Disney May Buy Food Network | Inside Universal Forums

Disney May Buy Food Network

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I don't know how to feel about this. I love all three of those networks, not to mention DIY and Travel Channel, too.

I suppose this gives them even more reason to put celebrity chef restaurants around property. Plus, I guess if they own the brand, we could see something like, "Epcot International Food & Wine Festival: Presented by Food Network".

But on the other hand, I love all of the current programming, and with Disney at the wheel who knows what they might attempt. Then again, perhaps Disney is simply trying to boost its stranglehold on various channel platforms, considering how Comcast now controls all of the many NBCUniversal networks.

food network has gotten really bad in recent years anyway.

cupcake challenges are so pointless

Agreed, but they do have some little glimmers of goodness. As much as I can't stand Guy Fieri, "Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives" is great. And anything with Alton Brown gets my vote. Restaurant (and Dinner) Impossible is pretty good TV as well.

Agreed, but they do have some little glimmers of goodness. As much as I can't stand Guy Fieri, "Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives" is great. And anything with Alton Brown gets my vote. Restaurant (and Dinner) Impossible is pretty good TV as well.

Restaurant Impossible is one of those shows for me where I sit down at 10 PM to watch one or two, then all of a sudden it's 2 AM.

Oh, and I forgot Chopped! :lol:

Although sometimes it can get a bit aggrevating. "Your ingredients are flank steak, cotton candy, boogers, and creme freiche. MAKE IT EDIBLE, GO!"

Yes! Stop trying to make as much money as you can!

Yes! Disney should stop forcing these networks to pretend they're up for sale when it's real just a hostile takeover by the evil Mouse to keep funding the cryogenic research keeping Walt alive in Burbank.

Im pretty sure they have enough money and I personally don't like living in a world where one company owns everything.

Disney owning television and movie rights isn't the same as Disney owning everything. If anything, they own the things that DON'T matter in the grand scheme. TV networks? Film properties? Are these the monopolies you're really afraid of (not that they're near monopolizing it anyway)?

Disney owning television and movie rights isn't the same as Disney owning everything. If anything, they own the things that DON'T matter in the grand scheme. TV networks? Film properties? Are these the monopolies you're really afraid of (not that they're near monopolizing it anyway)?

TV and films are the strongest forms of media. When a company owns many media companies, they control the message. What does Disney need with Food Network and Travel Channel anyway? It's bad enough that Disney owns ABC and ESPN. I have to deal with Viacom owning 80% of my channel guide, do I need to deal with Disney owning the other 20%?

I may be crazy, that's fine, but I do not like seeing big companies owning so many different things, especially when they are cross media which have nothing to do with each other.

Considering that virtually none of the popularity of ABC, ESPN, or Marvel has diminished since the Disney buy-outs, I think it's safe to say that the virtual apocalypse is still on hold. You can sleep soundly.