Disney Cruise Line | Inside Universal Forums
  • Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disney Cruise Line

Happytycho

Mar 1, 2017
No. I believe it’s a matter of “when one stops construction the next one starts”
This is true in a general sense but they build multiple at a time so it when construction starts on a specific ship depends on the build order and how many are being built at once. It's further complicated by there being multiple shipyards involved, as Neptun Werft builds the floating engine room units for large ships at both Meyer Werft and Meyer Turku.

Royal Caribbean's Odyssey of the Seas was recently floated out of Meyer Werft's hall 6, which means that construction of the first Disney Wish mega block can soon begin. The Wish floating engine room unit is now visible on Meyer Werft's webcams.

Hopefully Disney will release more information about the ship's unique features and initial itineraries in the next few months. The (fleetwide) deployments could be quite interesting because
DCL is now overcommitted to ports for 2023-2024 following the delay of the 6th and 7th ships.

Magic Feather

Apr 19, 2019
This is true in a general sense but they build multiple at a time so it when construction starts on a specific ship depends on the build order and how many are being built at once. It's further complicated by there being multiple shipyards involved, as Neptun Werft builds the floating engine room units for large ships at both Meyer Werft and Meyer Turku.

Royal Caribbean's Odyssey of the Seas was recently floated out of Meyer Werft's hall 6, which means that construction of the first Disney Wish mega block can soon begin. The Wish floating engine room unit is now visible on Meyer Werft's webcams.

Hopefully Disney will release more information about the ship's unique features and initial itineraries in the next few months. The (fleetwide) deployments could be quite interesting because
DCL is now overcommitted to ports for 2023-2024 following the delay of the 6th and 7th ships.
It's definitely an interesting process.

Also, in a sans-covid world, I'm under the impression that we would have already had our first major info dump on the Triton Class's unique features. Blue Sky for these ships was absolutely crazy, so I'm interested to see how much was cut to make the final product.

Reactions: Happytycho

Happytycho

Mar 1, 2017
It's definitely an interesting process.

Also, in a sans-covid world, I'm under the impression that we would have already had our first major info dump on the Triton Class's unique features. Blue Sky for these ships was absolutely crazy, so I'm interested to see how much was cut to make the final product.
Yeah, if it was launching in January 2022 then I would expect the maiden voyages to already be on sale and presumably the first info dump needs to happen before that. Now, with the delay to summer 2022, we're probably looking at sometime in the first half of next year for the initial info release.

I haven't followed speculation very closely, but I'm definitely curious to see how the new ships compare to the dream class. I know there's been stuff said about how they're similar in size, so it will be interesting to see how much is really the same. The few released concept images suggest that the biggest changes could be to common areas - the top decks and some lower decks (deck 5?). I'm sure part of that is just having more concierge rooms, but hopefully there's also some new and innovative stuff to help keep Disney a level above the other large cruise lines rather than just being a copycat.

Happytycho

Mar 1, 2017
The first large section of the Disney Wish is now being assembled in the back of Meyer Werft's hall 6, but little progress can be publicly seen because the Wish was removed from Meyer Werft's webcams shortly after discernible elements started becoming visible.

I still think that Disney will need to release more information about the ship soon because I believe that their current intent is to have the maiden voyage in the first half of June 2022.

joelbryant11

Jul 12, 2017
Orlando, FL
They made a lot of bold changes. I never expected them to go full IP with the MDRs, but I’m here for it. Especially the MCU-based one. The Star Wars bar/lounge is a great idea. I dislike how they decimated the size of the adults-only pool deck in favor of a larger concierge pool deck

Nick

Staff member
Sep 22, 2011
Orlando
So, just wanted to mention that Disney seems to really be doubling down on Boarding Groups as they've brought them to the Cruise Line. I have not been on a Disney sailing yet, but seeing videos and posts of people who were on the first sailing back out with paying guests, they are making you book a BG to get off the ship at Castaway Cay.

The Dream is running at extremely limited capacity currently from what i've seen and supposedly the BGs aren't really needed much right now, but I can only imagine once there are 4000+ guests on the ship and they have the BG system in place how much of a nightmare that will be as it will truly piss people off. Disney isn't even really leading the cruise market as far as i'm concerned when it comes to family cruising (I think Royal takes the cake on that), so Disney needs to be careful with how far they push it because there are a lot of other options out there on the cruise market. Disney has sort of gotten guests used to a WDW vacation being difficult and they get away with it, but a cruise is meant to be relaxing and having to book reservations to leave the ship is not what i'd call relaxing.