits the Monsters plot. Then Shrek can become another ride, or the "Illumination Theatre", or just use another one of their properties for another ride. Heck maybe even another Minions ride but I doubt they double down on 2 big attractions for Minions. If anything a Minions/Villain Con restaurant in the Monsters Cafe plot, SLOP in Shrek, make all the more sense to me. Gotta do something for this area though imo.

I didn't know there was a Universal store in CityWalk. I was under the impression that stores like piq and some others were closing down to make a first time ever Universal store in city walk. Good to know. Thank you.

I fully expect Monsters Cafe to close when EU opens or around that time. Question is, overlay it with another restaurant or tear down for a small ride? It'd be cool if the SLOP plot actually fits the Monsters plot. Then Shrek can become another ride, or the "Illumination Theatre", or just use another one of their properties for another ride. Heck maybe even another Minions ride but I doubt they double down on 2 big attractions for Minions. If anything a Minions/Villain Con restaurant in the Monsters Cafe plot, SLOP in Shrek, make all the more sense to me. Gotta do something for this area though imo.
Couldn't agree with you more that something needs to be done in this area. I was very disappointed with Universal Studios Florida on my last trip in October. (IOA is still fantastic and getting better every day!)I hadn't visited in 5 years and would now rank what once was my favorite park ever as probably my least favorite Orlando park. Luckily, I was there for HHN so it made the park more bearable because HHN was amazing!

I wouldn't mind two rides for Minions. Every other Universal park has a whole land for minions and Orlando just gets one ride for their third biggest franchise after Jurassic World and F&F. It doesn't seem right. I would really like to see something on the villains rather than focusing on Gru and the girls. TBH I would take anything new in this area that is not screens and that would take away the studio look. The studio building look worked when the park was about making movies but now it just seems off-putting to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: belloq87
Major resurrection of this thread lol. What are the chances of the 3D effects returning? I really did not enjoy this ride last time I rode it. I heard costs of 3D are high, but it's only money and Universal prints it.

• Sad
Reactions: Mad Dog
Major resurrection of this thread lol. What are the chances of the 3D effects returning? I really did not enjoy this ride last time I rode it. I heard costs of 3D are high, but it's only money and Universal prints it.
Seeing how it’s rumored that they’re looking to remove 3D from other attractions, I’d say unlikely.

Yes, the ride is significantly worse without 3D. And USF version, with it's small screen, is lesser than the Japan & Hollywood theaters.

In what world did universal think taking away 3d would improve guest satisfaction. This line had a capacity limited on wait anyways and is less popular than ever. Even at USH it was glaringly obvious the ride was made for 3d. I hope with the new ride in place they can add 3d back.

In what world did universal think taking away 3d would improve guest satisfaction. This line had a capacity limited on wait anyways and is less popular than ever. Even at USH it was glaringly obvious the ride was made for 3d. I hope with the new ride in place they can add 3d back.
Probably a save money issue more than anything else. The off hours testing of Gringotts, a very popular attraction, without glasses, is probably indicative of the cutting costs mind set. All this, with the background of record profits.

Probably a save money issue more than anything else. The off hours testing of Gringotts, a very popular attraction, without glasses, is probably indicative of the cutting costs mind set. All this, with the background of record profits.
when FJ was no longer 3D it was 100% due to staffing issues. The work needed to have the glasses cleaned stocked and handed out to guest became too much. plus, I think the ride works better without 3d.

Reactions: Mad Dog
when FJ was no longer 3D it was 100% due to staffing issues. The work needed to have the glasses cleaned stocked and handed out to guest became too much. plus, I think the ride works better without 3d.
Yes, it originally opened at IOA without 3D, and never really needed it. But unfortunately, with DM and Gringotts, 3D is the essential core of the film effects. F&F at USF suffers also, and Kong would be much lesser without 3D.

Reactions: DodgsonHere
At least with forbidden journey there was an argument to be made that the domes were still immersive and the physical sets were not really integrated into screens anyways. Plus people get sick on that ride even with no 3d. With Gringotts where a lot of physical sets are merged with screens behind it woul be terrible for them to remove 3d.

At least with forbidden journey there was an argument to be made that the domes were still immersive and the physical sets were not really integrated into screens anyways. Plus people get sick on that ride even with no 3d. With Gringotts where a lot of physical sets are merged with screens behind it woul be terrible for them to remove 3d.

Forbidden Journey was not initially designed for 3D - it was shoehorned in later. Gringotts was.

Reactions: Coolbfitz
Forbidden Journey was not initially designed for 3D - it was shoehorned in later. Gringotts was.
It was to create hype for the Hollywood version. It didn’t really add to the experience so they opted for 4K projectors after. They be looking dim now tho.