Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Diagon Alley USH

AJ Hummel speculates that there are three options afloat:

(1) Diagon Alley in Waterworld location without Escape from Gringotts

(2) Diagon Alley in Mummy territory on lower lot (currently favored, he believes)

(3) Fantastic Beasts land (!) in Mummy territory (TBD upon popularity of film next fall)
Forgive my ignorance but who is AJ Hummel?

Last edited by a moderator:
I know I'm beating a dead horse, but how would they incorporate Diagon Alley into WaterWorld's current footprint with Take 5 right next door?
Is it beyond possibility that Take 5 could be removed? Sure, they just renovated it. But does that mean it is not even possible that in a year or two it could be torn down for this very popular attraction?

Is it beyond possibility that Take 5 could be removed? Sure, they just renovated it. But does that mean it is not even possible that in a year or two it could be torn down for this very popular attraction?
Even if the building were demolished, they'd need to truncate Diagon Alley to fit into the WaterWorld plot. The land is larger than Hogsmeade.

When people refer to Diagon, I'm making the assumption that we're referring to the land and the attraction.

AJ Hummel speculates that there are three options afloat:

(1) Diagon Alley in Waterworld location without Escape from Gringotts

(2) Diagon Alley in Mummy territory on lower lot (currently favored, he believes)

(3) Fantastic Beasts land (!) in Mummy territory (TBD upon popularity of film next fall)

AJ is a very well informed guy in the coaster community, I'd more than likely believe him if he were to have any news come this way. Wonder where he heard option 1 though, as I've heard of the other two options before (Number 2 seeming the most plausible) with Option 1 being completely unlikely. 

I also take into account Gringott's when mentioning Diagon in any form, can't imagine it without it. 

Wanna know how silly it sounds to have Diagon Alley replace WaterWorld? Now imagine the entire Jaws ride replacing WaterWorld. Sound silly and unrealistic, hu? You're welcome.

Also, there is no Diagon Alley without Gringotts and vice versa.

Um... there is a difference between a land that builds upwards and a large water-based ride that requires very deep trenches for mechanical sharks & the boats themselves. Not a glorified overly themed shopping district with a 3D ride. 

And the fact of the matter is, the DA in Waterworld's location rumor does exist & isn't new. And considering what we have seen already, all of you should be fully aware by now that NOTHING is sacred and/or untouchable in this park when it comes to them building something new. The entire park and its surrounding backlot is on the chopping block to redefine itself, so instead of shooting down the rumor of "DA taking over _______", we should add it to the list & take note of how many times it (and other rumored projects) get mentioned. Sure a lot of rumors can stem from casual lurkers reading the forums & passing them resulting in it coming back to one of us. It is the great circle of theme park life. But as I stated in my previous post, my original source had made the off-handed comment of it earlier tonight, which is why I passed it along, but it is, as I said, an "i'll believe it when I see it" rumor. 

What I was originally told over a year or so ago, was that it was between the Upper Lot (waterworld) & the Lower Lot (no specific location at the time). It was always about budget & a few other factors. As for Gringotts, I wouldn't rule it out, but in all honesty, I wouldn't want it. At least not in the current form that Orlando has it. Its bad enough we have a clone of "Harry Potter & The Greatest Hits: The Ride - 3D". No matter the location of DA, USH can & will change it from its original Orlando form to fit their needs/space. We have seen it with Simpsons, DM, even Hogsmeade.

In regards to those 3 DA options, you guys are looking at option #1 all wrong btw... he says DA without "Escape from Gringotts", that means... without the ride, NOT Gringotts itself. If USH doesn't feel like fitting the bill for a full fledged 3D simulator Mummy 2.0, they can still provide the "banking" experience.

Its bad enough we have a clone of "Harry Potter & The Greatest Hits: The Ride - 3D". No matter the location of DA, USH can & will change it from its original Orlando form to fit their needs/space. We have seen it with Simpsons, DM, even Hogsmeade.

In regards to those 3 DA options, you guys are looking at option #1 all wrong btw... he says DA without "Escape from Gringotts", that means... without the ride, NOT Gringotts itself. If USH doesn't feel like fitting the bill for a full fledged 3D simulator Mummy 2.0, they can still provide the "banking" experience.
I disagree on Forbidden Journey. What could possibly be bad to build a ride that is considered by many the best dark ride in the world right now? And it will be 3D enhanced over IOA's version. Hogsmeade will be bigger as well, although without the Dragon Challenge (which already existed in a different form when IOA's was built anyway).

My personal opinion is that if Universal can't get Diagon Alley into the park in the next 3.5 years that it should move on to Fantastic Beasts. Whatever comes next should come with the same level of effort/detail and immersion as Diagon -- but it should become reality before 2020 to balance the crowds coming. If they wait until 2017 to even just decide then I suspect it will get too late for Diagon.

The entire park and its surrounding backlot is on the chopping block to redefine itself...
No one is questioning the feasibility of the Lower Lot as an option, though everyone in this thread is questioning the viability of Diagon Alley taking over the WaterWorld plot. You're combining the WaterWorld theory with all the others into an argument that no one on this forum is making. Specificity is key.

...so instead of shooting down the rumor of "DA taking over _______", we should add it to the list & take note of how many times it (and other rumored projects) get mentioned. Sure a lot of rumors can stem from casual lurkers reading the forums & passing them resulting in it coming back to one of us. It is the great circle of theme park life. But as I stated in my previous post, my original source had made the off-handed comment of it earlier tonight, which is why I passed it along, but it is, as I said, an "i'll believe it when I see it" rumor.
That may be what other communities do, but that's certainly not the purpose of this one. Our goal is to disseminate rumors and speculation into something that's somewhat within the realm of possibility. Speculation for the sake of speculation is useless, and it doesn't contribute to the conversation.

Truth can come out of debate, and debating possible theories and placing some higher than others is what we should pursue.

No matter the location of DA, USH can & will change it from its original Orlando form to fit their needs/space. We have seen it with Simpsons, DM, even Hogsmeade.
In that case, how would you propose modifying WaterWorld? Would you take out Take 5 and the adjacent CityWalk shops? Would Hogsmeade receive a modification, or will Hollywood be receiving a truncated version of the land?

In regards to those 3 DA options, you guys are looking at option #1 all wrong btw... he says DA without "Escape from Gringotts", that means... without the ride, NOT Gringotts itself. If USH doesn't feel like fitting the bill for a full fledged 3D simulator Mummy 2.0, they can still provide the "banking" experience.
No one's looking at option one the wrong way. We're all referring to the possible absence of the attraction itself, not the facade or bank.

Building Diagon Alley without the Gringotts ride is an absurd idea, especially in today's competitive theme park environment. Nobody is poo-poo-ing it because they have an attachment to WaterWorld (although some people in this thread seem a little bitter about Jaws ironically), it's because it doesn't make sense.

Period. They can not logically build the land without cutting into some pretty important facilities and the exisiting WWoHP itself. That's why people are not quick to believe it.

Um... there is a difference between a land that builds upwards and a large water-based ride that requires very deep trenches for mechanical sharks & the boats themselves. Not a glorified overly themed shopping district with a 3D ride. 
It's called being realistic. USH isn't going to create a half-assed Diagon Alley to squeeze the hell out of it into WaterWorld's footprint, they're not repeating past mistakes anymore, they're going all out from here on out. We might get something that has a slightly different layout, but it would be in a REALISTIC location. Shoving it right next to Hogsmeade makes absolutely no sense both in the context of the Wizarding World as well as this ridiculous proposed location.

Ridiculous rumors for the sake of sparking heated debates is what makes certain "rodent" sites unbearable. We can speculate and address rumors, that's fun and all as long as we base them in reality, but to insist on the far fetched and unrealistic is silly.

And again, no Diagon Alley without a ride based on/inside Gringotts........period.

^ I'd certainly visit DA wherever they put it, but unless Universal plans to build more around that location, I think it would make more sense to add it to the lower lot where additional attractions exist, as opposed to a landlocked location. But again, I'll take it wherever they stick it.

I could see them cut maybe a few things from our Diagon Alley if we were pressed for size in the Lower Lot, like the extra new covered street they developed for the land, as well as possibly Knockturn Alley, which would be a shame. But I think if it does come, it'll be a faithful recreation of what is found in Florida. It would also be incredible if our version was an EXPANDED version and included a Ministry of Magic attraction from the getgo!

^If they cut Nocturn Alley, I would be gravely disappointed. Walking through there felt like an attraction in and of itself. It reminded me of Blue Buyou. Nocturn STAYS. End of discussion. :)

I actually hope they put DA in the current tram loading. That seems like the most ideal location. If they put it on the lower lot, it would take up way too much space that could potentially be used for at least a second E-ticket and maybe a show venue. If that JW rumor I heard is true, they would be better off doing this approach.

At waterworld, no. On the Studio Tour loading and backstage area next to Curious George, it's possible.

Fascinating concept but I personally think the Tram Loading area is an awful location to place Diagon Alley. Is it possible? Sure. Not likely to happen though considering how they decided to layout the park and F&F. 

I sincerely hope they would keep Knockturn Alley. I think I enjoyed it more than the rest of DA??? Plus having all of the Deatheater/dark arts merchandise all together was very nice.

If anything, they should get rid of the store that was at the end of Gringotts. Move the Gringotts specific merch from there into the money exchange.