Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disney Springs Discussion

Exactly, Gideon’s is simply Disney’s Voodoo Doughnuts.
Actually that’s Everglazed...

Neither Sprinkles nor Erin McKenna’s Bakery knocked it out of the park because they’re expensive and take themselves too seriously. I’ve never been in more “proper” dessert bars/bakeries (excluding the dessert room at Bern’s, but that’s different) that expect you to pay for the chef and not the item.

I personally don’t eat their cookies (not to be that guy, but they’re off the deep end unhealthy), but for me it’s a good story of a local business not just surviving the pandemic but thriving.

Actually that’s Everglazed...

Neither Sprinkles nor Erin McKenna’s Bakery knocked it out of the park because they’re expensive and take themselves too seriously. I’ve never been in more “proper” dessert bars/bakeries (excluding the dessert room at Bern’s, but that’s different) that expect you to pay for the chef and not the item.

I personally don’t eat their cookies (not to be that guy, but they’re off the deep end unhealthy), but for me it’s a good story of a local business not just surviving the pandemic but thriving.

Actually I was speaking on the aesthetics of a kitschy paranormal themed bakery, which still means Gideon’s would be Disney’s comparable option to Voodoo Doughnuts if you’re looking at it from a basic theming standpoint, which I was.

I know no one's actually mentioned the taste of these cookies yet but... it's a no from me. :lol: The chocolate is just too much. The crumb cake one wasn't bad though and goes good with a coffee (and is good for like at least 2 servings).

It's a paranormal bookstore. What's demonic about it?

They're selling shirts with pentagrams on them lol.

Do you not go to Universal? If you've seen the sheer number of pink boxes walking out to the garage every night, it becomes clear. Affordable Gram-ready treats from a kitschy bakery is the way forward for the foreseeable future.

I wasn't questioning the profitability of a bakery, just questioning the theming. It struck me as weird. I didn't know it was a local chain until I looked it up. But still weird and rather pointless to me.

They're selling shirts with pentagrams on them lol.

I wasn't questioning the profitability of a bakery, just questioning the theming. It struck me as weird. I didn't know it was a local chain until I looked it up. But still weird and rather pointless to me.

If that's the shirt you're talking about that's not a pentagram (5 pointed star in a circle). It's close-ish to either the star of Ishtar or a Native American hope symbol, but different enough that I don't think they were drawing from either. I think it's just a pseudo-magical symbol they drew to try not to offend anyone.

I think the gimmick is part of the total package. You could buy crazy shakes with a cupcake on top before Toothsome, but they added in that steampunk vibe and no question it helped garner attention (tho I'm still not sure why exactly). Can sell the best cookies in the world, still helps to have a gimmick.

If that's the shirt you're talking about that's not a pentagram (5 pointed star in a circle). It's close-ish to either the star of Ishtar or a Native American hope symbol, but different enough that I don't think they were drawing from either. I think it's just a pseudo-magical symbol they drew to try not to offend anyone.

It also says "black magic." Clearly going for a cool kid Satanism Lite vibe to appeal to the Hot Topic crowd. Because, see above, everybody needs a gimmick.

Watch how quickly Everglazed fades because they don't have a gimmick.

I think the gimmick is part of the total package. You could buy crazy shakes with a cupcake on top before Toothsome, but they added in that steampunk vibe and no question it helped garner attention (tho I'm still not sure why exactly). Can sell the best cookies in the world, still helps to have a gimmick.

It also says "black magic." Clearly going for a cool kid Satanism Lite vibe to appeal to the Hot Topic crowd. Because, see above, everybody needs a gimmick.

Watch how quickly Everglazed fades because they don't have a gimmick.
lol I feel like there's more black magic in Harry Potter

?????

64dDhc6.gif

It seems like DisTwitter kind of panned this place? I didn’t hear particularly great reviews for it.

I wonder if it has to do with the Gideon’s hype. If this opened before Gideon’s, I don’t think there would be complaints about price or quality personally.