Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Diagon Alley USH

Fascinating concept but I personally think the Tram Loading area is an awful location to place Diagon Alley. Is it possible? Sure. Not likely to happen though considering how they decided to layout the park and F&F. 
I agree -- I don't think US would sink hundreds of millions into a location that is a dead end. If they planned to develop around it I would feel differently. Otherwise, there's no easy way for the crowd to disperse out of there other than returning the way they came. Put the Express there, and build the lower lot out already.

Last edited by a moderator:
honestly i think the demolition of Soundstage 28 should have proved that Universal is absolutely willing to sacrifice studio space for the theme park and getting rid of Mummy and the adjacent soundstages is the most realistic way we'll get Diagon Alley in Hollywood

the more interesting question is really if they'll keep the Hogwarts Express and if so alter it in some way cause it's not absolutely necessary as it is a glorified tram ride, we're already getting a Hogsmeade without Dragon Challenge so it's not too much of a stretch to imagine a Diagon Alley without Hogwarts Express

honestly i think the demolition of Soundstage 28 should have proved that Universal is absolutely willing to sacrifice studio space for the theme park and getting rid of Mummy and the adjacent soundstages is the most realistic way we'll get Diagon Alley in Hollywood

the more interesting question is really if they'll keep the Hogwarts Express and if so alter it in some way cause it's not absolutely necessary as it is a glorified tram ride, we're already getting a Hogsmeade without Dragon Challenge so it's not too much of a stretch to imagine a Diagon Alley without Hogwarts Express
The reason why we didn't get Dragon Challenge was because it was already there. They couldn't tear it down due to its popularity.We didn't get it because there was no reason to have it. Space and noise restrictions would not allow it. 

No reason to have Dueling Dragons!? ...errr Dragon Challenge.. 

Thats not exactly true... every park needs an elm street!.... errr i mean a dueling coaster... errr a former dueling coaster..

The reason why we didn't get Dragon Challenge was because it was already there. They couldn't tear it down due to its popularity.We didn't get it because there was no reason to have it. Space and noise restrictions would not allow it. 
well that is true, what i'm trying to get at is "how important is the Hogwarts Express?" the one thing that makes it so important in Florida is being a unique and convenient way to connect both parks, but since both of them are gonna be in the same park in Hollywood, would it even be worth the trouble to bring over here intact?

i can see 3 things that could happen:

1) they make it a stationary ride which to some would take away the charm

2) and this is highly unlikely, but actually make a full Hogwarts Express that connects to Hogsmeade on the Upper Lot

3) just not clone at all

i'd like for 2 to happen just as much as anyone but we'd have to take into account the logistics nightmare to figure out where the tracks would be on the hill and not interfere with the trams too much

^ I think Hogwarts Express connecting the lots can be done running alongside the road without disrupting it. I expect challenges there but they've done similar before (i.e. elevate the tracks to allow road use). I don't think the train effect would be lessened going up or down a hill.  I'd expect the challenge is how gradual they can make the grade and necessary turns and if there are any regulations around what they can do on those hills. If anything it would feel more realistic.

The Express is a big hit in Florida, particularly because of the capacity. With the two trains I believe can handle more guests than the other Potter rides, making it a big attraction. I just think another way to connect the two lots would be tremendous, particularly if the longer term plan is to grow the lower lot. And that you don't have to buy a park-to-park ticket, making it cheaper to ride than in Florida.

It would be an absolute shame to not include the Hogwarts Express. It would also be a big hit here and is such a unique experience, and I'm sure they can be smart in how they strategically build it here even with our weird terrain and park/studio layout.

And of course us having it all be part of one park instead of two would also make it pretty unique!

I just heard that ugly rumor again -- the one where they build Diagon Alley without Escape from Gringots. So here's the question that's haunting me: Could such an area fit where Waterworld is? Then you would have two shopping areas anchored by one attraction: Forbidden Journey. 

It feels like the kind of thing that an accountant might come up with and that would appeal to the MBA's running the company. However, my impression is that Comcast actually has someone with some theme park savvy running the theme park division. So, I feel this scenario is unlikely. But I still wonder, is it physically possible?

I just heard that ugly rumor again -- the one where they build Diagon Alley without Escape from Gringots. So here's the question that's haunting me: Could such an area fit where Waterworld is? Then you would have two shopping areas anchored by one attraction: Forbidden Journey. 

It feels like the kind of thing that an accountant might come up with and that would appeal to the MBA's running the company. However, my impression is that Comcast actually has someone with some theme park savvy running the theme park division. So, I feel this scenario is unlikely. But I still wonder, is it physically possible?
IU wrote a great article, showing what they think on locations if Diagon is indeed coming (which it extremely seems like it).

http://insideuniversal.net/2016/01/where-could-diagon-alley-go-at-universal-studios-hollywood/

As for what i'd think..it can't be done unless you want to get rid of a major chunk of Citywalk, which that isn't going to happen anytime soon.

IU wrote a great article, showing what they think on locations if Diagon is indeed coming (which it extremely seems like it).

http://insideuniversal.net/2016/01/where-could-diagon-alley-go-at-universal-studios-hollywood/

As for what i'd think..it can't be done unless you want to get rid of a major chunk of Citywalk, which that isn't going to happen anytime soon.
The article makes it sound like Diagon Alley would physically fit on the Waterworld plot if Gringotts were eliminated from the plans. Yikes. That's what I was afraid of. It may well be that plans to put Diagon Alley in that location are dependent on Gringotts not being included. Therefore, it's fairly safe conclusion that if they want to include Gringotts, Diagon Alley will have to go on the lower lot.

I'm going to say at one point they must have seriously been considering the no-Gringotts option, since the LA Times claimed to have see the plans for a version of Diagon Alley on the Waterworld property. Let's hope Warner Bros. and JK step in to prevent this possibility from happening.

Personally wanting to point this out,

With Hogsmeade preforming what some people have called, "below expectations"; could it be possible that Diagon's location is more decided? In a way; I just wanted to put that out there for food of thought, as it could make sense; granted if Goatmilks rumor a while back is correct of Mummy getting replaced by Nintendo.

It could also explain why we could see Mummy stay one more year after this year; so you can keep capacity at its best in the Lower Lot for now.

(Also, take in mind that this is more of a personal thought)

Do we think they'll announce DA before the end of the year or wait for this new land to be at least a year old before announcing? 

My guess is that they will make an announcement around the same time they close down whatever they need to close down to make room for Diagon Alley.